Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

The plans have been made. Now the plans to add bicycle pathways to local roads await being implemented nationwide. With these plans uniformity will ensured so get get used to seeing, and driving, with them.

NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide | NACTO

One good point about the plan is that bicyclist will no longer be able to ride willy nilly in traffic they ,as well as drivers, will have new traffic rules to follow by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
They are all over Portland plus this is bike city USA. One of the cities bridges is outside my Condo and some 5000 bikes cross this bridge each day with the AM rush hour. There are bikes everywhere here on the roads with drivers. I do not agree with this especially in tight urban type settings such as Portland. Im all for people riding bikes but not on crowded city streets with all forms of vehicles and transit vehicles.

I drive very little here in Portland and I am afraid of hitting someone with this many bikes on the road with me. There are so many collisions between cars and bikes here, and the last few years so many deaths of these bike riders.

So I think if this is how its going to be. That bikes are going to be everywhere across America, then I hope its done better than Portland has done it. Dispite all its praise for bike friendly, Portland did a lousy job building proper trailways and most riding is on streets and sidewalks competing with all sorts of traffic. Scary stuff

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
The only problem I have with this is here they are taking two lane roads and changing them into one lane roads with a bike path. Talk about making traffic worse.

busta

Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
It's an interesting plan, but the problem is that the vast majority of areas particularly in the northeast simply don't have the room to add these dedicated paths. It's sort of a Catch-22. You could justify building the bike lanes if you knew that there would be a corresponding drop in car traffic that would compensate for the lost lanes. Of course, those decisions are going to be based on studies of how many bike riders there are. Of course, that number is most likely artificially low as people won't commute on bikes without the safety of the dedicated lanes.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
Ah, another category of "moving pylons" to dodge.

Do you get bonus point for running them over ?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Ah, another category of "moving pylons" to dodge.

Do you get bonus point for running them over ?
Yes, but how much depends on whether or not they are pretending they are Lanse Armstrong in the Tour de France.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Here come the "jokes" about mowing bicyclists down, because they present such a risk and danger to those poor motorists actually having to share the road.

I'm not amused. Just think the next bicyclist you hit (or jokingly skirt right by) by not giving them a little room is someone's son or daughter.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Here come the "jokes" about mowing bicyclists down, because they present such a risk and danger to those poor motorists actually having to share the road.

I'm not amused. Just think the next bicyclist you hit (or jokingly skirt right by) by not giving them a little room is someone's son or daughter.
When I see bicycles carrying a license plate meaning they have paid a road use tax just like we do with our autos I will start giving them the room/respect that they have paid for.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

I'd never intentionally hit anyone, however, I don't enjoy the majority of cyclists that I happen to come into contact with on a daily basis that completely ignore all traffic signs including stop signs and red lights, ride between slower moving or stopped cars, refuse to yield right of way to faster moving traffic, etc.

It's a two way street and unfortunately it seems like most cyclists feel the actual rules of the road don't apply to them. Their antics make the people in cars nervous, because we are after all driving two tons of metal that doesn't exactly stop on a dime and we are pretty much 100% sure that even if the cyclist ran into us, we would be the ones getting sued.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:57 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
I'm not out to amuse everyone. You are not amused ? Take it to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive