U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM

18,542 posts, read 13,678,653 times

Advertisements

No chance to drive. bid accordingly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 PM

13,494 posts, read 29,434,352 times
There's a public car auction not far from here, most of the cars there have over 150k miles on them. Some of them are so filthy I wouldn't even sit in them, and the smells, WHEW! Makes you wonder just what people do in these cars.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,485,360 times
My husband and I considered going this route because a co worker of his buys all his cars from public auctions. I wasn't fond of the idea. So my husband went last thursday to check it out. He said all they had was garbage. Extremely high mileage cars, rust buckets and so forth. He stuck around for a bit to see what sold for what. Some of the cars had a auction guarantee. Not sure what that is but we are assuming some sort of short warranty period. The rest of the cars were as-is. What concerned me about the whole idea is we got rid of our ford explorer last year that had a host of serious problems. We traded it in at the dealer. The salesman told me the truck would go to a local auction. Our truck still looked really nice but needed a lot of money to fix which wasn't worth the value. I feel sorry for anyone that might buy it at an auction. It was a nightmare vehicle for us.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,687,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My husband and I considered going this route because a co worker of his buys all his cars from public auctions. I wasn't fond of the idea. So my husband went last thursday to check it out. He said all they had was garbage. Extremely high mileage cars, rust buckets and so forth. He stuck around for a bit to see what sold for what. Some of the cars had a auction guarantee. Not sure what that is but we are assuming some sort of short warranty period. The rest of the cars were as-is. What concerned me about the whole idea is we got rid of our ford explorer last year that had a host of serious problems. We traded it in at the dealer. The salesman told me the truck would go to a local auction. Our truck still looked really nice but needed a lot of money to fix which wasn't worth the value. I feel sorry for anyone that might buy it at an auction. It was a nightmare vehicle for us.
Thanks guys. I won't be buying any cars from the auction. Its best if I purchase them from individual car owners.

Last edited by Veyron; 03-16-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM

1,610 posts, read 3,840,221 times
Just thinking of all the floods in the nation lately would scare me off

Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,199,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Just thinking of all the floods in the nation lately would scare me off
Insurance auctions are a whole different story, and not what the OP has in context.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Insurance auctions are a whole different story, and not what the OP has in context.
In some of the consumer auctions, you will see cars that have been flood damaged. They have been cleaned up to look good.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,334,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Second, at these auctions, sellers are REQUIRED to disclose major defects in the vehicle - frame damage, serious accident damage, transmission or engine failure and the like. ,,,.
I think you missed mentioning "sellers are REQUIRED to disclose known major defects".

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I think you missed mentioning "sellers are REQUIRED to disclose known major defects".
Those are the NATIONAL AUCTIONS like Manheim and Adessa which are for dealers. That is NOT the case in some of the consumer auctions which are like the wild west.

Good try though.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:43 AM

14 posts, read 65,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
=========================

I am a fleet manager who sells my cars that are off-lease at Manheim or the ADESA auctions depending on their location.

First, in order to attend an auction, you have to have a dealers or wholesalers license. They are NOT open to the public. Occasionally, a person can be brought into the auction by a dealership but that does not occur much.

Second, at these auctions, sellers are REQUIRED to disclose major defects in the vehicle - frame damage, serious accident damage, transmission or engine failure and the like. At these auctions, dealers have a right to return within a very short time frame. And it is done.

In general, dealers buy cars that they can sell at a profit REGARDLESS of the brand. You are right that a dealer prefers used cars of his own brand BUT few will pass up a good condition Toyota Camry or Honda Accord as they move on any lot. (I had a friend who specialized in buying Ford Taurus vehicles with bad transmissions a few years back. He could buy them for next to nothing, rebuild the transmission and make a hefty margin.)

As for consumer auctions, they generally sell low quality cars. I have been to quite a few of them. You better be a real mechanic to ensure you are not getting a lemon. Remember that you CANNOT drive the vehicle before the sale.

Municipal auctions are a little better but you are buying fleet cars that are generally miled up and are in generally worn-out condition. Or you are buying retired police cruisers which are also pretty beaten up.
There's a dealer who for a fee of a couple hundred dollars who will bid for you (the public). This is at Manheim in Hollywood FL. His ad is displayed on a bus bench right outside the auction grounds. Is there any problems doing it that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive