U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,180,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And me as the person on the bicycle will intentionally move to the center of the lane and slow down since moron drivers apparently don't know where money for roads comes from.
Amen to that. I'm right with you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 PM

3,139 posts, read 6,935,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When I pull up to a stop and a motorcycle is in front of me I can clearly see that he has paid his dues to ride on the road. I will patiently wait for him to move before I do.

When I pull up to a stop and some moron on a bicycle is in front of me I will lean on my horn until he moves and if he does not move I'll use the chrome horn to help him along.
You know the motorcycle uses less fuel than your car does...does that mean they are entitled to less?

So what happens when there is a bulldozer or a tractor on your road? You know they use off road diesel which does not have a federal gas tax.

Do you blow your massive horn at these vehicles because they have not paid their fair share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Um, no. Fuel taxes fund the roads, not property taxes. So when the bike riders help fund the road, then consider a bike only lane.
It seems like the FEDERAL gas tax pays for FEDERAL road projects...like...highways. And you know bikes are not allowed on a highway...maybe because they haven't paid their fair share So hey I will concede that point!

If you think that FEDERAL gas tax pays for the 25mph residential road you live on... (the one bikes use often)
What Are Federal Gas Taxes Used For? | eHow.com

St. Paul MN - Property tax pays for local lights / streets
City of St. Paul, MN - Official Website - ROW Maintenance Assessment

Looks like Helena MT is the same way
Assessments: City of Helena

I'm going to guess this is common.

So there is a chance the biker lives in the city. If they own a home they pay taxes. If they rent the landlord uses the tenants money to pay the taxes.

The point is...we all pay for these roads.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:13 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,908,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, this is a "public forum" but you ,and others here, conveniently forget that when you attack the topic of bicycles or infrastructure change to accommodate cyclist in their free will pursuit of using bicycles for transport or utility uses you are not allowing a free open discussion.

I've gotten so tired of your asinine rants that are aimed at spoiling ,or killing, any thread that don't like. I've placed you ,and all the rest of the anti-bicycle morons, on ignore since all you seek to do is offend.

I will engage with you ,and the rat pack, no further. I will also put up any other bicycle related threads in Automotive that are not related to other topics unless A.) there is a bicycle forum or B.) I hear from the mod that they don't want bicycle threads in Automotive. THAT is how a "public forum is supposed to work.
Now now TW, don't get your panties all bunched up by calling me names.....

You have all these other more appropriate forums:

Health and Wellness, Green Living, Exercise and Fitness, Hobbies, Recreation and sports.. Oh, and since you're so cheap there is also the Frugal Living thread. Weren't you the one who posted in that forum about reusing toilet paper?

You want to play stupid and keep on posting bicycle stuff here? Boy are we gonna have fun.......

Here, go get some vaseline, you'll like this picture:

Last edited by plwhit; 03-18-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM

506 posts, read 449,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Money for roads does not comes from vehicle licensing. I have a job, therefore I pay for the roads. People who do not own a car pay for public roads.

Please at least try to learn the tax structure before making ignorant posts like this. Thanks.

A bike is legally a 'slow moving vehicle', which allows access to all public roads excluding highways. If you have a problem with the laws, write your senator, but don't complain to us.
Slow moving vehicles that get in my way tend to become flying vehicles.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM

3,139 posts, read 6,935,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Slow moving vehicles that get in my way tend to become flying vehicles.
Wait , so you mow down tractor trailers, dump drucks, bulldozers, tractors, the post man....

Wow! You the man!

Do tell what amazing vehicle do you drive?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM

32,945 posts, read 30,201,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Wait , so you mow down tractor trailers, dump drucks, bulldozers, tractors, the post man....

Wow! You the man!

Do tell what amazing vehicle do you drive?
I'm guessing, "Internet tuff guy m1a1 simulator". It's amazing how many people think that they are part of law enforcement. They won't think twice when a car rolls a stop but if it's a bicycle, good god.

I also think it's funny that many mild mannered people become vengeful cagers when they lock up the seat belt.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,533,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I also think it's funny that many mild mannered people become vengeful cagers when they lock up the seat belt.

I think it's funny how so many bicyclists think it's great sport to antagonize said cagers into violence, then sit back and say 'I didn't do anything," like the typical 5 year old that pokes his sibling repeatedly until the sibling smacks them, then they cry about it and whine that " I don't know why he hit me, I wasn't doing anything."

Pedal your agenda somewhere else, TW.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,069,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
What a crappy attitude! The bicyclist isn't adding pollution to the air YOU breathe or supporting foreign energy sources. Be thankful for that! GEEZ!
They are.

Every time they huff and puff along they exhale tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. You know that evil gas, CO2.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,069,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Where I live a bicycle is just not practical most of the time, the heat would make you sweat through your clothes, or you'd have to worry about getting caught in a thunderstorm. I live 20 miles from my job, so even with perfect weather it still wouldn't be possible.
I experienced that in Alabama. A 2 mile ride in July would have me roasted in my own juices.

Up north, for winter and much of the shoulder season, it's just not realistic on snow packed and ice covered country roads.

A lot of these "green" solutions are thought up by pseudo intellectuals that live in coastal California where the weather is nice and moderate year round for the most part. But things like electric cars and bikes don't work in much of the USA with it's weather extremes of shattering cold and burning heat.

The people that panic about oil, don't really get that cars run fine on natural gas with minimal changes(see Australia) or on E85(see Brazil) or biodiesel or butanol. There are a lot of other easy to do solutions that already work and don't rely on pumping oil out of the ground, which by the way isn't going to "run out" in anyones lifetime soon.

I personally like riding bikes, on trails. But like horses, they are recreational items and not really useful unless your job is 2 blocks away.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,053,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Listen dufuss I am also a bike rider and I know my place and it is not to ride the public roadways like I am on a motorcycle. Nobody is out to kill you or any other bicycle rider just keep to the right and stay out of the way and nobody gets hurt.
And your post here has absolutely noting to do with automotive so just go away.

Mods, PLEASE GIVE THESE JERKS THEIR OWN FORUM
Says the guy who threatens to run people over with his car.

Lighten up champ. Part of the problem with a public forum is that you will get people who disagree with you. Sucks, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive