Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM

186 posts, read 689,004 times

Advertisements

Thinking of getting a volkswagen cabrio. I've heard they may have electrical problems though.. does anyone have any actual experience with them? Any electrical problems?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bo; 02-22-2011 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,947,592 times
Had a 68 bug with shag carper on the ceiling and big fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror!! It was cool. Only had it for about a month, found out i couldn't do a stick shift.

sorry, you were looking for serious advice...

Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,244,189 times
What year cabrio were you looking at? The early Mk 1/Rabbit based ones were failry simple and reliable, though the tops could be expensive to replace properly. The Mk 3 Cabrios have all the issues that the Mk 3 VWs have (coil pack issues, window regulator issues, etc) but seem to be fairly good in the convertible department.

Best bet is to cruise on over to VW Vortex and ask in the year specific forums for what to look for.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Agree with Merc - my 82 Scirocco has had it's share of electrical gremlins over my ownership period, although only one (loss of ignition circuit coming out of the fuse/relay panel) has actually stopped the car from running. Almost all of these have been high-resistance mechanical plug connections where one wire joins another or where the wires join the fuse/relay panel.

If you can handle taking apart and cleaning these connections, if a VOM is a tool you have long been familiar with, it's a good car for you. If you would be paying a shop to do this, not so much.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,812,223 times
I worked for VW in the 00's and saw plenty of them come back. Probably the most problematic car VW's sold in the US since the Corrado.

Engine/mechanical reliability is fine, but as you noted: the electrical. If everything's working OK, something's wrong.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I worked for VW in the 00's and saw plenty of them come back. Probably the most problematic car VW's sold in the US since the Corrado.

Engine/mechanical reliability is fine, but as you noted: the electrical. If everything's working OK, something's wrong.

What gives trouble on the newer models?

On Mark I cars, like I posted, at least in my experience the 5 or 6 electrical plugs on the back of the fuse/relay panel, at least the higher current draw circuits tend to get oxidized over time and develop high-resistance connections. I ended up bypassing the ignition, the heater/A-C blower, and the parking light circuits, putting in wires with inline fuses. I have changed the parking/brake/turn signals over to LED - that circuit previously drew 4 amps with the parking lights on, now it's about 1 amp.

A lot of guys tend to look at the Cabrio as a "hairdresser's car" but I say let them talk, it's a decent car, the top comes down, with a 5-speed it's reasonably entertaining to drive, as someone else posted the main downside is it costs a lot to put on a new top properly if the car needs that.

IMHO convertibles are best for people with a garage, damn near impractical if you are stuck parking on an urban street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen