U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I have to ask, why does every single one of your posts look like a special needs kit typed it? It's obvious you know how to spell (plus there's spell check in just about every browser now a days), it's obvious you know how to use the space bar, it just seems that you can't do both all the time. The only thing I can really think of would be that you're typing while intoxicated. I apology in advance if you're indeed a special needs individual.
It's both crass and very cruel to ask this type of question of a member that may, or may not, be challenged in some fashion since it none of anyones business.

If you've read many of "texdav" post and had any powers of observation you would know how cruel you are being. A good bit of compassion is what's called for here so give it and be QUIET!
Shame on you..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,422,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I have to ask, why does every single one of your posts look like a special needs kit typed it? It's obvious you know how to spell (plus there's spell check in just about every browser now a days), it's obvious you know how to use the space bar, it just seems that you can't do both all the time. The only thing I can really think of would be that you're typing while intoxicated. I apology [sic] in advance if you're indeed a special needs individual.
Maybe Texdav is a special needs kit, whatever that might be. Have you heard of Skitt's Law?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I'm not ever advocating anybody breaking the law, but the fact is that many motorists roll through stop signs and break all kinds of laws, but for some reason its the bicyclist's that incur the wrath far beyond the actual risk imposed to anybody.

A bicyclist checking both ways and slowly rolling through a stop sign at his/her turn ensuring not to violate anyone's right of way or safely positioning on a narrow lane to avoid getting "doored" or precluding an unsafe pass doesn't affect me as a motorist at all- OK, maybe I'll be slowed down for a few seconds once in a while- (because another motorist has never done anything to slow me down before).

I've said it before, the fury against bicyclists in this country is bordering on psychotic. I'm not the vulnerable one in a 4000lb car. I have to share the road with cars, trucks, motorcycles etc... bikes are just another small vehicle that affects me just about the least.
Many motorists break the laws and some even have to pay the consequences of those actions. It must be wonderful to live in a place where the majority of bike riders are courteous and obey the rules of the road. Unfortunately here in the northeast (I've travelled and lived from Philadelphia to Boston), that is generally not the case based on my own observations.

I've spent a decent amount of time in Europe, Germany in particular, and while there road my fair share of bikes. The primary difference is that both the cyclists and motorists are aware of each other and the roads are often designed to accomodate both. You'd catch just as much hell for running a red light on a bike in Germany as you would with a car.

Here in the U.S. there are very few roads designed to accomodate bikes and within the major metro areas of the northeast, the majority of roads are crowded to the point where even shoulders don't exist in a lot of areas. Adding bike riders into the mix on a lot of roads is a recipe for disaster.

You were 100% correct that I have nothing to fear in my 4,000 pound brick. Except the possibility of getting sued for accidentally hitting a bicyclist who is taking unnecessary risks (such as riding between slow moving cars and dashing through intersections). I don't have anything against people who choose to ride bikes, I just think it's a bad idea on many roads without a proper lane system for them to travel in.

So, my wrath is actually pretty well directed as it is pretty much a universal that the car driver will be found at fault in an accident with a bike. Also, the risk of serious injury is far greater if I hit someone on a bike then if I hit another car. I am all for expanding bike use, but it needs to include stricter rules and enforcement of cyclists and also needs to include a system similar to what tightwad posted that is used in all other bike dominated countries where there are dedicated lanes for cyclists to use.

Simply squeezing bikes onto already congested roads just leads to a lot of anxious motorists and the only cyclists who seem to ride those roads also ride with a chip on their shoulder and an abject disregard for traffic laws at least around here.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Many motorists break the laws and some even have to pay the consequences of those actions. It must be wonderful to live in a place where the majority of bike riders are courteous and obey the rules of the road. Unfortunately here in the northeast (I've travelled and lived from Philadelphia to Boston), that is generally not the case based on my own observations.

I've spent a decent amount of time in Europe, Germany in particular, and while there road my fair share of bikes. The primary difference is that both the cyclists and motorists are aware of each other and the roads are often designed to accomodate both. You'd catch just as much hell for running a red light on a bike in Germany as you would with a car.

Here in the U.S. there are very few roads designed to accomodate bikes and within the major metro areas of the northeast, the majority of roads are crowded to the point where even shoulders don't exist in a lot of areas. Adding bike riders into the mix on a lot of roads is a recipe for disaster.

You were 100% correct that I have nothing to fear in my 4,000 pound brick. Except the possibility of getting sued for accidentally hitting a bicyclist who is taking unnecessary risks (such as riding between slow moving cars and dashing through intersections). I don't have anything against people who choose to ride bikes, I just think it's a bad idea on many roads without a proper lane system for them to travel in.

So, my wrath is actually pretty well directed as it is pretty much a universal that the car driver will be found at fault in an accident with a bike. Also, the risk of serious injury is far greater if I hit someone on a bike then if I hit another car. I am all for expanding bike use, but it needs to include stricter rules and enforcement of cyclists and also needs to include a system similar to what tightwad posted that is used in all other bike dominated countries where there are dedicated lanes for cyclists to use.

Simply squeezing bikes onto already congested roads just leads to a lot of anxious motorists and the only cyclists who seem to ride those roads also ride with a chip on their shoulder and an abject disregard for traffic laws at least around here.
For every cyclist there is one less car on the road.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
For every cyclist there is one less car on the road.
Very true, but a majority of people view it as an unnecessary risk to ride a bike on many roads. A dedicated lane system would fix that. Of course, no ones going to agree to give up space on crowded roads to create that system since no one rides bikes. We're back to the old Catch-22. I agree with you in theory. However, making it a reality isn't quite so easy. In fact there are many great ideas on how to make our country more sustainable and move away from cars. The problem is everything that's been built up to this point hasn't taken that into account.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM

3,455 posts, read 5,090,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When I see bicycles carrying a license plate meaning they have paid a road use tax just like we do with our autos I will start giving them the room/respect that they have paid for.
Actually cities like Houston have mandatory bike registration but almost no one, including Mayor Bill White, knows about it b/c it is very old and rarely enforced.

Here in Austin I pay for local roads two ways. One if via my city property tax and the other is a transportation user fee on my utility bill. Of course this doesn't include federally-funded roads but then again I rarely use those b/c of the amount of traffic and speed limits on them. Of course through my federal taxes I also help subsidize the ethanol industry and the oil industry but do not benefit when I am riding a bike.

Still I'll make a deal with you. I'll pay to use the federally-funded roads if you start paying for all of the negative externalities associated with fossil fuel use including oil spills, air and water pollution and global warming.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,422,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Bicyclists have to be considerate of pedestrians. While bicycles are unlikely to cause anything more than cosmetic damage to automobiles, a careless bicyclist can seriously injure or even kill a pedestrian. Bicycles are moving vehicles and need to exhibit some common sense. Far too often I see *******s on bicycles blowing through stop signs in the middle of crosswalks because they don't feel like stopping. Bicycles aren't pedestrians, they need to stop and yield to pedestrians just like cars. A pedestrian can stop and look both ways, but they can't anticipate a bicyclist coming out of nowhere from behind stopped cars and barreling through the crosswalk.
And they get ticketed as well.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Hey, bicyclists pay for the road expansion, pay mandatory insurance to cover my car when they cause damage to it and get a license to use these bicycle lanes then I'll have no problem with them.

Sharing the road with bicycles is dangerous for motorists, I try and miss them but well..... at least with bicycle accidents there isn't too much debris to clean up.....

Global warming, the scam of the century.........

Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very true, but a majority of people view it as an unnecessary risk to ride a bike on many roads. A dedicated lane system would fix that. Of course, no ones going to agree to give up space on crowded roads to create that system since no one rides bikes. We're back to the old Catch-22. I agree with you in theory. However, making it a reality isn't quite so easy. In fact there are many great ideas on how to make our country more sustainable and move away from cars. The problem is everything that's been built up to this point hasn't taken that into account.
Hmmm.......sounds to me that you've given up any hope of positive changes from cars to mass transit & bicycles. Well, don't!

There is a quiet movement all across America (not all Americans are morons!) to implement this move away from cars because America , and the rest of the world, has to before oil supplies are so depleted that society collapses from trying to keep things as they are today ....which is insane!

Sure there may be some oil in the future but when nit comes to scratch the military will get the oil and everybody else gets to walk.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When I see bicycles carrying a license plate meaning they have paid a road use tax just like we do with our autos I will start giving them the room/respect that they have paid for.
What a crappy attitude! The bicyclist isn't adding pollution to the air YOU breathe or supporting foreign energy sources. Be thankful for that! GEEZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive