U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,365,944 times

Advertisements

Hello~ I'm having my 2004 Ford Escape checked out by my mechanic tomorrow, but was hoping to get some opinions before I'm hit with the repair bill. Twice in the last week, my Escape's engine just died while I was driving. The check engine light came on both times. I pulled over, and the car started up fine both times. I'm sure it could be many different things, but any opinions would be welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM

780 posts, read 2,135,417 times
Umm, without knowing what those trouble codes are, it's a shot in the dark. Intermittent problems are very hard to pinpoint.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM

67 posts, read 125,746 times
Just a guess, could be fuel pump

I have a 99 ford pickup that acted like that, it slowly got worse until it finally would start

bad for me was pump in gas tank cost about 1000 to fix

good luck I hate car probs

Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,444,911 times
These cars have a rather poor customer satisfaction rate. I would google up the issue and see what others have to say about this problem and the solution

Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,738,435 times
How long have you had it, how many miles are on it, did you get it new or used? I think on a lot of cars if the key is "on" and the engine is not running, the CEL comes on regardless if a code is set or not. Not sure if this is one of them or not.May just be time for a tune-up, if the fuel filter, plugs are old and worn, and the throttle body is dirty, just to name a few possibilities, you can get intermittent stalling.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM

724 posts, read 1,423,790 times
FORD = Fix or Repair Daily

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 PM

460 posts, read 3,008,874 times
Autozone will read your trouble codes for free as do many other places now. Otherwise you can buy a code reader for fairly cheap. Actually I'd google 'Ford Escape Forum' because every car has it's own forums where people know everythng there is to know about that particular vehicle. In fact many cars allow you to retrieve trouble codes easily and for example I can hook up either a bulb, buzzer, or analog voltmeter to my ODB plug and it will blink, buzz, or needle on voltmeter will deflect to indicate what the trouble code is (why check engine light is on). I can then either look online or in a service manual to see what that code is. I've had 2 instances where I did this after the check engine light came on and was subsequently able to fix the problem by unplugging + plugging the connector to a sensor. Different cars use different methods for retrieving trouble codes (without using a code reader or scan tool) and that's why I suggest getting into a forum dedicated to Escapes or at least Fords to find that out along with other info that only knowledgable Ford Escape owners would know. I belong to 2 national sites or forums dedicated to my car which is the 1st generation ('90-94) Eclipse/Talon/Laser. As a result I know all the 'common problems' of these cars, get great advice, have access to good used parts, etc etc. If you need any more insight to what I'm talking about PM me and I'll explain it further.

Last edited by tripod; 03-09-2011 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,365,944 times
Thanks everyone! I had to postpone my visit to the mechanic until tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing too serious! (BTW, I bought my Escape used about 5 years ago. It has 115k miles on it now and this is the first issue I've ever had with it.)

Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,368,158 times
Definately get the code read. My wife's Jeep Cherokee was doing something similar and we replaced the fuel pump on an assumption only to find that it was something electrical. Even if I wanted to remove the gas tank again, I wouldn't be able to return the pump after it was soaked in gas. Time, energy, and money wasted.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
There was a large recall on Escapes from 2001-2003 for this issue. It was tied to a faulty PCM (powertrain control module) that was replaced under the campaign. There are a couple things that are the most likely cause:

1. Your PCM is faulty and it is causing the car to shut off. Cycling the key off and on, resets it and you are good to go.

2. There is a small issue with certain models where wires from the MAF can rub through and cause a short. This often results in a blown fuse, but can just cause the PCM to temporarily short out.

3. Your battery could be going bad or has a loose connection. This will cause issues with the PCM and immobilizer system as well. Check the battery and ensure the connections are clean and secure.

4. The immobilizer system on older Ford vehicles is a known trouble spot. You may need to have the antenna in the steering column replaced. Bascially every once in a while the car will randomly think the key was pulled and shut itself off. Cycling the key fixes the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive