U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,256 posts, read 5,909,546 times
Reputation: 1505

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'd never intentionally hit anyone, however, I don't enjoy the majority of cyclists that I happen to come into contact with on a daily basis that completely ignore all traffic signs including stop signs and red lights, ride between slower moving or stopped cars, refuse to yield right of way to faster moving traffic, etc.

It's a two way street and unfortunately it seems like most cyclists feel the actual rules of the road don't apply to them. Their antics make the people in cars nervous, because we are after all driving two tons of metal that doesn't exactly stop on a dime and we are pretty much 100% sure that even if the cyclist ran into us, we would be the ones getting sued.
I understand and have experienced what you say about those bikers. NYC bikers are notorious for riding wherever they want. They even get ticketed too by NYPD. For some reason they think they can squeeze through the tiniest spots. And at night its so hard to see some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Here come the "jokes" about mowing bicyclists down, because they present such a risk and danger to those poor motorists actually having to share the road.

I'm not amused. Just think the next bicyclist you hit (or jokingly skirt right by) by not giving them a little room is someone's son or daughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'd never intentionally hit anyone, however, I don't enjoy the majority of cyclists that I happen to come into contact with on a daily basis that completely ignore all traffic signs including stop signs and red lights, ride between slower moving or stopped cars, refuse to yield right of way to faster moving traffic, etc.

It's a two way street and unfortunately it seems like most cyclists feel the actual rules of the road don't apply to them. Their antics make the people in cars nervous, because we are after all driving two tons of metal that doesn't exactly stop on a dime and we are pretty much 100% sure that even if the cyclist ran into us, we would be the ones getting sued.
In truth cyclist DO bring on a lot of the grief from other people who use our roads upon themselves by ignoring the rules of the road with careless riding. A good place to start safe riding s when a child gets their first bike. Teach children that on the sidewalk/dirt it's ok to be a goofy kid but the second you get on a road they have to observe proper road sharing.

This plan finally give cyclist a set of rules that can get them ticketed , or worse, if they ignore the laws about proper sharing of the roads. IMO this is something that has been missing for far to long.

It's like anything else if you want respect you've got give respect so riding a bicycle doesn't exempt you from respecting a driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,645 posts, read 7,079,681 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When I see bicycles carrying a license plate meaning they have paid a road use tax just like we do with our autos I will start giving them the room/respect that they have paid for.
Most of the funding for local roads (the roads that bicyclists use) comes from local taxes, property and sales, which are paid by everybody so that reasoning is shot to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'd never intentionally hit anyone, however, I don't enjoy the majority of cyclists that I happen to come into contact with on a daily basis that completely ignore all traffic signs including stop signs and red lights, ride between slower moving or stopped cars, refuse to yield right of way to faster moving traffic, etc.

It's a two way street and unfortunately it seems like most cyclists feel the actual rules of the road don't apply to them. Their antics make the people in cars nervous, because we are after all driving two tons of metal that doesn't exactly stop on a dime and we are pretty much 100% sure that even if the cyclist ran into us, we would be the ones getting sued.
I'm not ever advocating anybody breaking the law, but the fact is that many motorists roll through stop signs and break all kinds of laws, but for some reason its the bicyclist's that incur the wrath far beyond the actual risk imposed to anybody.

A bicyclist checking both ways and slowly rolling through a stop sign at his/her turn ensuring not to violate anyone's right of way or safely positioning on a narrow lane to avoid getting "doored" or precluding an unsafe pass doesn't affect me as a motorist at all- OK, maybe I'll be slowed down for a few seconds once in a while- (because another motorist has never done anything to slow me down before).

I've said it before, the fury against bicyclists in this country is bordering on psychotic. I'm not the vulnerable one in a 4000lb car. I have to share the road with cars, trucks, motorcycles etc... bikes are just another small vehicle that affects me just about the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

I've said it before, the fury against bicyclists in this country is bordering on psychotic. I'm not the vulnerable one in a 4000lb car. I have to share the road with cars, trucks, motorcycles etc... bikes are just another small vehicle that affects me just about the least.
Yowzer, buddy! Naked truth it is!!

I'd guess that all the grief I've taken trying to educate people here at CD about the whole topic of bicycles has been posted by psycho's !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,645 posts, read 7,079,681 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yowzer, buddy! Naked truth it is!!

I'd guess that all the grief I've taken trying to educate people here at CD about the whole topic of bicycles has been posted by psycho's !
A bit of hyperbole to be sure but there are, evidenced by this and previous threads, just enough folks out there who will never consider a bicycle to be a legitimate vehicle or form of transportation that ensure to make it miserable and dangerous for all bicyclists.

I appreciate your education. Like I said, everyone should follow the rules, but bicyclists breaking a few rules just don't really affect me because they are totally focused on protecting their own hides in a dangerous environment so, while it might alarm some folks having bicyclists being so close to cars, it is rarely ever dangerous to those occupants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,776 posts, read 14,163,149 times
Reputation: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Most of the funding for local roads (the roads that bicyclists use) comes from local taxes, property and sales, which are paid by everybody so that reasoning is shot to hell.



I
So I guess I should stop paying to register my car and personal property tax on my CAR yearly because taxes take car of the roads.

Do you have an address where I can get a refund on my road use taxes that are part of the cost of gasoline.

I have a suspicion that you have absolutely no idea of what your talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM
 
505 posts, read 448,053 times
Reputation: 700
Bicyclists have to be considerate of pedestrians. While bicycles are unlikely to cause anything more than cosmetic damage to automobiles, a careless bicyclist can seriously injure or even kill a pedestrian. Bicycles are moving vehicles and need to exhibit some common sense. Far too often I see *******s on bicycles blowing through stop signs in the middle of crosswalks because they don't feel like stopping. Bicycles aren't pedestrians, they need to stop and yield to pedestrians just like cars. A pedestrian can stop and look both ways, but they can't anticipate a bicyclist coming out of nowhere from behind stopped cars and barreling through the crosswalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times
Reputation: 17978
Wehave that beig worked on for years in several areas of the city. The fnsing available and the rules in gettig matching funds have meant that they will not be applying for any more such projects. funding. The puulic works say the3 time involved is way too costly in personell time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,682 posts, read 11,915,298 times
Reputation: 7904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Bicyclists have to be considerate of pedestrians. While bicycles are unlikely to cause anything more than cosmetic damage to automobiles, a careless bicyclist can seriously injure or even kill a pedestrian. Bicycles are moving vehicles and need to exhibit some common sense. Far too often I see *******s on bicycles blowing through stop signs in the middle of crosswalks because they don't feel like stopping. Bicycles aren't pedestrians, they need to stop and yield to pedestrians just like cars. A pedestrian can stop and look both ways, but they can't anticipate a bicyclist coming out of nowhere from behind stopped cars and barreling through the crosswalk.

That would be the perfect advice to give the many cyclist here in Portland. They are on the sidewalks and everywhere. They come up behind you on a sidewalk by the hundreds with no warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
5,996 posts, read 13,307,228 times
Reputation: 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wehave that beig worked on for years in several areas of the city. The fnsing available and the rules in gettig matching funds have meant that they will not be applying for any more such projects. funding. The puulic works say the3 time involved is way too costly in personell time.
I have to ask, why does every single one of your posts look like a special needs kit typed it? It's obvious you know how to spell (plus there's spell check in just about every browser now a days), it's obvious you know how to use the space bar, it just seems that you can't do both all the time. The only thing I can really think of would be that you're typing while intoxicated. I apology in advance if you're indeed a special needs individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top