U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 5,090,042 times

Advertisements

For me a great idea is to take on-street parking that is nothing more than a public vehicle storage facility and instead dedicate it to transportation via bike lanes. I have to say that roads should be used for transportation before they are used for a place to temporarily stash your Camry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Methinks if bicyclists carry forward with their militant attitude the hospitals will start filling up.

Quote:
There is a quiet movement all across America (not all Americans are morons!) to implement this move away from car
So now the high priest of bicycles is calling anyone who disagrees with his bicycle agenda morons.

This from a person who pursues his bicycle agenda in the automotive forum and believes everything his doom and gloom websites post.

Pssst... there is a quiet movement all across America to run bicyclists off the road...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Pssst... there is a quiet movement all across America to run bicyclists off the road...

No, it's just you.

Last edited by PanTerra; 03-16-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Geez, Tightwad, I GET the bicycle thing. I love bicycling. I'd ride one to work IF I lived closer and there was a safe non-truck route & Interstate way to get there. Oh, and the customer that I work for that can't even keep the friggin' gate entry control device working, much less give us contractors lockers to store our riding gear in.

It'd be GREAT if we all could ditch our vehicles and ride. I'd love it. But that's not reality. And in today's governmental budgets, a lot of bicycle infrastructure just ain't in the cards. As much as I wish it were.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Geez, Tightwad, I GET the bicycle thing. I love bicycling. I'd ride one to work IF I lived closer and there was a safe non-truck route & Interstate way to get there. Oh, and the customer that I work for that can't even keep the friggin' gate entry control device working, much less give us contractors lockers to store our riding gear in.

It'd be GREAT if we all could ditch our vehicles and ride. I'd love it. But that's not reality. And in today's governmental budgets, a lot of bicycle infrastructure just ain't in the cards. As much as I wish it were.
It's great that you "get" bicycling !

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Where I live a bicycle is just not practical most of the time, the heat would make you sweat through your clothes, or you'd have to worry about getting caught in a thunderstorm. I live 20 miles from my job, so even with perfect weather it still wouldn't be possible.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,011,404 times
If I wasn't on my bike in the city, I would be in a car. What would you rather deal with? Bikes cause less damage to roads, which means less repairs, which means less tax money spent. So you are welcome

And yes, I will blow through stop signs and yes, I will blow through red lights (as long as I don't cause any driver to change their course)...just like every single driver on the road will speed and every single driver on the road will drift through stop signs.

Everyone does what they can to get where they are going faster, drivers and cyclists included. If you don't like cyclists on the roads, you can whine all you want, but that won't really change anything, now will it?

And I see many people in this thread who have the balls to say they will run cyclists off the road on an anonymous internet forum, but then again...it is easy to act big online, isn't it?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Where I live a bicycle is just not practical most of the time, the heat would make you sweat through your clothes, or you'd have to worry about getting caught in a thunderstorm. I live 20 miles from my job, so even with perfect weather it still wouldn't be possible.
Then we can take it that if you had no car you'd just sit home rather than ride a bicycle?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,134,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Then we can take it that if you had no car you'd just sit home rather than ride a bicycle?
That makes no sense, before the automobile nobody lived 20 miles from their job unless they had mass transit.

There is not one person on this board that would say that riding a bike is not good exercise and they're are lots of people who would ride their bikes to work if it were a 15 minute ride.
But no matter how many posts you make here you are not going to get drivers (which this forum is aimed at) to switch their main mode of transportation. I ride my bike almost every day but I am not going to peddle 15 miles round trip to the store to buy a gallon of milk just to save a gallon of gas.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM

3,138 posts, read 6,901,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Ah, another category of "moving pylons" to dodge.

Do you get bonus point for running them over ?

Wow, you're opinion goes against common sense and decency. But hey...it's the internet. Where people come to shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive