U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,148,803 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, lets see...
Scion
Smart Car
Suzuki anything
Yaris
Honda Fit
Nissan Juke
Nissan cube? I think thats what it is called
Subaru Forester
Jeep Patriot or Compass
2wd SUVs

The list is much longer, but those are just a few off the top of my head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,361,774 times
I am a motorcyclist and I am embarrassed to be seen in any vehicle with four wheels. When driving my car I wear dark sunglasses and a hat in the hope that no one will recognize me.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:28 AM

963 posts, read 1,757,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Hmmm, lets see...
Scion
Smart Car
Suzuki anything
Yaris
Honda Fit
Nissan Juke
Subaru Forester
Jeep Patriot or Compass
2wd SUVs

How did I forget the Nissan Cube? That thing looks like something the residents of Whoville might drive in a Dr. Seuss book!

Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM

20,199 posts, read 34,559,931 times
Quote:
Hmmm, lets see...
Scion
Smart Car
Suzuki anything
Yaris
Honda Fit
Nissan Juke
Subaru Forester
Jeep Patriot or Compass
2wd SUVs

Hmm... I drive a Subaru Forester and it really shouldn't be on this list, particularly the XT version in turbo form.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Granitestater, please do not take offense that it is on my list. The reason it is on there is because I went to a small New England college and the Subaru Forester was driven by almost every single lesbian on campus. Whenever we saw one it was just assumed a lesbian was driving. The Forester was the official Lesbian mobile.

I actually owned a Subaru Legacy a few years later...unstoppable. That thing plowed through all kinds of snow and in my opinion outperformed my Jeep in incliment weather. All my friends started giving me crap because I was driving a lesbian mobile. I ignored them but...finally one day we were at dunkin donuts. We saw an obvious lesbian leaving, my friend quickly scanned the parking lot an saw one other Subaru besides mine. He said hed bet me that the other Subaru was hers. I said, no way. Sure enough she got into the other one. We laughed about it but everyone was making comments, lol. Great car but to small for me anyway, I traded it in on an Expedition. With that being said my wife was looking for a car and I said what about the new Legacy...she looked at me like I was crazy and said no way.

I never had a single problem with my Subaru, it was amazing in the snow...but the association factor drove me to get rid of it and probably never owning one again.

Again, please do not take offense

Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM

11,670 posts, read 17,090,936 times
I would love to have a smart car. They are so cute and you can park it in any angle without being in the way. Good for me sense I suck at parallel parking.lol I want a black smartcar!
The car I would be embarrassed to be seen in is the backseat of a cop car.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 PM

20,199 posts, read 34,559,931 times
Quote:
Granitestater, please do not take offense that it is on my list. The reason it is on there is because I went to a small New England college and the Subaru Forester was driven by almost every single lesbian on campus. Whenever we saw one it was just assumed a lesbian was driving. The Forester was the official Lesbian mobile.

I actually owned a Subaru Legacy a few years later...unstoppable. That thing plowed through all kinds of snow and in my opinion outperformed my Jeep in incliment weather. All my friends started giving me crap because I was driving a lesbian mobile. I ignored them but...finally one day we were at dunkin donuts. We saw an obvious lesbian leaving, my friend quickly scanned the parking lot an saw one other Subaru besides mine. He said hed bet me that the other Subaru was hers. I said, no way. Sure enough she got into the other one. We laughed about it but everyone was making comments, lol. Great car but to small for me anyway, I traded it in on an Expedition. With that being said my wife was looking for a car and I said what about the new Legacy...she looked at me like I was crazy and said no way.

I never had a single problem with my Subaru, it was amazing in the snow...but the association factor drove me to get rid of it and probably never owning one again.

Again, please do not take offense
No offense taken. I don't really pay attention to demographic profiles of owners of particular models of vehicles. I bought my 04 used this year and only got it because it was in excellent condition at a very resonable price. Your experience must have been in a more collegiate environment. In New Hampshire you see Subarus on the road everywhere driven by all types of people imaginable, both women and men of nearly equal proportions. I agree that they are nearly unstopable in wintry conditions on poor roads, which the Snowbelt has lots of. Now that you think of it, I only saw Subaru Outbacks when I visited Dartmouth College in Hanover, very few Subaru Foresters there. I am thinking about trading my Forester for an Impreza next year as I like the newer ones.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:37 AM

1,516 posts, read 3,179,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
As an American male, it would be anything small and foreign.
Toyota Tundra?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Granitstater, I grew up in NH and yes I saw many Subarus. The Forester was really the only model that was associated that way though. That is why when I moved to NJ I bought the Legacy, but down here it tends to be any Subaru model with the exception of the WRX. Im not superficial but I do tend to consider demographics when purchasing a vehicle. There is another thread on here about what statement your car makes about you and I tend to agree that the car you drive is a reflection of you. Each model, and each brand has a different thing about it that perceives a certain lifestyle, or the type of person you are. I guess I am one of those people that would jump off the bridge if everyone else did so with that being said I am pretty stubborn, lol.

Again, I think Subaru makes an unbelievable car, no camplaints at all. But wouldnt buy one because of the pre conceived notion of who drives them. It is not just Subaru either, I think most cars, well in my head anyway, have a pre conceived notion of who is behind the wheel.

Take care, again, please dont take offense. My opinion is merely from observation. But I will say that I miss that Subaru in the snow.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,220,187 times
I drove a really battered Trabant around Berlin a few times in the early 00s and felt a bit self-conscious the first time until i got to the centre of the city and found they were everywhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive