U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,471,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
It’s not a Truck it’s a pickup.

Attachment 197912
Wrong.

I wish people would stop posting stupid stuff like that. Theyre BOTH trucks. One is a pickup TRUCK, the other is a semi TRUCK. Or technically a tractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:15 AM

999 posts, read 1,325,527 times
I want to use my truck as a truck so my pet peeve are when they are lowered.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM

66 posts, read 15,431 times
When lifting a truck you need to decide what you are going to do with it. When the time came i lifted my Tacoma 2.5 inches to run a 32 inch tire. My goal was to build a nice overland style truck that I could go out an play in. Going any higher would have made the truck unstable offroad and I would lose the articulation in the suspension as the tires would hit the body.

Trucks like the one shown in post #5 look good but are basically useless at doing anything but getting your attention. If you look under that truck you will see all the drop brackets needed for the suspension. You don't have any more clearance than you would have with a modest 3 or 4 inch lift.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 PM

7 posts, read 1,074 times
Ruined...no. The lifted trucks with tiny tires (relatively speaking) do look a little funny but thats what they like so more power to them.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 PM

2,934 posts, read 1,434,817 times
I have a strong bias for 4 wheeling. I can't recall seeing very many raised trucks on Jeep trails. Sometimes they like to wallow in streams with their 44" tires which creates very serious hazards for other drivers for a long time. Not to mention what it does to the ecosystem.

It almost ruins them for serious towing as well. So it would seem to be something done for looks. Though they may often be used for mudding in flatter states.

Its going to ruin some days when their bumper hits someones head in an accident. That alone gives me plenty of reason to avoid it.

I generally see it as "boys and their toys". Boys do ridiculous things all the time.

Another subject....big wheels and small tires? That is just crazy on a truck unless you like flying around the shopping mall instead of being off road. Small wheels and big tires are the ticket to serious off road traction.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 05-10-2018 at 06:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 PM

2,598 posts, read 2,286,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If these vehicles are so perfect then why is there such a huge aftermarket of components to make ones vehicle better?
Just because many believe that aftermarket components will make their vehicles "better" doesn't necessarily make it true.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:20 PM

16,496 posts, read 17,539,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I personally feel like every truck out there needs a bit of a lift. Look at the new Tundra. Great truck, tons of power, nice looking body then they sit it on tiny little wheels and tires. Ironically the optional tires that come on the TRD package are the same size that came stock on my Tacoma back in 2000 and look silly on a full sized. Same goes for a domestics and don't get me started on Jeep.

I think adding a REASONABLE life is almost mandatory if you want to get the full use out of a truck.
I can fit 305/70/16 on my super duty and have good clearance. That’s a pretty big tire. And I didnt have to lift the truck to do it. Gas miles sucked. I went back to 265/75/16
My gmc is gonna get lowered. It’s a 1/2 Tom two wheel drive. It won’t tow anything or go off road. I have better trucks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive