U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 01:52 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,137,491 times

Advertisements

Presented without comment to discuss the right to choose the form of mobility to be used.

" In his In Defence of Jaywalking Tom covers the new hype about these foolish souls who dare to inconvienence motorists by crossing streets where they're 'not supposed to' are under fire.

Which brings us to the question. Is Urban Mobility a basic human right? Do we not have the right to move about the urban landscape as we see fit? It has been so for most of human history, after all."

Copenhagenize.com - Building Better Bicycle Cultures: Is Urban Mobility A Human Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,880,748 times
No. It's not.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,578,274 times
You have better forums, even inside City Data, for your agenda, TW. Go there. Posting here is NOT doing your cause any favors, unless you are secretly a car fanatic that's trying to get other car enthusiasts pissed off at militant cyclists...

Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,973,784 times
The right to jaywalk? This is the dumbest thing I've read about since the last thread you opened here in the Automotive forum on bicycles.....

Not for nothing what does jaywalking have to do with auto's????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ng-street.html (80 year old killed crossing street)

http://www.ehow.com/list_7485363_dri...crossings.html

If some jerk wants to cross where-ever they feel like fine, there is always room in the hospitals or six feet under...... AND the gene pool will be all the better........

Better yet, people like you should cross a highway that way there will be no doubt about where you will wind up

Why this person wants to turn America into another EU country is beyond me.

Hey clueless one, post in forums that care about this like maybe:

~ Health and Wellness?

~ Green Living?

~ Exercise and Fitness?

~ Hobbies and Recreation?

~ Sports?

~ Frugal Living?

Agree, lets make a free-for-all no-rules on all streets and highways, in about a year we won't have to worry about bicyclists anymore... and the genius's who decide to cross the streets where-ever they feel like will go the way of the dodo bird, extinct.......

Last edited by plwhit; 03-20-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM

9,621 posts, read 12,891,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Which brings us to the question. Is Urban Mobility a basic human right? Do we not have the right to move about the urban landscape as we see fit? It has been so for most of human history, after all."
If you stepped in front of a galloping horse in the year 1630, you would have gotten crushed by the creature and likely maimed or killed.

If you step in front of a moving car today, you will likely be maimed or killed.

In any case, urban mobility most certainly is a basic human right. I walk all over San Francisco every day. I make sure not to step in the path of things that are 20x my weight moving at speed without ample distance, and it prevents me from being maimed and killed. This allows me to look at cherry blossoms, spot hummingbirds, ponder the shape of clouds, and other nice things that go along with living in a major Californian coastal city.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,673,487 times
People belong on the sidewalks/crosswalks. Only vehicles that can keep up with the flow of traffic and obey all traffic laws belong on the street.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,389,176 times
I'll jaywalk. It's not like drivers pay attention to cross-walks anyway. Besides, no one has ever been killed getting hit by a flashing cross-walk sign - it's the car that kills you. Look out for cars when you cross the street and you'll be alright. I don't see how that "inconveniences motorists" though, except for punks who like to take their sweet time as if to dare you to hit them.

I have a right to cross the street and you have the right to drive on it at the speed limit. I'll just kindly stay out your way.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,973,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I'll jaywalk. It's not like drivers pay attention to cross-walks anyway. Besides, no one has ever been killed getting hit by a flashing cross-walk sign - it's the car that kills you. Look out for cars when you cross the street and you'll be alright. I don't see how that "inconveniences motorists" though, except for punks who like to take their sweet time as if to dare you to hit them.

I have a right to cross the street and you have the right to drive on it at the speed limit. I'll just kindly stay out your way.

So you advocate breaking the law, another arrogant elitist......

You legally have the right to cross a street at certain places and at certain times, cross anywhere else and it's called jaywalking and you could be cited......

Jaywalking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive