U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM

16 posts, read 70,871 times

Advertisements

I apologize for the long post but I desperately need help...

So I purchased a 1999 Mercury Mystique in Spring 2009. In January 2010 I got the timing belt repaired with new pulleys and an engine cover and valve cover; later in 2010 I got the fuel filter, throttle position sensor, switch, and clamp repaired; a month later, the exhaust camshaft, and cam sprokets; and then in the fall I repaired the tensioner belt, water pump, serpentine belt tensioner, idler pulley, and I also got new anti freeze, a coolant flush with sealer and conditioner, a pcv valve hose, suppresor spark plug, tuned the electronic ignition, another fuel filter, and a fuel system tune up. After all of that I went to get a simple oil change and was told that the car had a massive oil leak. I got the oil leak fixed, the camshaft sensor, camshaft seal, timing belt repaired (because it had oil all over it) and another valve cover gasket.

After picking the car up, I was almost at my destination when I noticed smoke from the back. It sputtered smoke about 3 times and was hard to accelerate. After letting it sit, it was fine, but then more smoke. Not a continuous smoke but like puffs. It seems to come from underneath the car, not the tailpipe and only when I've driven it a while and when I accelerate. THe smoke smells a bit like burnt rubber, maybe plastic. A week ago I was driving and all of a sudden its hard to accelerate and I see the smoke. I pulled over and let it sit and tried to drive home when a huge trail of smoke comes from behind the car and its making a ticking or pecking sound. The check engine light comes on, the oil light, and battery light comes on and then it just won't move. It had enough power to move to the side of the road. It starts and everything but what could the problem be? I feel like a fool for putting so much money into this car. I've ttried to find out what the problem is by researchig but I'm lost. Any ideas or advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
When it first smoked on the way home I would have taken it back to where the repairs were done. Sounds like a blown seal has caused oil to leak out onto the exhaust system, causing the initial smoke. As the oil leaked more, and became low, you lost top end lubrication. That's the ticking sound. Running that way causes additional problems such as cracked piston rings, spun crankshaft or connecting rod bearings. I would tow it, and not try to drive again. What's showing on the oil dipstick?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,732,022 times
I would take the car back (even if had to tow) and demand it be checked and repaired properly!!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Possibly, your catalytic converter broke apart, and particles of it are blocking your exhaust, which would cause acceleration problems. If so, your exhaust system might be overheating, resulting in smoking and the burning of the rubber fittings in the exhaust pipe hangers.

When your exhaust is blocked, it'll keep on starting, as the pressure in the pipes dissipates, but as soon as exhaust pressure starts to bulld up again, it will cut out. But before it gets too bad, it will just retard the acceleration and reduce your maximum speed.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Possibly, your catalytic converter broke apart, and particles of it are blocking your exhaust, which would cause acceleration problems. If so, your exhaust system might be overheating, resulting in smoking and the burning of the rubber fittings in the exhaust pipe hangers.

When your exhaust is blocked, it'll keep on starting, as the pressure in the pipes dissipates, but as soon as exhaust pressure starts to bulld up again, it will cut out. But before it gets too bad, it will just retard the acceleration and reduce your maximum speed.
Very good theory!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM

83 posts, read 278,597 times
white smoke = coolant
blue smoke = oil

you could just have a blown head gasket. take 'er to the shop!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
white smoke = coolant
blue smoke = oil

you could just have a blown head gasket. take 'er to the shop!
I agree!

also:

black smoke - fuel system

or something like someone else said, something getting hot underneath and burning... be careful, would not want your car turning into a fireball.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 AM

9,596 posts, read 17,698,995 times
Sounds like you bought a money pit. Have the car towed back to the shop & get it checked out. Sometimes after i have driven my 26 y/o car for a lil bit it omits a burning smell. It has been doing it for yrs.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 70,871 times
Thanks everyone! I'll get it towed back to the car shop as soon as possible. Hopefully all goes well...

Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Yes and good luck, let us know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive