Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 30,562 times

Advertisements

Ok so, today I got a speeding ticket.

I was driving down I-10E, and just before it hits the 610 loop, I saw a cop down a curve. I was doing 91 but managed to slow down to 75.

Yes I messed up. As soon as I saw the cop with the laser, he saw me and quickly jumped in his car. Of course I followed and pulled up instantly.

Ok, enough of the "action". I'm 21 and as you can see I drive the speeding ticket "GETTER".

More seriously though, what are my options to solve this ? Last time I got a speeding ticket, I just payed it and several people have told me that THAT is definitely NOT the way to go. I did some research of course and I found out about Deferred Jurisdiction, and the famous Defensive Driving course, BUT I have a CDL, and even though I wasn't driving a truck, I know that if you have a CDL you cannot take a defensive driving course and expect for the court to make it valid. So that is why I'm asking what my options are...not because I'm lazy. So I really want to explore my choices.

Also, is there any way I can take offenses off my driving record ? I know this isn't the HPD website, but I saw a thread here on tickets and people really knew their stuff. I have a previous speeding ticket, but it was with company property and it happened in Navasota, Tx. So I would like to know.

Thanks for reading and for any help or comments you guys may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Sorry....I feel for you! Over in the Automotive section of CD, there was a thread about this. Lots of people with different opinions and advice. Not sure if it will be helpful to you or not. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Oh snap, so I put the message in the wrong section ? Or by CD you mean Car&Driver ? :P

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Well you will be getting a ton of letters from the various Lawyers that do the "cattle call" thing to try to reduce it or get you off the ticket.

I will confess to having used Sullo and Sullo twice. I paid them something like $75 and they reschedule your hearing for something like 6 months down the road. I think they try to schedule you for a day when the officer won't be there, I am really not sure. At any rate, both times I got out of the ticket, but it doesn't always work that way and you do have to spend what seems like an eternity down there is absolute boredom.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustanggt View Post
Oh snap, so I put the message in the wrong section ? Or by CD you mean Car&Driver ? :P
No...I meant City Data forum in the Auto section. It may be back a few weeks...

Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Well you will be getting a ton of letters from the various Lawyers that do the "cattle call" thing to try to reduce it or get you off the ticket.

I will confess to having used Sullo and Sullo twice. I paid them something like $75 and they reschedule your hearing for something like 6 months down the road. I think they try to schedule you for a day when the officer won't be there, I am really not sure. At any rate, both times I got out of the ticket, but it doesn't always work that way and you do have to spend what seems like an eternity down there is absolute boredom.

Thanks man, I guess I'll see in to sullo&sullo. That is the one you're talking about right ?

And ShelbyGirl I was kidding, I knew it was City-Data. Just wondering if I had put this in the wrong section.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:18 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustanggt View Post
Ok so, today I got a speeding ticket.

I was driving down I-10E, and just before it hits the 610 loop, I saw a cop down a curve. I was doing 91 but managed to slow down to 75.

Yes I messed up. As soon as I saw the cop with the laser, he saw me and quickly jumped in his car. Of course I followed and pulled up instantly.

Ok, enough of the "action". I'm 21 and as you can see I drive the speeding ticket "GETTER".

More seriously though, what are my options to solve this ? Last time I got a speeding ticket, I just payed it and several people have told me that THAT is definitely NOT the way to go. I did some research of course and I found out about Deferred Jurisdiction, and the famous Defensive Driving course, BUT I have a CDL, and even though I wasn't driving a truck, I know that if you have a CDL you cannot take a defensive driving course and expect for the court to make it valid. So that is why I'm asking what my options are...not because I'm lazy. So I really want to explore my choices.

Also, is there any way I can take offenses off my driving record ? I know this isn't the HPD website, but I saw a thread here on tickets and people really knew their stuff. I have a previous speeding ticket, but it was with company property and it happened in Navasota, Tx. So I would like to know.

Also I know it varies from state to state, but if anybody knows what's the deal here in Houston, TX it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and for any help or comments you guys may have.
Typically you cannot have offenses removed or expunged from your record. You could fight the ticket in court and ask for a postponement of the hearing... cops usually won't show up to postponed hearings for speeding tickets, but then it depends on the cop and the area. You could appeal for a lesser ticket, too.

You did break the law, though, so you should receive some sort of punishment.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Dude, seriously...you shouldn't be driving 91 mph. Period.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,564 times
I have a CDL also, and have for 10 years and as a driver, one thing you should never do is to pay a speeding ticket or any other type of moving violation because that will put you as guilty in the courts. Plus, when trucking companies look at your MVR, and they will, if you have too many violations on your record they won't even bother with you.

Plus, whatever tickets you get will affect you whether you are driving truck or personal vehicle, so thats why its all more important to protect that CDL. It takes very little to get it suspended.

I would go for a attorney that specializes in trucker/CDL based problems when it comes to getting a citation. I signed on with the Drivers Legal Plan at my company for about $3 weekly and if anything happens where I get a ticket, whether in my personal vehicle or big rig, I can call in and have them work on it, and all that it will cost me is $100 if they have to go to court. I know I signed on the day I was hired so that I can keep my CDL safe.

So yea, don't pay any ticket if you get one, get someone who deals with transportation and fight it. Most times they can get it knocked to a non-moving violation or have it dismissed altogether. Protect that CDL!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
You're speeding ferociously, endangering MY life and everyone else's, least of all yours, and you want OUR HELP???
True this, why were you going that fast anyway? Thank goodness you weren't driving a semi at that speed (though most trucks are governed at 65-70 anyway so no chance of overspeeding).

No wonder insurance rates are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive