U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM

5,090 posts, read 6,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
Cadillacs now are far from ugly, defanitly not slow and the old people distinction is gone, theyre considered world class by reviewers and for the audience that buys them they are not expensive, but hey world class isnt cheap.
Cadillac is far from world class. They only have two really desirable products, the CTS-V sedan (the coupe is hideous) and the Escalade (I don't want one but I could see why someone who likes SUV's would). It takes a bit more than two models to make a brand world class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM

4,872 posts, read 5,505,404 times
Pinto or Yugo....oh wait...* if * this were 1974 .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38EAiniyuA

Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,298,625 times
a Toyota Highlander...

because that would imply I choose a vehicle on whether or not a snot-nosed kid thinks it's "lame".

Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM

606 posts, read 1,216,623 times
I have driven so much different cars and I have not been embarassed at all. I have driven a Smart, a Prius and a bug as well as a Tahoe or a Silverado, a DTS or Mustang Convertible. A car is an item to take me from A to B, nothing else. If I have to carry lots of goods, I need a truck, if I don't, the Prius would be fine as well. To me, a car is nothing of status, it's just a machine....

Old 03-06-2011, 03:47 PM

5,090 posts, read 6,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I have driven so much different cars and I have not been embarassed at all. I have driven a Smart, a Prius and a bug as well as a Tahoe or a Silverado, a DTS or Mustang Convertible. A car is an item to take me from A to B, nothing else. If I have to carry lots of goods, I need a truck, if I don't, the Prius would be fine as well. To me, a car is nothing of status, it's just a machine....
Although I don't care for the status quotient of any car myself, I don't consider cars as just machines. I make purchasing decisions based on how much I enjoy driving a particular car, so I tend to go for sports cars and sports sedans. Although a good bit of power is always a plus, it's handling characteristics that get my attention. A car that can carve a corner will always get my vote over one that can't (regardless of status).

Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM

14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Pinto or Yugo....oh wait...* if * this were 1974 .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38EAiniyuA
I knew the Yugo would fail when I saw the first one roll off the ship and wouldn't start.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM

14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Although I don't care for the status quotient of any car myself, I don't consider cars as just machines. I make purchasing decisions based on how much I enjoy driving a particular car, so I tend to go for sports cars and sports sedans. Although a good bit of power is always a plus, it's handling characteristics that get my attention. A car that can carve a corner will always get my vote over one that can't (regardless of status).
I'm a more modest driver and buy what I can afford for my needs. I bought my 2003 Malibu in 2004. I thought it's conservative styling was right for me, it's interior space was good, nice size trunk, decent acceleration from it's 170 HP an 190 torque engine, very good driver ergonomics, and it cornered well thanks to its four wheel independent suspension and anti sway bar. No, it won't win races or carve the corners but it was right for me,...until I later found out about all the mechanical problems it has that GM knew about for years but choose to do nothing to correct those problems. Now the car is paid off and we're working to pay off my wife's car before I can replace this money pit.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 AM

805 posts, read 1,185,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wouldn't be *embarrassed* to be seen in any car.

What do I choose for myself? To please ME? Big trucks and high-end sports cars. So that is what I own.

But why on earth would I be embarrassed? If people are going to judge me bc of the car I happen to be in that day, they can go F themselves.

That's not the question Stan...
Put your nose down a little bit....

Are you certain there isn't ONE car that you would be embarassed to be seen in??
And mine doesn't count!!!
Come on, play along won't ya??

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 AM

140 posts, read 146,571 times
Only those with 'insecurities' would care what others thought of whatever vehicle they are driving, you can't be embarrassed if you don't care what others think. Vehicles are point A to point B items, nothing more. Big hard cars and little limp willies seems to go together.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 AM

4,734 posts, read 5,106,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Pinto or Yugo....
My first race car was a Pinto that I also daily drove. 5 years and nothing wrong with it. THis was it with my sister in it, getting ready for an autocross event:

Kind of like these Pintos:

http://static.racingjunk.com/5/ui/4/50/8058300283574-1971-Ford-Pinto-Vintage-Road-Race-Car-2.jpg (broken link)

(Yes, that one has a V8, too)

http://homepage.uab.edu/bmclean/pics/drag2.jpg (broken link)

That one runs 10 second quarter miles with a turbo 4 cyl.

And Yugos? My buddy's autocross Yugo (since they are merely Fiat 128s under teh skin, it's easy to find hop up parts for them)

As I said, there's no car I'd be embarassed to drive (that's not filthy inside and out, or filled with vomit and puke). I've driven some rough stuff over the years. I mean, I drove this around a bit:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive