U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 AM

287 posts, read 215,000 times

Advertisements

Go to your DMV or Secretary of State office and all you should have to do is fill out a "Lost Title" form. Here in Michigan that process takes about 15 minutes and bingo! You have a title. All you need to have is current registration and proof of insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,261,772 times
Selling a car without a title is easy, start by unbolting the doors, hood, trunk. Once all the easily unbolted stuff is out of the way, break out the chopsaw and start cutting it into manageable pieces. In some situations (you will know when) if you find a VIN# melt it out with a cutting torch. Load all the pieces on a trailer and drive it to the scrap yard, unload and get paid cash.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 450 times
Ive had a car for five years but my dad has the pink slip since he bought it cash when i was fifteen. We don't talk at all and wanted to sell the car. What's my best option?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 353 times
So I have a car that was my grandmas, & she passed away in 2005. Also unfortunately I had a house fire a few yrs later in 2009. So any documents I did have are long gone. I have to move or get rid of car or city is going to start fining me. What do I do

Old 09-02-2017, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 281 times
I got a ? so I bought a car from my little brother that he had the title but now he cant find it I wanted to fixs the car up and keep it for my self but the other problem is he never got the title into his name and now I'm screwed is there somehow I can just go get the car into my name or do I have to have my little brother plus the old owner of the car with me its a 02 monte carlo ss its the only car I have and I have already put a new battery into it and had to fixs some stuff on it can someone help me out plz?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,793 posts, read 37,464,612 times
current /(last) registered owner still 'owns' the car (according to the state) if there is not a bill of sale / record of transaction.

If your Bro has a bill of sale, then he would need to provide the 'Lost title documents' to previous owner, replacement title will come o previous owner, then you take that + Bill of Sale (from your bro, or Previous owner) to DMV to transfer ownership and register.

You likely need to get a replacement title BEFORE you get rolling (depends on state)

Some states will accept a "relinquishment of ownership" signed by PO, but they will want a Bill Of Sale. I prefer to present them with a Bill Of Sale from their own State DMV (most forms are available from your state 'on-line').

The state just wants to be sure the vehicle has properly changed ownership, and they get their fees and potentially some extra income via penalties for not registering in accordance with law.
Thus it is preferred you anc the Previous owner work this out dated the day he gets the replacement title (which you will need to reimburse him the fee).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-04-2017 at 01:45 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 202 times
I'm several months behind on my car payment due to being unemployed but don't want it to get repossessed n lose 5 yrs of payments plus deposit. Can I sell it without the title & just arrange to make smaller payments with the auto finance company?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:40 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,634,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlayton View Post
I'm several months behind on my car payment due to being unemployed but don't want it to get repossessed n lose 5 yrs of payments plus deposit. Can I sell it without the title & just arrange to make smaller payments with the auto finance company?
Can it be done? Yes. Will your finance company do it in this situation? Nobody knows but them. You may also be able to refinance the car so you can get lower payments for a longer period, if that will help. Again, you'll have to call them to see if it's an option.

Understand, though, that if you sell the car before it's paid off the proceeds will have to go to the finance company in order for you te get the title. If you can sell the car for more than it's worth, great, you'll have the loan paid off with a little to spare. If not, you'll have to work with them on paying off the balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive