Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The short answer is the current US diesel emission standards. They are different (not necessarily better, just different) from the European diesel emission standards. That makes it prohibitively expensive to certify most car models--especially the lower sales volume models--to the different US emission standards. It's stupid and Congress and the President could fix the problem by simply adopting the same diesel emission standard now in effect in Europe. There are numerous diesel cars on sale in Europe, including some built by US manufacturers, that crack the 50 to 60 mpg (US gallons) fuel economy barrier. In many cases, the diesels also outperform their gasoline counterparts. A good example is the Fiat 500. The soon-to-be-sold in the US gasoline version of this vehicle manages 38 mpg on the highway; the diesel version sold in Europe gets near 60 mpg on the highway--50 percent better fuel economy. This percentage spread in fuel economy is not unusual when diesel engines and gas engines are compared in the same vehicle. Right now, where I live, diesel fuel costs approximately 14% more than gasoline. I'll gladly pay 15% more for fuel for an engine that gets 50% better fuel economy.

I've widely opined that, in the long-run, our automobile/highway-centered lifestyle is not sustainable, but until we have viable alternatives, at least being able to drive the most fuel-efficient vehicles available can buy us some time--especially when those vehicles already exist and are being sold in other parts of the world.

that good ole waste of a country agency called the e.p.a. is why we do not have cleaner cars and trucks nor more diesel powered vehicles. That is the largest detriment to our nation ever , an agency that should never have existed and has done nothing but cost us millions of jobs and higher expenses. F*** the e.p.a. and the treasonest in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodiesel4x4 View Post
I have read a lot of articles where there was a good number of folks wanting a 1/2 ton diesel. The interest is out there, it's just who's going to come up with the first one. GM and Toyota both have considered 1/2 ton diesels. I think I remember Toyota looking at Isuzu for engines. Gm uses them in their Duramax.

Oh, I'm sorry, you were asking about cars. Sorry, my mistake.

Ford also has a diesel ready for their 1/2 ton trucks, but is holding back because of the over charging on diesel fuel. There is NO excuse for the 15ppm regulations the e.p.a. and dumba**es in congress went along with for diesel fuel. All it has done is drive fuel cost too high and severely injured our economy from that increased cost of transportation.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You can't get a diesel smartCar here but you can in Canada. The car companies don't want us getting 40+ miles to the gallon silly boy.

20yrsinBranson
But they don't care if you do in Europe, right?

...Your theory doesn't hold, sorry, it's a lot simpler than a unifying conspiracy by the manufacturers.

The US government care less about CO2 emissions and more about NOX emissions where the opposite is true for Europe. Diesel car release significantly less CO2 than Petrols, but they release more NOX, so they're generally not easy to get approved for the market in the US.

As far as others have commented on whether it's a true cost saving or not: A BMW 320id has 170 hp, near as makes no difference, 400 Nm and gets up to 60 mpg (US Gallon), easily avg 45 mpg (combined), even with a heavy right foot.

I've personally gotten 69 mpg on pure highway driving w/cruise control.

Oh, and in Europe they sell for right around the price of the Petrol one.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 AM

226 posts, read 559,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Ford also has a diesel ready for their 1/2 ton trucks, but is holding back because of the over charging on diesel fuel. There is NO excuse for the 15ppm regulations the e.p.a. and dumba**es in congress went along with for diesel fuel. All it has done is drive fuel cost too high and severely injured our economy from that increased cost of transportation.
I haven't read that. Thanks for letting me know!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
It was amusing to see The Chrysler 300 sedan in Australia with a diesel engine...not available here of course.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 AM

I think it will take a while for americans to come around to diesel engines. A lot of us still remember the diesels of past bellowing thick black smoke into the atmosphere. Tractor trailers were some of the worst offenders.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,071 times
Isn't diesel easier to produce/more plentiful from a barrel of crude? Isn't the higher price at the pump due to tax?

I wouldn't mind a diesel hybrid.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 AM

448 posts, read 1,054,664 times
its the fisrts thing to break down when they make fuel. the reason its so expensive is because not to many people buy it. i myself prefer a diesel car over an eletric one better milage and the damm enging will go 3 million miles no prob well untill the floor boards fall out.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Motor that last 2 to 3 times longer, mileage double that of gasoline. I think it would pay off very quickly.
But the typical new car buyers won't keep it that long for it to happen. A typical hybrids could take 8 to 9 years before they pay off the premium they cost over a typical new subcompact, however gas is cheaper then diesel, there's a trendy subculture behind driving one that makes you look smart, green and eco-conscious, and they aren't associated with big nasty 18-wheelers and you aren't forced to go where those guys fill up their vehicles to find it. Some people still believe all diesels are loud, clattery and belch black smoke. And as long as diesel costs more per gallon then gas, they are less likely to research and find out.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
But the typical new car buyers won't keep it that long for it to happen. A typical hybrids could take 8 to 9 years before they pay off the premium...
I have heard this myself, but wonder if that applies to a used diesel. I bought mine when it was 5 years old. Its sticker, when new, was around 45 grand. I got it for 16 grand. Is that premium non existent in a used diesel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive