U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 AM

192 posts, read 355,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
for me its the prius or the vw bug. and no, not because of any political reasons.

its ugly. simple as that.
I will NOT drive or be seen in anything with "san" "ota" or any chinese, japanese vehicles!
If it's smaller than me(some are) I won't be in it.
I can also care less, about economy or MPG, but more concerned that my big block V8 is well tuned!

Older 60'-70's 4x4 pickups and muscle cars are my thing! Window cranks & carbs rock!

T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
I won't be embarrassed in any particular car as long as it is in like-new condition. If it has dents, scratches, or obvious mechanical issues, it will be embarrassing. Even faded, non-shiny paint is a no-go. This usually limits me to newer cars.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 AM

192 posts, read 355,991 times
Ha, then you would hate my truck cause it's flat black, older and will run over other sh** boxes on the road!

T.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24624143-post151.html

So damn ugly...and the Nissan Puke

Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM

656 posts, read 954,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Your argument is based on the fallacy that the decision to drive large, gas guzzlers, has no effect on anybody except the person buying and driving them.
Yes, you are correct. Driving a large vehicle does have an effect on other people- it causes people like you to become upset.

Quote:
You're ignoring the fact that it makes the roads more dangerous for car drivers, creates more wear and tear on the roads
If those things concern you, the 80,000 pound tractor trailers are the biggest culprits BY FAR. You should try to ban them, then 50,000 pound dump trucks, then 20,000-30,000 pound medium-duty trucks before you concentrate on a 5000-pound pickup or full-sized SUV.

Quote:
[it] has (and continues) to drive foreign policy decisions on the Middle East
No, a bunch of goofballs shooting off rockets at our ally and hijacking our planes drive foreign policy in the Middle East. If we wanted their oil, we'd just take it. We have a large military presence there and nobody could stop us. So why would we bother in spending a fortune in nation-building if all we wanted to do is seize oil? Think about it for a second. Oil != reason for Middle Eastern politics.

Quote:
and affects energy drilling policy on common lands in the U.S.
Since we can't drill for oil on the vast majority of the public lands, I'd say the enviro-nuts affect drilling policy far, far more than anything else.

Quote:
You can frame it as a "personal choice" issue if you like but to me it's excess over moderation.
Excess is all in the eyes of the beholder. To a devout teetotaler, drinking one drop of alcohol is "excessive." It seems to be that way for you and gasoline consumption.

Quote:
Having "Hello Kitty" branded on your pink vehicle seems a small price to pay when you put it in these terms. And I'm sure most of those who drive these things are purely in it for the functionality, so they shouldn't care anyway.
Sure, and because I don't like your attitude, I want to tattoo you. If you really believe what you are doing is right, you will WANT to advertise it to the world.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,252,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
If those things concern you, the 80,000 pound tractor trailers are the biggest culprits BY FAR. You should try to ban them, then 50,000 pound dump trucks, then 20,000-30,000 pound medium-duty trucks before you concentrate on a 5000-pound pickup or full-sized SUV.
Tractor trailers and dump trucks serve a purpose. (And nobody drives them for fun - although maybe you should consider it, then you could scoff at those puny full-size pickups).

Quote:
No, a bunch of goofballs shooting off rockets at our ally and hijacking our planes drive foreign policy in the Middle East. If we wanted their oil, we'd just take it. We have a large military presence there and nobody could stop us. So why would we bother in spending a fortune in nation-building if all we wanted to do is seize oil? Think about it for a second. Oil != reason for Middle Eastern politics.
Right, we're just there to protect Israel. Oil has nothing to do with a sustained 60+ year massive military presence to keep the area stable. Hundreds of billions of dollars spent but at least we can pretend that "the market" keeps oil prices low.

Quote:
Since we can't drill for oil on the vast majority of the public lands, I'd say the enviro-nuts affect drilling policy far, far more than anything else.
As it should be. You want a gas hog, then pay the price rather then expecting the rest of the nation to sacrifice public lands to keep the cost per gallon low.

Quote:
Excess is all in the eyes of the beholder. To a devout teetotaler, drinking one drop of alcohol is "excessive." It seems to be that way for you and gasoline consumption.
I'm no gasoline teetotaler. But your "everything is relative" attitude means never acknowledging any kind of excess even when common sense tells you otherwise.

Last edited by xeric; 08-06-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
I don't even know the name but that Nissan with the commercials featruig the Rats dancing. I rather be seen in hugo.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 PM

88 posts, read 591,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't even know the name but that Nissan with the commercials featruig the Rats dancing. I rather be seen in hugo.
Are you thinking of the Kia Soul commercials?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,138,715 times
Another car for me would be one of those little 4 bangers that people put a fart can on so that they sound like a bumblebee going down the road, a wing on the back to make it look like a shopping cart, and those ghetto looking "dubs" that cost more than the car is worth. Oh, and cant forget the distorted bass that rattles the trunk and wakes the neighborhood at night.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,060,586 times
Pontiac Aztec
Nissan Cube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive