U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 70,036 times

Advertisements

I want to rent a luxury car (because they don't have sports car rentals). I know Avis has the Cadillac CTS, but thats NOT guaranted.

With my luck I would end up with a older model Buick or Lincoln Town Car Thats a lot of money to shell for a outdated slush.

I know I know what you are thinking.. "just call them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 AM

7,303 posts, read 22,732,022 times
Our local Avis dealer offered those up until a couple of years ago, now dont seem to. Back in 2007 we rented "luxury" and they gave us a 2007 Buick Lucerne, now they dont have those... then back in 2009 we rented luxury again and got a 2009 Toyota Avalon... past year or so I never see them on the lot... now they mostly only carry Impala, Taurus, Camry, Fusion, etc as the larger cars.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 AM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
I don't understand.

The times I have rented luxury cars, I have gotten Cadillac, Jag, Lincoln Navigator, etc.
Those are luxury cars.
Who the heck is trying to pass off an Avalon as a luxury car?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
AND...they do have sport car rentals. Almost every rental agency has a slew of Mustangs...and I think it is Hertz who has the yellow Corvettes. If you want a real Exotic, there are numerous places that will rent you an higher end 2 seater.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 AM

2,698 posts, read 9,519,350 times
Closest I came was a Town Car I got when they 'upgraded' me for free. After 20 miles, I wished they had just left me in the class I had signed up for. I didn't hate it, but why someone would spend good money on an over-dressed Crown Vic I have no clue.

Mike

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
A "regular" luxury car from the major rental agencies is in the vein of the Town Car, MKZ, DTS, sometimes STS, etc. From there, you can upgrade to the specials, if they have them at the location, to get Jaguars, Mercedes, etc. Call to see if you can stipulate the make/model. I have done that with Mercedes, BMW convertibles, large SUVs, Volvo sedans/convertibles/wagons, etc. Also, for a car in the fleet, call the company and inquire as to what is offered in the luxury category at the location from which you want to rent, since the local office might not even have a CTS in the fleet.

The only thing I would check is whether or not the rental agency stipulates a mileage limit on the car, not generally a factor with the "regular" luxury car. Check your insurance policy limits, especially if you are using the credit card insurance as there may be a value limit as to the car they will cover. Many will not cover SUVs and trucks, too, which can be a problem if you want an Escalade. You can buy supplemental insurance inexpensively online, or take the rental car company's policy at the counter.

Some locations cannot make a profit on the luxury cars, so they do cancel them, especially if it's a local office, not the airport. Then, the premium class of Buicks and Avalons would be all that they have to offer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-12-2011 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,606,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Closest I came was a Town Car I got when they 'upgraded' me for free. After 20 miles, I wished they had just left me in the class I had signed up for. I didn't hate it, but why someone would spend good money on an over-dressed Crown Vic I have no clue.

Mike
A Town Car is more than an overdressed Crown Vic. They are bigger and heavier, for one thing. And they have features not available on the Crown Vic.

A friend rented a Town Car to drive from the San Fernando Valley to Bakersfield and really enjoyed the drive. He said it felt great on the freeway. Certainly more enjoyable than a cramped compact.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM

12 posts, read 37,641 times
Well,I wanted to rent a Ford EXpedition EL in Miami & I got "offers " at..$2K/month,or...700/week,so...
I decided just to ask it from a dealer for test drive...

Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarmin View Post
I want to rent a luxury car (because they don't have sports car rentals). I know Avis has the Cadillac CTS, but thats NOT guaranted.

With my luck I would end up with a older model Buick or Lincoln Town Car Thats a lot of money to shell for a outdated slush.

Let's break the question into two parts:

First, can you rent an exotic? There are a number of rental car agencies that specialize in sports car rentals.

Las Vegas Exotic Car Rentals, Las Vegas Luxury Car Rentals - VLR
Dream Car Rentals Las Vegas

Do realize that these rentals generally cost megabucks, have serious mileage restrictions and the like.

Second, can you rent a luxury car at the rental agencies? Absolutely. However, you need to make calls as opposed to taking whatever they have. At this time, you can generally get some pretty decent cars at a large city airport.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,732,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't understand.

The times I have rented luxury cars, I have gotten Cadillac, Jag, Lincoln Navigator, etc.
Those are luxury cars.
Who the heck is trying to pass off an Avalon as a luxury car?
rental companies in NE Tennessee, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive