U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,297,514 times

Advertisements

Something like an old Hyundai, like the ones from the 80s. Actually, probably any cheap car from the 80s.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Samurai View Post
Anything pink - except for a '59 Cadillac
That goes along with my idea for discouraging gas-guzzling pickup truck purchases. Mandate that all pickups be painted pink with the Hello Kitty logo. Then we'd see how many men really "need them for work".

Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 PM

2,244 posts, read 2,319,744 times
Quote:
That goes along with my idea for discouraging gas-guzzling pickup truck purchases. Mandate that all pickups be painted pink with the Hello Kitty logo. Then we'd see how many men really "need them for work".
An F250 in pink with a Hello Kitty logo would be just too cool.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,499,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post

But I have a better idea, why don't we try not mandating out of existence the things we dont' like that someone else does.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

But I have a better idea, why don't we try not mandating out of existence the things we dont' like that someone else does.
But that's the beauty of my plan - it doesn't mandate gas guzzling pickups out of existence but still would have the beneficial effect of reducing the demand for them. Certainly the Hello Kitty requirement would work better then any increase in gas prices ever could. Nice pictures!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM

4,266 posts, read 3,596,551 times
I would be embarrassed to be seen in a Smart Car (more like a dumb@55 car) or a Prius.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,016,458 times
Hi all--

I may have issues with this car. :P

There's a lot of cars that I have genuine dislike for that have nothing to do with how they look - but I'll complain endlessly about their faults. And I remember the descriptions I often use for cars. So, if you're easily offended, look away.

"It was rubbish when it was new, it was built by idiots, and it's rubbish now." - Pontiac Grand Prix

"This car is simply diabolical. The steering is imprecise, I think the rear suspension was made out of cardboard, and the window is stuck down..." - Chevy Cavalier

"This is the worst car I've driven in my entire life. The suspension is bouncy, there's a terrible wheel wobble when you hit 60, and the brakes don't brake." - another Chevy Cavalier... lol

Even though I have a low opinion of recent Pontiac's one of my bucket-list cars is still a late 60's/early 70's GTO, probably with a jacked up crate engine that I'd install after the fact. That would burn some rubber.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM

656 posts, read 956,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
But that's the beauty of my plan - it doesn't mandate gas guzzling pickups out of existence but still would have the beneficial effect of reducing the demand for them. Certainly the Hello Kitty requirement would work better then any increase in gas prices ever could. Nice pictures!
I don't like people who push their views onto other people, so I propose we tattoo "I can't keep my nose out of other people's business" on foreheads of people that are in favor of this kind of legislation to discourage it in the future. How about that?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
I don't like people who push their views onto other people, so I propose we tattoo "I can't keep my nose out of other people's business" on foreheads of people that are in favor of this kind of legislation to discourage it in the future. How about that?
Your argument is based on the fallacy that the decision to drive large, gas guzzlers, has no effect on anybody except the person buying and driving them. You're ignoring the fact that it makes the roads more dangerous for car drivers, creates more wear and tear on the roads, has (and continues) to drive foreign policy decisions on the Middle East, and affects energy drilling policy on common lands in the U.S. You can frame it as a "personal choice" issue if you like but to me it's excess over moderation. Having "Hello Kitty" branded on your pink vehicle seems a small price to pay when you put it in these terms. And I'm sure most of those who drive these things are purely in it for the functionality, so they shouldn't care anyway.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 AM

127 posts, read 158,630 times
This van. I'd rather take the bus, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive