Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
It depends what she looks like...
LOL...*smacks upside the head*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Being a woman...I'm never asked...But DH will help anyone if he/we are in the truck...but never in the other cars. Especially if the circumstances look shady! And DH always does the hook-up to the battery. Amazing how many guys get that screwed up!
DH stops at a gas station all the time on the way home from work...guy consistently comes up to him and tells him his fan belt is broken, can he "borrow" some money to get it fixed. He swears he's going to throw him an old fan belt one day and see what his reaction is.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Most car jacking occur at convenience stores and filling stations. I never get gas or anything else at places in sketchy areas. And, I'm a big guy with a CC permit.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,998,246 times
If I ever need a jump I put the hood up and the put the neg clamp on and hold up the two other clamps and someone always stops right away to help. I don't just ask a stranger to do it, I wait for a volunteer. That helps if you actually have the cables.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM

158 posts, read 269,432 times
They had all assistance available to them right there at the gas station. They just didn't want to pay the service. You did the right thing by refusing.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,466,414 times
I do a quick analysis on whether it could be a set up/agents/what have you. I tend to avoid strangers due to previous "experiences".

I used to be pretty heroic about helping strangers. Ever since the government came crashing down on the public....I've grown extrememly wary. What goes around comes around...

Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
Personally, I'd never ask someone for a jump for free. I ask if they'll jump me for a 20....and I carry cables in all my cars.

It's VERY rare that I need a jump, but just this summer, I was driving my wife's car and it failed to start as I was leaving a store. It's funny, it was a Friday night and I had planned to change the oil and replace the 5.5 year old battery the very next day! I usually replace batteries at 5 years, to avoid this type of situation...but I got caught with my pants down on that one!

The guy that jumped me refused the money, but I always offer.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,466,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Personally, I'd never ask someone for a jump for free. I ask if they'll jump me for a 20....and I carry cables in all my cars.

It's VERY rare that I need a jump, but just this summer, I was driving my wife's car and it failed to start as I was leaving a store. It's funny, it was a Friday night and I had planned to change the oil and replace the 5.5 year old battery the very next day! I usually replace batteries at 5 years, to avoid this type of situation...but I got caught with my pants down on that one!

The guy that jumped me refused the money, but I always offer.
$20 for a jump? Sounds like a big city.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,372,437 times
Thanks for the responses. I don't think these guys were up to no good. They were just a couple of funky "young dudes" with car trouble at a busy gas station. Admittedly, I didn't want to get involved with the whole thing. I don't have my own cables, and not mechanically adept, even with so-called minor stuff. I was thinking something may go wrong and my car's electrical would fry. Is that possible? Anyhow, it's weird that the guy singled me out to call me an a-hole. He wasn't even the one who approached me for help. He was probably frustrated, and since I was a good "safe" distance away, decided to throw a zinger at me. Still it's not very pleasant to be called an a-hole!

You know, I can't understand why people are so resistant to joining the Auto Club. At only $48 a year, it can come in mighty handy. The price is nothing compared to what it costs to drive a car nowadays. But I still see so many folks changing their flat tires on the freeway.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,775,696 times
I have jumper cables in the trunk, have been helped 2-3 times by others when they saw me with the hood up and cables in hand. I never asked them to stop, they just got the message and offered to help. I have also jumped quite a few cars. Due to the computers on newer cars, I refuse to let them hook it up, so it is done on my terms.

I would say if I had family with me and felt uncomfortable about the whole situation I would probably drive off. Being that there was a station right where you were, I would have my ears and red flags up all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive