U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,732,022 times

Advertisements

We are in the market for a mid to full-size 2011 SUV for my mom and at a crossroads. It must be available with the 3rd row seat, which seems available in most all of these.

She loves the new Buick Enclave, but I see alot of these fairly used on ebay for sale... is it they are having problems and already selling them, or fleet models or? They have a nice warranty, so I dont think they would be selling because of problems and its my understanding that Buick still makes super cars. We were looking at the Escalade, Suburban, etc but I think they are a bit too large for her and pretty pricey - a new Escalade pushes near $70K and even a base 4wd Suburban is around $43K.

I have also been looking at the 2011 4-Runner and 2011 Explorer. The 4-Runner is about the same price as Enclave optioned equally. The Explorer is a little lower priced if in base form, but can be optioned nicely, but The Ford and Toyota doesnt have as a warranty as attractive as the Buick (Buick has a 50000 bumper-bumper and a 100000 powertrain warranty. Dodge Durango not an option, she dont like those and not wild about the cargo area window styling on the Traverse. I think the 4-Runner will hold its resell better, but she is not as wild about the styling. I have not shown her the Explorer, but I think she would like it. Sad part is you have to get the XLT or Limited model to get certain neat options like the "Driver connect" option.... which I think is neat. It seems more advanced than the Buick Enclave. I wonder though if the Enclave is more comfortable than the Explorer and this is a big point of what we decide. We will likely get a "base" model of which ever, but add options here and there and likely get the AWD model, but since we get little snow here if its worth getting the AWD, but would be nice to have if needed, but we made it through last winter just our only car that would even remotely go in the snow and its only FWD, but I know a AWD would hold its value better after a few years? Also only wanting cloth interior (she dont like leather, which is the standard interior in all of these, so thats not an issue). MPG is not much of an issue either. I know the Explorer is rated 17/25 however.

Btw, she is 55 and about 5' 1" tall... but needs this size vehicle for her needs.

We have not driven any of these yet, just wanting to get some ideas from some owners of these vehicles. Thanks in advance.

Buick Enclave CX? Toyota 4-Runner SR5? Ford Explorer (base)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM

455 posts, read 835,559 times
Lightbulb Love>*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
She loves the new Buick Enclave,
I've deleted all the extraneous factors in your post.

There's nothing wrong with the Enclave which I know of. If your mother loves the Enclave, then she will likely overlook any minor shortcomings compared to its competitors. You could force another vehicle on her based on some marginal quantitative quality, but I think in the back of her mind, she will always wonder "What if . . . ?"

Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,732,022 times
lol, thanks Olds. I like it myself. I think its just where the Explorer seems to be a little more advanced in features and the "inflatable" rear safety belts are very interesting. I think we will check them both out, drive and go from there, but I think the Enclave will be her choice in the end unless I can get some info here to change her mind, lol.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,918,052 times
Buick Enclaves are nice, but you really seem to be all over the board from Ford Explorer to Buick Enclave to Chevy Tahoe or even an...Escalade? Narrow down what you really want and go from there, just make a list of options that are necessary and find vehicles matching that criteria.

My fiancee and I have an Escalade and we like it. Big and fuel-thirsty but it IS comfortable and does have quite a bit of room even in the rear.

The Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse are twins, just depends which one you care for (Enclave is a bit more...higher-quality). Test drive and see what you think but is there any particular reason she doesn't like leather? All the Enclaves I've ever seen have leather, I suppose you can get cloth seats but you may have to order one.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 AM

2,698 posts, read 9,519,350 times
I HIGHLY recommend the Ford Flex. My father has one decked out with about every option they have (EcoBoost, leather, AWD, monitors in headrests, etc) and it's absolutely phenomenal.

Mike

Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
The new Explorer is well new, so it will have the latest and greatest. Of course, in base trim, most of that won't be on the car anyway. The GM Lambda SUV's which include the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse have been on the market since 2007 and have a great reliability track record and are very popular vehicles.

I would personally look at all four and see which one suits her best. You have to remember that the only differences between the GM triplets are interior design appointments, some exterior styling cues and available options. So, you may find that the much cheaper Chevy is a better option than the Buick or that the GMC strikes the sweet spot between the two.

In terms of AWD, it is entirely regionally dependent. Anyone of the four are going to perform well in normal snow conditions in FWD form. Obviously AWD provides a benefit, but that benefit will cost you a couple thousand at purchase and result in lower fuel economy. You need to decide if the cost is ultimately worth it to you. In terms of resale, again it is regionally dependent. An AWD will generally command slightly stronger resale value, but we are talking maybe $500 between two otherwise identical models.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,197,283 times
The boss' daughter drives a Saturn Outlook (the forgotten Lambda sibling); I don't recall her exact height, but she's not that tall either, and she's fine driving it. So your mom will most likely be fine in the Enclave.

Also, another nod to for you/mom to look into the Ford Flex ...
2011 Ford Flex

Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
We are looking for a new vehicle of the same type. My wife has always had a full sized conversoin van. She wants something easier to drive and park, four wheel drive, but still able to hold at least 7 passengers.

This is our opinion so far:

Traverse and its sisters are highly rated. They are almost the same as the Dodge Durango in every regard including price. Traverse is a little nicer in that it has more storage pockets and slightly better fit and finish. Both are somewhat chintzy feeling inside compared to the big fancy and expensive SUVs like Tahoe or Suburban. Both traverse and the Durango are pretty difficult to get onto the third row rear seat. In both cases, the salesman did not know and could not figure out how to get the second row set out of the way. We eventually figured it out.

Dodge has no incetnives right now and none on the horizon. GM has various incentives from time to time and they are always changing (plus we can buy GM on the employee plan becuase my dad retired from there).

Durango offers a 5.7 litre hemi (390 hp). Exciting to me, stupid to my wife. We have had several Chrysler vehicles between 1998 and 2005. All of them tend to fall apart a lot. they just were nto well made. Door handles just fall off, one brand new van, the transmission pan alsmot fell off becuase the bolts had not been tightened. Have they licked this problem? Older Chrysler cars were great. We had a 1988 van go close to 200,000 miles with almost no problems.

Dodge says Durangos do not roll over like they used to. Also says Chrysler is not going out of business. (He was not sure what happens to the warranty if they do).

Traverse and Durango both handle better and are easier to drive than the big SUVs. Easier to park too.

We looked at the Town & County, but it seems really cheapo on the inside, plus 4 wheel drive is not available.

Wife is not interested in foreign brands. Yes we hear the propaganda about them being made in the US, but many of our friends work in design, managment, marketing, financing, or corporate stuff at the big three. We know where the profit, and overhead portion of our car purchase goes, it goes to our friends, not to Japan or Korea (however we are currently sending money to Japan, so maybe we should not be adverse to sending them some as part of car purchase). Besides, the big three cars have a different feel to them inside, I cannot describe it, but they are defeinitely differnet. Clearly not designed by and for smaller people. In any event, it does not matter since wifey will not even think about anything but a big 3 vehicle.

All of them are insanely expensive. Tahoe and Suburban are super insanely expensive. I am not going to pay $50,000 to $60,000 for a car regardless of whether we can afford it.

We are leannig towards a slightly used Tahoe (if they have a thrid row of seats,) or a Suburban, but she has not driven one, and she did not like the one that she test drove in 2005 (it was a used one, so probably 2002-2004, I believe that they improved them in 2004). I think that they are fine, and will probably evnetually get an Avalanche (which is a suburban). She did nto like having the "big nose sticking out there" and found it hard to corner and to park. More so than a full size van.

The Ford Flex with the super or turbo charged engine got great reviews, but they are horridly ugly, they look like they cannot be very aerodynamic (but the fuel mileage is about the same) and they are being discontinued (probably because they are so ugly). They are also considerably more expensive for the same features/performance as a Traverse/Durango. We may go drive a Flex, but it is not a likely candidate.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,113,637 times
A petroleum savings account.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM

2,698 posts, read 9,519,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are looking for a new vehicle of the same type. My wife has always had a full sized conversoin van. She wants something easier to drive and park, four wheel drive, but still able to hold at least 7 passengers.

This is our opinion so far:

Traverse and its sisters are highly rated. They are almost the same as the Dodge Durango in every regard including price. Traverse is a little nicer in that it has more storage pockets and slightly better fit and finish. Both are somewhat chintzy feeling inside compared to the big fancy and expensive SUVs like Tahoe or Suburban. Both traverse and the Durango are pretty difficult to get onto the third row rear seat. In both cases, the salesman did not know and could not figure out how to get the second row set out of the way. We eventually figured it out.

Dodge has no incetnives right now and none on the horizon. GM has various incentives from time to time and they are always changing (plus we can buy GM on the employee plan becuase my dad retired from there).

Durango offers a 5.7 litre hemi (390 hp). Exciting to me, stupid to my wife. We have had several Chrysler vehicles between 1998 and 2005. All of them tend to fall apart a lot. they just were nto well made. Door handles just fall off, one brand new van, the transmission pan alsmot fell off becuase the bolts had not been tightened. Have they licked this problem? Older Chrysler cars were great. We had a 1988 van go close to 200,000 miles with almost no problems.

Dodge says Durangos do not roll over like they used to. Also says Chrysler is not going out of business. (He was not sure what happens to the warranty if they do).

Traverse and Durango both handle better and are easier to drive than the big SUVs. Easier to park too.

We looked at the Town & County, but it seems really cheapo on the inside, plus 4 wheel drive is not available.

Wife is not interested in foreign brands. Yes we hear the propaganda about them being made in the US, but many of our friends work in design, managment, marketing, financing, or corporate stuff at the big three. We know where the profit, and overhead portion of our car purchase goes, it goes to our friends, not to Japan or Korea (however we are currently sending money to Japan, so maybe we should not be adverse to sending them some as part of car purchase). Besides, the big three cars have a different feel to them inside, I cannot describe it, but they are defeinitely differnet. Clearly not designed by and for smaller people. In any event, it does not matter since wifey will not even think about anything but a big 3 vehicle.

All of them are insanely expensive. Tahoe and Suburban are super insanely expensive. I am not going to pay $50,000 to $60,000 for a car regardless of whether we can afford it.

We are leannig towards a slightly used Tahoe (if they have a thrid row of seats,) or a Suburban, but she has not driven one, and she did not like the one that she test drove in 2005 (it was a used one, so probably 2002-2004, I believe that they improved them in 2004). I think that they are fine, and will probably evnetually get an Avalanche (which is a suburban). She did nto like having the "big nose sticking out there" and found it hard to corner and to park. More so than a full size van.

The Ford Flex with the super or turbo charged engine got great reviews, but they are horridly ugly, they look like they cannot be very aerodynamic (but the fuel mileage is about the same) and they are being discontinued (probably because they are so ugly). They are also considerably more expensive for the same features/performance as a Traverse/Durango. We may go drive a Flex, but it is not a likely candidate.
Given your experiences with Chrysler products, I'm very surprised to hear you would give them another shot with that Durango. We, too, had horrible experiences with our late-90s Chrysler product and it left such a bad taste in our mouths that no one in my family will touch Chrysler with a 10-ft pole. It's a shame, too, because I REALLY like the looks of some of their new stuff, but from all I read it doesn't appear they've learned any lessons in relability.

Now, as to the Flex, obviously aesthetics are all up to personal taste. I like it because it does't look like all the other mid-size SUVs out there. Not that I consider any of them ugly, but basically every last one seems to try really hard to nail down that 'indistinct blob' look Lexus coined with the RX back in the day. As for their cancellation, you could argue that it had to do with aesthetics. However, you also have to look at the SUV line-up they would have if the Flex stayed. Escape, Explorer, Edge, Expedition, and Flex? Something just had to go. But as to mileage, it's actually quite good for a vehicle its size. And really, if you're seriously considering a Tahoe/Suburban or a V8 Durango, is mileage truly a concern?

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 03-17-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive