Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
a hummer. Yes, for environmental and political reasons.
But if you bought one now, you could say you were a conscientious recycler for environmental and political reasons, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
One of the cars that I've seen on "The People of Walmart" site where someone had a late model sedan covered in glued on troll dolls, action figures and whatnot.

Or maybe a big creepy looking beat-up van with tinted windows. Pedo-van.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Any Hummer, and any big SUV that gets terrible mileage; anything that is 4 wheel drive but is never used off city streets. In short, anything overbuilt and uselessly huge. (For aesthetic and values reasons.)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Any Hummer, and any big SUV that gets terrible mileage; anything that is 4 wheel drive but is never used off city streets. In short, anything overbuilt and uselessly huge. (For aesthetic and values reasons.)
Yes, anything under-utilized.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
A Prius. If'n I was in the closet and wanted to come out, there are other ways to do so.

A Nissan Leaf, especially when I tried to go 85 miles...and the battery was only up for 80.

Any little box cars (Scion, Element, Cube).

Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
Quote:
There is more than one reason to purchase an SUV or 4 wheel drive.

Be thankful that it doesn't sound like you or a loved one has yet had to purchase an SUV or large truck due to limited mobility (and, therefore, the inability to easily get into or out of something as low to the ground as a more practical and cost-efficient sedan).

Sometimes, also, the added room is needed for medical equipment like custom walkers, robust wheelchairs, air tanks, dog lifts, etc.

And sometimes, people just have shell-shock from being nearly killed in a small car and literally have panic attacks getting into many sedans/coupes.

There are oh so many reasons to buy an SUV, truck, or something with 4 wheel drive (just because it automatically comes on the car you need, but not necessarily because you need 4 wheel drive).

Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Volvo.............God that would be embarrassing- to be looked on as soy milk drinking wimp who insists they are helping the environment by keeping one of these "reliable" cars going for a couple of decades..plus people will know your parents are old hippies.
That is bizzare logic. One is assuming that only a certain demographic prefers Volvos. The only Volvos that are super reliable are those made in the 1980s and before, similar to Mercedes. You see plenty of Mercedes and Volvo vehicles from the 1980s and earlier that are still on the road in states like California or Florida. I see the owners as more fiscally conservative and resistant to change. However, I have seen plenty of old vegetable oil powered Mercedes vehicles on the road. They have very mediocre horsepower and are prone to rust out entirely once out of their Sunbelt element!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
I am agreeing with the suv people here a ot of people that i know live on gravel roads that dont get plowed that often making it near impossible to get through.

Any who here is my list of embarrassing cars
1. Any car primarily bought or made to fullfil some ones guilt stricken mind about the enviroment (prius, leaf, smart car etc...)
2. The new beetle. I would take a rear engine one but never the newer one.
3. Fiat 500
4. Pontiac Aztec/ Buick Rendezvous
5. Ferrari 308, Mondial. Just for the simple fact that most family sedans would whoop on it, not to mention getting parts for it
6. Porsche 914, 924, 944, Boxter
7. Nissan Juke
.8 Geo

Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
There is more than one reason to purchase an SUV or 4 wheel drive.

Be thankful that it doesn't sound like you or a loved one has yet had to purchase an SUV or large truck due to limited mobility (and, therefore, the inability to easily get into or out of something as low to the ground as a more practical and cost-efficient sedan).

Sometimes, also, the added room is needed for medical equipment like custom walkers, robust wheelchairs, air tanks, dog lifts, etc.

And sometimes, people just have shell-shock from being nearly killed in a small car and literally have panic attacks getting into many sedans/coupes.

There are oh so many reasons to buy an SUV, truck, or something with 4 wheel drive (just because it automatically comes on the car you need, but not necessarily because you need 4 wheel drive).
That is why Subaru offers the best of both worlds with sedans, wagons, and crossovers that are some of the safest vehicles on the road and quite fuel efficient given the fact they are AWD. The new Impreza 4 door sedan has five star crash test ratings, 6 airbags or more, and gets 37mpg highway. I am anxious to test drive the new model, but I have mixed feelings on some of the newer CVT transmissions.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
I think I'll go look at a F-250 tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive