U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,685,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Many people have been stiffed.
So how much more would the payout be if your car were "officially" a T-Type? And how much more would your insurance be? How much is the added inconvenience of the collector car coverage?

I'd have to weigh all that before I could see it is worth the trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,348,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So how much more would the payout be if your car were "officially" a T-Type? And how much more would your insurance be? How much is the added inconvenience of the collector car coverage?

I'd have to weigh all that before I could see it is worth the trouble.
Well, the book value of a really nice 87 Regal (talking mint here) would be $5k...tops. Otherwise figure a good driver runs $2500.

A T type, the value (mint) is well into the 5 digits...about $12-15k for a really nice pristine example. Drivers run typically $7k-$9k.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,685,825 times
Interesting. Then all I can say is ask your insurance agent who they feel is a reputable appraiser before you do it.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,463,935 times
You need to nail down in writing just what your insurance company will cover. Dont assume anything.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 420 times
FYI: An appraisal is definitely a necessity for any of the following reasons: a bank requests one before financing your purchase, a buyer requests one before purchasing your car, an insurance agent requests it before they will bind coverage, the IRS wants one if you are donating the car to a non-profit for a tax deduction, a magistrate wants one in a bankruptcy or equitable distribution case and finally, dissolution of an estate requires one if there isn't an agreement between all heirs as to a car's value. I used St. Lucie Appraisal Company from Florida which does appraisals all over the US. They charged $175 for my 32 Ford and the appraisal was acceptable to my insurance company and credit union.

Last edited by Kent W; 02-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,597,783 times
You could insure it through Hagery where you insure it for what you think it's worth and they agree. The two people I know who own 30+ classic/old rare cars use them. My brother just bought a $35k 64 impala ss and uses Hagerty because USAA wouldn't value it at that. Hagerty requires you to have a daily driver insured (doesn't have to be through them) I'm sure someone on here uses them and could give more details.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,348,496 times
Holy crap Batman welcome back from the dead!

I actually did have the car with Hagerty, but their stipulations were the car couldn't be driven but in parades or on weekends. The sucky thing was 1986 was the cut off year with Hagerty. I wanted to drive it a bit more. That meant having it apprasied to make it a dailty driver. i never did though.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM

16,555 posts, read 17,682,015 times
Just find a insurance company that does a agreed upon value if you're that worried about it. Or add on options. I did that to my truck off road bumpers and shell. I did that with my truck. I insured it for 20k with the additional equipment I installed. It brought my premium up by 12 bucks.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM

4,791 posts, read 6,962,599 times
I can't comment on Hagerty because I have never done business with them.
I use American collector's insurance for my 66Tbird, and here is the deal with them.
My R/t in the background is the daily driver.

First they insist you have a daily driver besides the vehicle you are insuring with them.
They set an amount of miles you can use the vehicle, and where you can drive it, but if you opt to pay a little more (not much more) you can get into a higher tier that allows you to drive where and when you want without mileage restrictions.
That is what I have on my bird.
I use it practically every day, and never limited to shows or parades.
Next, they require a locked garage for the insured vehicle, but again, for very little more (at least in my case) they insured it even though I do not have a locked garage to put it.
It does however have a portable carport with 24/7 video camera aimed at it constantly.
I sent them pictures of the vehicle, and the video system, and they agreed it was acceptable.

Now, as for appraisal, they didn't require it, but I sent one any way.
The bird is presently insured with an agreed value of $24.300.00
When I originally went with them, it was appraised at $22.000.
Being a collector vehicle, the agreed value is reflected in what the insurance company does in relation to increasing the value each year.
So do some research, and you will get the insurance deal that best suits your needs.
As for an appraiser, I suggest you go online to Buick forums, and clubs to fine who those people are using.
You have a much better chance of getting an honest one.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive