Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:59 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times

Advertisements

I would say test drive each and every vehicle you are considering. You might also want to consider the Toyota Highlander. If this is for your wife, then I would most certainly get awd but that will significantly add to the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The Enclave is a nice crossover, though you may be finding fleet vehicles for sale as used cars. A Honda Pilot would meet all the needs, though won't be as luxurious, even fully optioned, as an Enclave.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Where did anyone hear the Flex is being discontinued. It's been a major sales flop, selling only about 40% of what Ford expected it to, but everything out of Ford is saying that it will be around until at least 2014 as they feel they have room in their portfolio for all the vehicles. I don't necessarily share that sentiment, but Ford thinks they can make a business case for Flex.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Check out the new 2011 Dodge Durango. Availble with a 360HP (not 390) 5.7 or 292HP V6 if you want better MPG. You can get a basic V6 AWD for ~$30k.

I'd get the R/T model personally

I have a 2007 Durango Limited 4x4 HEMI with 68k flawless miles and looking at upgrading in the next year. I also have 75k on my 06 Magnum R/T AWD with not a single issue. The new Dodge stuff is way better. Sure Chrysler put out some crap, but so do other manufactures. My mother had a 2001 Acura TL that went through 3 transmissions before she got rid of that POS.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
If she loves the Enclave get it. Great SUV and good size. INterior is good but not like Lexus levels. Its good looking too!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Thanks for all of the replies... I have tried to address all replies one on one. Basically I think she may end up going with the Enclave CX AWD with cloth interior. I have done more research and.... the GMs do have a better warranty than Ford or Toyota (100K mile powertrain warranty) and the GM offers the roadside assistance for 100K... Toyota dont offer it at all, but Ford does for 50K. Buick also has a 4 yr/50K bumper to bumper, Ford, Toyota do not... they stop at 3yr/36K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Buick Enclaves are nice, but you really seem to be all over the board from Ford Explorer to Buick Enclave to Chevy Tahoe or even an...Escalade? Narrow down what you really want and go from there, just make a list of options that are necessary and find vehicles matching that criteria.

My fiancee and I have an Escalade and we like it. Big and fuel-thirsty but it IS comfortable and does have quite a bit of room even in the rear.

The Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse are twins, just depends which one you care for (Enclave is a bit more...higher-quality). Test drive and see what you think but is there any particular reason she doesn't like leather? All the Enclaves I've ever seen have leather, I suppose you can get cloth seats but you may have to order one.
Yeah, right now we are at the first stages of elimination, lol. She wants something fairly large, with the 3rd seat, but we think the Suburban and Escalade are a little too large for her, so I think we have eliminated that one. Yeah, she likes the Buick version of that style, the Enclave, I like the Traverse, all except not a fan of the "up sweeping" cargo area window. Yeah, you are right, you can actually get an Enclave with the cloth interior... its actually standard on the base Enclave CX, but I guess most dealers think most buyers want leather, so dont order any with the cloth.... our local dealer said we could order one with cloth or they would find one. She really likes the Buick over the Chevy or Saturn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I HIGHLY recommend the Ford Flex. My father has one decked out with about every option they have (EcoBoost, leather, AWD, monitors in headrests, etc) and it's absolutely phenomenal.

Mike
I like them, she dont. lol. I dont see many on the road here, but when I do, I look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The new Explorer is well new, so it will have the latest and greatest. Of course, in base trim, most of that won't be on the car anyway. The GM Lambda SUV's which include the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse have been on the market since 2007 and have a great reliability track record and are very popular vehicles.

I would personally look at all four and see which one suits her best. You have to remember that the only differences between the GM triplets are interior design appointments, some exterior styling cues and available options. So, you may find that the much cheaper Chevy is a better option than the Buick or that the GMC strikes the sweet spot between the two.

In terms of AWD, it is entirely regionally dependent. Anyone of the four are going to perform well in normal snow conditions in FWD form. Obviously AWD provides a benefit, but that benefit will cost you a couple thousand at purchase and result in lower fuel economy. You need to decide if the cost is ultimately worth it to you. In terms of resale, again it is regionally dependent. An AWD will generally command slightly stronger resale value, but we are talking maybe $500 between two otherwise identical models.
Thanks. Yeah, we are going to go in a couple of weeks and take a closer look... she didnt even like the looks of the Flex. I dont think she is all that wild about the Explorer now (though I am, lol). We really dont need 4wd (or AWD, whichever you want to call it), as we dont get much snow here and what few we do get we have managed getting out and about with our current FWD car, so maybe even a FWD Enclave would offer enough traction for our rare snow events. We only average 13 inches of snow per year, but there are some mornings where the roads could be snowy for a couple of hours, but snow is rarely even on the grass here for more than a couple of days. I thought it would be nice to have though if ever really needed or for a better resell down the road? Oh yes, Buick is offering $2000 cash back, I dont think Ford is offering anything since the Explorer is so new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
The boss' daughter drives a Saturn Outlook (the forgotten Lambda sibling); I don't recall her exact height, but she's not that tall either, and she's fine driving it. So your mom will most likely be fine in the Enclave.

Also, another nod to for you/mom to look into the Ford Flex ...
2011 Ford Flex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are looking for a new vehicle of the same type. My wife has always had a full sized conversoin van. She wants something easier to drive and park, four wheel drive, but still able to hold at least 7 passengers.

This is our opinion so far:

Traverse and its sisters are highly rated. They are almost the same as the Dodge Durango in every regard including price. Traverse is a little nicer in that it has more storage pockets and slightly better fit and finish. Both are somewhat chintzy feeling inside compared to the big fancy and expensive SUVs like Tahoe or Suburban. Both traverse and the Durango are pretty difficult to get onto the third row rear seat. In both cases, the salesman did not know and could not figure out how to get the second row set out of the way. We eventually figured it out.

Dodge has no incetnives right now and none on the horizon. GM has various incentives from time to time and they are always changing (plus we can buy GM on the employee plan becuase my dad retired from there).

Durango offers a 5.7 litre hemi (390 hp). Exciting to me, stupid to my wife. We have had several Chrysler vehicles between 1998 and 2005. All of them tend to fall apart a lot. they just were nto well made. Door handles just fall off, one brand new van, the transmission pan alsmot fell off becuase the bolts had not been tightened. Have they licked this problem? Older Chrysler cars were great. We had a 1988 van go close to 200,000 miles with almost no problems.

Dodge says Durangos do not roll over like they used to. Also says Chrysler is not going out of business. (He was not sure what happens to the warranty if they do).

Traverse and Durango both handle better and are easier to drive than the big SUVs. Easier to park too.

We looked at the Town & County, but it seems really cheapo on the inside, plus 4 wheel drive is not available.

Wife is not interested in foreign brands. Yes we hear the propaganda about them being made in the US, but many of our friends work in design, managment, marketing, financing, or corporate stuff at the big three. We know where the profit, and overhead portion of our car purchase goes, it goes to our friends, not to Japan or Korea (however we are currently sending money to Japan, so maybe we should not be adverse to sending them some as part of car purchase). Besides, the big three cars have a different feel to them inside, I cannot describe it, but they are defeinitely differnet. Clearly not designed by and for smaller people. In any event, it does not matter since wifey will not even think about anything but a big 3 vehicle.

All of them are insanely expensive. Tahoe and Suburban are super insanely expensive. I am not going to pay $50,000 to $60,000 for a car regardless of whether we can afford it.

We are leannig towards a slightly used Tahoe (if they have a thrid row of seats,) or a Suburban, but she has not driven one, and she did not like the one that she test drove in 2005 (it was a used one, so probably 2002-2004, I believe that they improved them in 2004). I think that they are fine, and will probably evnetually get an Avalanche (which is a suburban). She did nto like having the "big nose sticking out there" and found it hard to corner and to park. More so than a full size van.

The Ford Flex with the super or turbo charged engine got great reviews, but they are horridly ugly, they look like they cannot be very aerodynamic (but the fuel mileage is about the same) and they are being discontinued (probably because they are so ugly). They are also considerably more expensive for the same features/performance as a Traverse/Durango. We may go drive a Flex, but it is not a likely candidate.
Thanks for all of that information, very informative. Yeah, we were originally looking at the new Escalade for fun, but prices near $70K for a base 4wd model! Even if we could afford it, she said she didnt want to invest that much into a car... I think it would lose its value fast anyway. The new Suburban is around $44K for a base LS with 4wd, but again, that may be too large for her. I honestly think she may end up going with the Enclave. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Given your experiences with Chrysler products, I'm very surprised to hear you would give them another shot with that Durango. We, too, had horrible experiences with our late-90s Chrysler product and it left such a bad taste in our mouths that no one in my family will touch Chrysler with a 10-ft pole. It's a shame, too, because I REALLY like the looks of some of their new stuff, but from all I read it doesn't appear they've learned any lessons in relability.

Now, as to the Flex, obviously aesthetics are all up to personal taste. I like it because it does't look like all the other mid-size SUVs out there. Not that I consider any of them ugly, but basically every last one seems to try really hard to nail down that 'indistinct blob' look Lexus coined with the RX back in the day. As for their cancellation, you could argue that it had to do with aesthetics. However, you also have to look at the SUV line-up they would have if the Flex stayed. Escape, Explorer, Edge, Expedition, and Flex? Something just had to go. But as to mileage, it's actually quite good for a vehicle its size. And really, if you're seriously considering a Tahoe/Suburban or a V8 Durango, is mileage truly a concern?

Mike
yeah, I have wondered and hoped that Mopars quality has vastly improved... we rented a 2010 Avenger last summer and I was still not impressed... perhaps the Durango is a different story though... I read a review on the new Journey (Dodge) and it got some good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would say test drive each and every vehicle you are considering. You might also want to consider the Toyota Highlander. If this is for your wife, then I would most certainly get awd but that will significantly add to the price.
Very good idea and thats what I told her... it will eventually boil down to checking them all out in person and taking for a spin. (Its actually my mother and she will NEVER need the AWD, but I thought it would be nice to have if we ever did need it for one of our rare snows, or resell later on?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The Enclave is a nice crossover, though you may be finding fleet vehicles for sale as used cars. A Honda Pilot would meet all the needs, though won't be as luxurious, even fully optioned, as an Enclave.
Thanks BMW - I mentioned the Pilot, but she dont like the styling... she used to love 4-Runners, but dont care as much for the new ones. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Check out the new 2011 Dodge Durango. Availble with a 360HP (not 390) 5.7 or 292HP V6 if you want better MPG. You can get a basic V6 AWD for ~$30k.

I have a 2007 Durango Limited 4x4 HEMI with 68k flawless miles and looking at upgrading in the next year. I also have 75k on my 06 Magnum R/T AWD with not a single issue. The new Dodge stuff is way better. Sure Chrysler put out some crap, but so do other manufactures. My mother had a 2001 Acura TL that went through 3 transmissions before she got rid of that POS.
I like the new Durango myself, but my dad hates Mopars, so I dont think thats even an option. He knows how the 90s-early 2000s models were and I think thats a hamper on it... I think they have improved though, or I hope, but personally I love the styling of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
If she loves the Enclave get it. Great SUV and good size. INterior is good but not like Lexus levels. Its good looking too!
Yeah, she does, I think thats what we may end up with.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Mileage is a concern. It is just not the concern. If there were a 7-8 passenger vehicle that gets 30 MPG or more, I would definitely pay attention. However I really do nto care whether my car is rated for 15 or 17 MPG. It just makes no real difference. I can make up tht difference in cast by stiming my gas purchases carefully (there is a 10 cent or more difference in gas prices from county to county. Not sure why).

Our problem with the Flex is not mileage. It is the price and ugliness. Persoanlly I sometimes like ugly cars, I like unique things that you can find quickly in the parknig lot (When I had a black F-150 I once got into the wrong vehicle and scared the heck out of the lady sitting in the passenger seat). However we are looking for a car for my wife. and for her, styling come in near the top of the list. Drive train performance is near the bottom. I am the opposite. To me, driving should be fun.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Thanks for all of the replies! I think she has decided to go with the Buick Enclave CX AWD (on my recommendation). I stopped and looked at a 2011 Explorer on Tuesday and I just dont think she would be that happy with it and the Buicks warranty is so much better.

We will likely have to order an Enclave she likes, as she wants a white one with beige cloth seats and all of the ones on the local dealer lots have leather interior. I also suggested a base CX model with some options she wants because I dont think you can get the CXL with cloth. AWD is also likely going to be an option.

We were out and about yesterday (Tuesday) and stopped by a local dealer just to see what they had (we have about 4 local Buick dealers here). One dealer acted as if it would be an issue, "most have leather, I havent even seen one with cloth, but I guess you could get one", he said, so we will likely choose another dealer/salesman. If we are going to pay $35-$40K for a car, shouldnt it be what she wants? He didnt even seem eager to sell a car, never offered a brochure, card or anything, just said, "come back and we will see if we can get you in one" - we never told him we would be paying cash. Just because we were driving a 23 year old Mercedes and not dressed to the hilt dont mean we cant afford it.... this will be a CASH sale, no financing at all for his info... if he dont want our money, we will go elsewhere. lol.

Guess it will basically boil down to which dealer offers the best service and price in the end.... hopefully in 3-6 weeks this will be done.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 03-23-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! I think she has decided to go with the Buick Enclave CX AWD (on my recommendation). I stopped and looked at a 2011 Explorer on Tuesday and I just dont think she would be that happy with it and the Buicks warranty is so much better.

We will likely have to order an Enclave she likes, as she wants a white one with beige cloth seats and all of the ones on the local dealer lots have leather interior. I also suggested a base CX model with some options she wants because I dont think you can get the CXL with cloth. AWD is also likely going to be an option.

We were out and about yesterday (Tuesday) and stopped by a local dealer just to see what they had (we have about 4 local Buick dealers here). One dealer acted as if it would be an issue, "most have leather, I havent even seen one with cloth, but I guess you could get one", he said, so we will likely choose another dealer/salesman. If we are going to pay $35-$40K for a car, shouldnt it be what she wants? He didnt even seem eager to sell a car, never offered a brochure, card or anything, just said, "come back and we will see if we can get you in one" - we never told him we would be paying cash. Just because we were driving a 23 year old Mercedes and not dressed to the hilt dont mean we cant afford it.... this will be a CASH sale, no financing at all for his info... if he dont want our money, we will go elsewhere. lol.

Guess it will basically boil down to which dealer offers the best service and price in the end.... hopefully in 3-6 weeks this will be done.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Your little story about how you were dressed and what you were driving reminded me of a funny story one of the Cadillac salesman was telling me.

He and another guy were working the floor and an older guy pulls up in a beat up Silverado wearing jeans and a flannel. It was the other guys turn in the rotation, but he told the guy I know you can have this one. A couple minutes later a guy in a Vette pulls up wearing a suit. The other salesman looks at the guy I know and smiles, like man I lucked out.

Long story short, the old guy in the Silverado wrote a check for a fully loaded DTS for his wife, thanked everyone and said that he would be back tomorrow with his wife to pick up the car. The guy in the suit was still hung up in financing since he had some "blemishes" and was trying to roll his negative equity Vette into the deal and it didn't look like it was going to happen.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Your little story about how you were dressed and what you were driving reminded me of a funny story one of the Cadillac salesman was telling me.

He and another guy were working the floor and an older guy pulls up in a beat up Silverado wearing jeans and a flannel. It was the other guys turn in the rotation, but he told the guy I know you can have this one. A couple minutes later a guy in a Vette pulls up wearing a suit. The other salesman looks at the guy I know and smiles, like man I lucked out.

Long story short, the old guy in the Silverado wrote a check for a fully loaded DTS for his wife, thanked everyone and said that he would be back tomorrow with his wife to pick up the car. The guy in the suit was still hung up in financing since he had some "blemishes" and was trying to roll his negative equity Vette into the deal and it didn't look like it was going to happen.
Your story reminds me of my dad when I go with him to buy a car! Granted he has a fairly new truck but I've walked with him into Lexus, Cadillac, and Mercedes dealerships and he's wearing his dirty Wrangler jeans and an ugly sweatshirt and I know the salesmen have to think that this overweight, retired farmer can't even afford to buy decent clothes much less one of their shiny new cars! One time at the Lexus dealer, I think the salesmen was reluctant to even have us test drive the LS model...which my dad later wrote a check for on that day.

You can't judge a book by its cover especially when it comes to the older generation, they ARE the ones with the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive