U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM

4,847 posts, read 5,012,749 times
Question How to sell a car without the Title?

I need to sell my dads 1995 Chevy Corsica within the next 2 weeks.
He's a senior and cannot drive anymore.
Problem is that he cannot find the Title.
I'm moving from NYC in less than 2 weeks and dont have enough time to get a replacement title.
I put the car on Craigslist and had quite a few offers.
How can I sell this car?

Also...
I also called a 'Junk your car for cash' business they said they didnt need the title...just hadda sign some form.
Is that possible?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 PM

8,168 posts, read 21,392,136 times
If you cannot locate the title nor have the time to obtain a duplicate in your time frame, then you're looking at selling the car without the title.

There are two possibilities:

1) Sell the car with the intent to get the title to the buyer. You could structure a private party sale where they give you a (refundable) deposit to secure the sale, and you show them proof that you've initiated the process to get the duplicate title which will be promptly signed over to the buyer in exchange for the balance due. This will take time, resources, and trust on the part of the buyer ... especially if you won't release the car to the buyer until the car is paid in full. This could be time consumptive to complete this deal, especially if you need to be somewhere else.

FWIW, this wouldn't be a totally foreign transaction to many car dealers ... where folk trade in a car and don't have the title in hand; the dealer writes up the contract, pays for the car, and processes the paperwork with an application for the title and it's release to you (via a Power of Attorney) signing over your interest in the car to the dealer. It's a lot of paperwork for somebody not in the business to do, but that's what Title Clerks are for at the dealerships ... to track down and get clear title to the vehicles they buy so they can resell them. They are pro's and used to seeing this type of stuff everyday.

2) Sell the car without the title, either by a donation to a charitable organization or sale to a junk yard. Either can take the car with just a release to them. If the car isn't worth a lot of money, then this may be your most time and cost effective route to get rid of the car. What's your time worth?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,796,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
I also called a 'Junk your car for cash' business they said they didnt need the title...just hadda sign some form.
Is that possible?
Thanks in advance
Yes. Junk yards do not require a title if the vehicle is over 6 or so years old. I've. I've sold two vehicles to junk yards without titles with no problems.

Last edited by dorado0359; 03-11-2011 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Not sure in your stae but in Texas its possible to get a quick title by the tled owner. Call and check with your local DMV.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 424 times
I live in PA and have a car title with my daughter and my names on it. I have not seen nor spoken with my daughter in 4 years and would like to sell the car. Is there a way to do this without her signing the titles? I can register the car every year without it, want to get rid of the car!

Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM

14,504 posts, read 6,834,505 times
stop in at the local DMV and get a power of attorney for the vehicle in question. that way you can sign the power of attorney over to the buyer of the car, and they can then title the car with that document and a bill of sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive