U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
366 posts, read 1,146,458 times
Reputation: 241

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Then he's full of crap. 20% off either of those is a flat-out lie.
what he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
 
357 posts, read 630,669 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Then he's full of crap. 20% off either of those is a flat-out lie.
haha that's what most people say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Reputation: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
haha that's what most people say.

Whatever. The internet is full of people who supposedly got all this money off on a car. I sold cars. I know what's possible and what isn't. 20% off a Camry or a Civic is total bull****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Reputation: 28610
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You got $9,000 and $5,000 off because of rebates and incentives on whatever models you were purchasing. Those change.
No rebates nor incentives on either one, just timing and hours of negotiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,599 posts, read 17,698,995 times
Reputation: 6248
If the sticker price says $20,450.00 how much did the dealership pay for the car ? Years ago i worked at a car dealership & they (owners & salesmen) wouldnt tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Reputation: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
No rebates nor incentives on either one, just timing and hours of negotiating.

Bull****. Unless you were buying ultra-high-end luxury cars, total bull****.

I love how people think car salesmen are lying to them when in reality, it's the customer that lie the most and the longest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Reputation: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
If the sticker price says $20,450.00 how much did the dealership pay for the car ? Years ago i worked at a car dealership & they (owners & salesmen) wouldnt tell me.

Depends on the manufacturer of the car. At $20K, figure the car costs the dealership somewhere around $16,500 to $17K true cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
Reputation: 10007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
my dad's rule is 20%...if he doesnt get 20%, he walks away. they usually call the next morning.
Your dad is not getting 20% off high volume low price imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Reputation: 28610
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Bull****. Unless you were buying ultra-high-end luxury cars, total bull****.

I love how people think car salesmen are lying to them when in reality, it's the customer that lie the most and the longest.
I won't dignify your response by making photocopies of the stickers and
the sales orders, but I could. Not even close to high end luxury cars, a Jeep Liberty and a Ford Ranger, both pretty loaded. I have no reason to make this up. I'll readily admit to paying full price once too, on a 1990 Bronco, when they were in short supply and the dealer wouldn't budge.
I also bought a 1972 El Camino at a local Classic Car dealer that was advertised for $12,999 and paid $7,500 in about 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Reputation: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I won't dignify your response by making photocopies of the stickers and
the sales orders, but I could. Not even close to high end luxury cars, a Jeep Liberty and a Ford Ranger, both pretty loaded. I have no reason to make this up. I'll readily admit to paying full price once too, on a 1990 Bronco, when they were in short supply and the dealer wouldn't budge.
I also bought a 1972 El Camino at a local Classic Car dealer that was advertised for $12,999 and paid $7,500 in about 2002.

It's flat-out ridiculous. Each of those deals would lose several thousand dollars for the dealership.

But go on and tell everyone if it makes you feel better on the Internet. I used to talk to people like you all the time...."X dealer is giving me X off", when doing so would lose that dealership at least $4,000.

Yeah, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top