Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM

592 posts, read 1,808,508 times

Advertisements

After reading a zillion consumer reviews on several crossovers today and test driving several of them lately we decided to choose between either the Toyota RAV-4 or the Hyundai Sante Fe to lease for the next 36 months.

I wonder, however, if anyone finds the side opening tailgate on the RAV-4 a big problem as far as getting in the way when open and loading things like groceries in in parking lots and such places?

And, does anyone have any input on either of these cars?

(We ruled out the Chevy Equinox due to seat not working for me and the Honda CR-V and Kia Sorento for very poor consumer reviews.)

Thanks for your help if you can give us a bit of insight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
I wonder, however, if anyone finds the side opening tailgate on the RAV-4 a big problem as far as getting in the way when open and loading things like groceries in in parking lots and such places?
I have a Rav and that side opening door is one of the reasons I picked it. Very easy to use. I've never had any kind of a problem in a parking lot or anywhere else because of it. It's not heavy. And I live on a hill. Often park facing uphill on the driveway and opening and closing it isn't a problem.

It's a fun car. I have a Limited and it's got a moon roof which I didn't care about when I bought it but now I love it. Very zippy car. You punch it and it goes and it's got a bit of a growl to it. (A bit, but enough to notice. Don't expect a Ferrari growl.) It's got a great sound system.

I use the four wheel drive. (Another reason I bought that car.) From a standstill you'll find yourself going up over curbs with no problem.

The only thing I don't like is the dash. Bit on the ugly side.

It's one of those cars that you open up the moon roof on a sunny day and roll down the windows and turn up he sound and enjoy the drive. (It also gets its share of compliments on how it looks.)

Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM

792 posts, read 4,475,878 times
I have a RAV4 and the side-opening tailgate is not a problem for me. I like how you get extra floor storage in the back since the spare tire is mounted on the door. Groceries fit in there perfectly and don't slide all over the place. The one issue I have with the RAV4 is that the ride is a little harsh. I also have a Highlander which by comparison is much more refined. The RAV4 is fine for around town but I'm not sure how I would feel after a long trip. Probably most smaller vehicles are like that.

Anyway I don't think you can go wrong with the RAV or the Hyundai, especially for a lease. They are both great choices.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,522,126 times
I rented a Santa Fe for a week, did not like it at all.
Both autos are available to rent, why not rent them each and see what you think?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,855,825 times
My cousin has a Rav4 and loves it to death.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
A good thing about side-opening back doors is that these don't have the nitrogen-presurized openers (the things that look like small shock absorbers). The Rav 4 does not have these things on the hood, nor the back door like the 2009 Forester does. But the back door of the Forester opens UP. In cold weather these openers' seals fail. Yes, it may take a couple of years, but they do fail at least in the interior of Alaska.

My wife din't like to UP/DOWN door of the Forester, but likes the side-opening door of her Rav 4, and I do too.

By the way, drive the V6 Rav. It's a blast to drive. No kidding! Even without a turbo, the 2010 Rav 4 V6 has plenty of power at 269HP, so when you press the pedal be ready

Old 02-25-2011, 05:08 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,800,012 times
we have a Rav4 and Love it... Do not get a Hyundai over a Toyota.. These cars are not in th esame league. You will be sorry if you do..

Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,800,012 times
Neighbor has a Highlander(last generation) and us a Rav. Our car is smoother, more room inside.. Drive em both and the rav is better.. no question.. Cruises on the eopen roads fine. its not a small suv..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I have a RAV4 and the side-opening tailgate is not a problem for me. I like how you get extra floor storage in the back since the spare tire is mounted on the door. Groceries fit in there perfectly and don't slide all over the place. The one issue I have with the RAV4 is that the ride is a little harsh. I also have a Highlander which by comparison is much more refined. The RAV4 is fine for around town but I'm not sure how I would feel after a long trip. Probably most smaller vehicles are like that.

Anyway I don't think you can go wrong with the RAV or the Hyundai, especially for a lease. They are both great choices.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,503,155 times
Rav-4 is best in class. The V-6 is a hoot to drive!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM

592 posts, read 1,808,508 times
Thanks for all your input here. From this post it looks like the RAV 4 wins hands down. Don't know if my husband is 100% sold, but I can't see myself buying anything else because I would feel foolish if I did. The RAV 4 gets the best reviews (and least complaints) on Edmunds and Kelly's websites from consumers, too. You just can't argue with the experience of people who bought them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive