U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,365,010 times

Advertisements

ddoge make the power wagon Ram 1500 it is the rock crawler king of the hill for new factory un-mooded 4x4's while the raptro is the baja race truck of off raod 4x4ing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux32aMUR_0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DPkGSOK7M
both trucks do diffrent types of wheeling but both are awsome and fun toys
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgCHbco9Bko
this is pretty darn badass though

Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM

854 posts, read 2,484,078 times

Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,037,775 times
I have owned both lowered and lifted trucks. It depends on the use of it more to me than the looks of it. That said, The 67 GMC I lowered was more for looks! Of course the mud runner 74 Ford Highboy was for getting thru the Meremac river and mud pits! I didn't care how it looked.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 AM

9,745 posts, read 13,674,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
And mine is worth more than it woudl be stock. it's also better taken care of than most stock ones. Adult enthusiast owners of cars tend to take better care of them than clueless peopel that bought them due to the badge.
Yours may not necessarily be worth more than a stock one that's been well maintained. It would probably be worth more to another car enthusiast who happens to share your taste in mods. Of course, the modifications you've done are more universally appealing than most, so I don't doubt you'd have little trouble getting what you want for it. However, many modified cars have far more taste-specific mods that only a select few may care for, which would make them harder to sell. How many people would want your car if it was lime green, no matter the quality of the paint job?

Quote:
the point is, all mass produced cars are compromises from the factory so what to you is "better" because the factory did it is, to people like me WORSE because it was commitee-ized crap that often wasn't what the original designers and engineers wanted anyhow. Even cars like the 7 were cost-cut and penny pinched and hit by regulations that meant they couldn't be what they were capable of being.
True, but the factory engineers usually know how to make the cars more universally appealing. Sure, a car enthusiast may not mind a little reduced ride quality for improved handling, or a little extra noise for slightly more power, but the average car buyer likely won't put up with either. Especially when the factory car is already a pretty good handler with adequate power. Not to mention all the little things that many modders don't think about that the factory engineers spent hours scrutinizing.

Quote:
As an example, mine is more like the later Sport models which WERE factory. What would make mine bad but the factory identical "modifications" good, when the engineering is the same (seriously, spring and shock technology isn't that hard that an OEM factory is the only one that can get it right. An example is the fact that so many car companies are now using the aftermarket suppliers for their new performance cars, with brakes by Brembo, shocks by Bilstein, springs by Eibach, the same manufacturers we use to modify our cars, with the same engineering.)
Yes, and the car companies are good at matching specific parts to specific cars. So are some tuners, but a lot of people aren't nearly as successful at it.

Quote:
99% of the time, by the time those owners got the cars, they were no longer good cars anyhow. Usually those are owned by people who bought them cheap becaue they were already mostly worn out. hell, even MY car was in that category, as it had 143k miles on it with no records of how it had been treated before I got it:

Please don't start with the mentality that if you can't do it, and a few poor people you see can't do it, that modding a car ONLY makes it worse. It's massively insulting to those of us (and there are hundreds of thousands of us, if not more) that are quite succesful at it.
I'm fully aware that some people are capable of modding a car without destroying it. The problem is, a used car buyer may not be able to tell if a car has been properly modified or not, so why risk it? If a seller claims to have rebuilt the engine to handle the turbo he also installed, how do I know he assembled everything correctly or chose the right parts to handle it? Can the rest of the drive train handle the increased power? And everything's working fine now, but how about it 50,000 more miles? There are too many possibilities for error for my taste.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,230,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.
it is about utility, not class. if you plan on getting through the swamp you need good ground clearance.

if lifts didn't matter, then you would see nissan maximas out there.

Last edited by le roi; 03-22-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM

12,914 posts, read 18,480,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
I like mild lifts (not more than about 4 inches). Most trucks just look better to me that way. The over-the-top lifts (especially on blocks) do look retarded, like the driver is trying to compensate for his lack of manliness (especially when they add "truck testicles" with it).

WTF do people do that?!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM

861 posts, read 2,297,799 times
To me it really depends on How high the truck sits and what it's going to be used for. If the owner is going to be daily driving it and the worst offroad it will ever see is a curb at the mall then lifting doesn't make much sense. On the other hand someone that uses his truck off road or on construction sites can generally benefit for a mild 3 or 4 inch lift.

Anything higher than that is not really practical or useful. I had a nice lifted F350 many years ago. It was a mild 4 inches so I could fit 35 inch times. I drove that truck daily and with the exception of terriable gas mileage it was a great truck with no negative effects.

My buddy at the time had basically the same truck but his was an 8 inch lift with 40 inch tires and it was a nightmare all the time. COnstantly wearing out front end parts, breaking hubs etc. I drove the truck a few times and always felt unsafe in it. It was very top heavy and tippy.

I would generally say that a mild lift does improve the looks of a truck. What I don't understand is lowing a truck. Just seems to me that you're losing all the utility and benefit of owning a truck.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,230,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
But a truck with 31" tires just will not go anywhere unless it is paved and suitable for cars.

it depends on the size of the rest of the truck. 31" tires would increase your ground clearance more substantially on a suzuki samurai than an F-350.... especially if you are on an uneven surface.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
To me it really depends on How high the truck sits and what it's going to be used for. If the owner is going to be daily driving it and the worst offroad it will ever see is a curb at the mall then lifting doesn't make much sense. On the other hand someone that uses his truck off road or on construction sites can generally benefit for a mild 3 or 4 inch lift.

Anything higher than that is not really practical or useful. I had a nice lifted F350 many years ago. It was a mild 4 inches so I could fit 35 inch times. I drove that truck daily and with the exception of terriable gas mileage it was a great truck with no negative effects.

My buddy at the time had basically the same truck but his was an 8 inch lift with 40 inch tires and it was a nightmare all the time. COnstantly wearing out front end parts, breaking hubs etc. I drove the truck a few times and always felt unsafe in it. It was very top heavy and tippy.

I would generally say that a mild lift does improve the looks of a truck. What I don't understand is lowing a truck. Just seems to me that you're losing all the utility and benefit of owning a truck.
really I have a 91 F250 with a 6" lift which is from what I learned is needed to run 35" tires without having the tire tread from rubbing on the springs. when make a hard lock to lock turn.
heres a pic of my truck and my daily driver aka the gas guzzler

it has 6" lift and runs 35" tires with some serious suspension upgrades and with a 4.11 locker in the rear it is pretty good just in 2WD off road. but in 4-Low it is like a 2MPH tank that will climb anything in it's path. the front bumper of my truck is how a 4x4 should be set up IMO for deep woods wheeling with no low over hangs plus it is a standard cab short box F250 it is kinda rare to have been optioned that way but it just a bit longer than a full size bronco which is ideal for off-road.

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-22-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive