U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,289,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I think LOWERING a truck is ridiculous. If you wanted it lower, you should have bought a car.
Not necessarily...some trucks such as mini trucks which are NOT 4WD, and that don't carry heavy loads, I think benefit more from a lowering...I'm not talking a slammed on the ground lowered, but a nice 2/3 drop from stock stance. Also some 2WD full size trucks look ok lowered, but I think mini trucks look the best lowered.

Also some mini trucks are used as race vehicles and probably do better lowered than lifted. You're lowering the center of gravity, truck hugs the road better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
It depends... but for the most part no. Most modifications that people do to their vehicles go unseen and unnoticed until it is made known by the owner. This thread is about trucks. I am strictly speaking about the "trailer queen" trucks you see everywhere where their only purpose is to get noticed not to go off road or anything else.
Well I suppose we could also add in there people who restore classic cars that will pay $1000 for an NOS radiator cap...stupid to everyone except the guy building his car into a trailer queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My main gripe is that if your truck is lifted way high off the ground and you hit a normal car, the people in that car are in for it.
I agree here, and I'm almost positive it's against the law to have your bumpers a certain height. There's a lifted 2500 Dodge Ram that parks outside my work, I don't know who it belongs to but his bumper comes up with the passenger's head on most any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Nope, trucks look bad a$$ when lifted a bit.

Before

Winning!
Now I agree with this....notice the truck went from looking like a stock boring truck to something with some guts to it, without looking like a strong wind could tip it over. IMO that truck is done right, maybe if you wanted to go a little bigger on the tire that would be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The two vehicles on this page, don't even phase me as I wouldn't even notice them. I mean that as a compliment, they just look like what a 4x4 should look like to me.

Here is my idea of could possibly be considered "ruined:"

Yep, but while I don't own one of these, i do admit these trucks "look" cool but that's it...looks....they're probably useless for any real off roading due to the high center of gravity....but nevertheless they are good for taking to a car show to get your rocks off to....just can't use them. You gotta remember folks not everyone who builds a car builds it to be used...again some people restoring old cars spend stupid money...like $200 on a bunch of N.O.S. screws...and the car they'll go on will be not driven...some think "how can someone pay silly money for something like that?"......might be stupid to the average Joe but not to someone who wants nothing short of original parts on his trailer queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
This is what I love about America

Something for everyone, what I do get a chuckle out of
is the high lifters then notice the pumpkin has only 2"
of ground clearance
Sounds like the use of a body lift and still tiny tires...for looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The over-the-top lifts (especially on blocks) do look retarded, like the driver is trying to compensate for his lack of manliness (especially when they add "truck testicles" with it). WTF do people do that?!!!
Good question. I think people that have a pair of nads hanging from their rear are not thinking. Really. That's NOT cool. Some people do take offense to it. I don't I just think it makes the owner look like an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
To me it really depends on How high the truck sits and what it's going to be used for. If the owner is going to be daily driving it and the worst offroad it will ever see is a curb at the mall then lifting doesn't make much sense. On the other hand someone that uses his truck off road or on construction sites can generally benefit for a mild 3 or 4 inch lift.

I would generally say that a mild lift does improve the looks of a truck. What I don't understand is lowing a truck. Just seems to me that you're losing all the utility and benefit of owning a truck.
In my situation, I have a 4X4 S-10 that isn't the beloved ZR2 style. It's bone stock height. I personally want to lift it and add some bigger meats. I'm thinking the same thing....a 4 inch lift. But my reason for wanting to lift it is so I can take it off roading. True an S-10 was never considered as a hard core off road rig, but my main goal is to be able to get thru 2 feet of snow if I needed to.

As for why lowering, I posted my response above...but to share my story I had 2 other 2WD S-10's, I lowered both. It made them look better plus handle better. On top of that I never used them to haul any serious heavy loads such as hauling a bed full of gravel or something to that effect. I used one of them to haul a long block engine home once. It did the job, despite the rear squatted a little. The other one had a V8 in it and I used to race it at the strip. The lowering probably helped with traction some since it had a lower center of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Increased ground clearance for what....the parking lot in the mall or the freeway?
Increased ground clearance for off roading...so you don't drive over a snow bank, rock, etc. and get hung up...like a guy at my work did with his Jeep Wrangler when he tried to drive over a mount of piled up snow.

One thing I don't like about a lifted truck is when you lift it so high it makes it more difficult to put things in the bed. i.e. you have to get up in the bed to get stuff out. Like trying to haul a fridge home from Sears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I find the standard 12.50-inch section width . Although tough to fit within the fender wells, the wider tread really makes a big difference in off-road traction. Not only is floatation increased over mud but there is also some brands a stickier rubber compound used and more biting edges that claw at the terrain. When it comes to the wide versus narrow tires debate, the same theory that applies to bulldozers and snowmobiles applies to a 4x4.

A tire with stiff sidewalls will inherently deliver a rougher ride. At highway inflation, high-speed dirt road travel they remain comfortable. However, by releasing excess pressure for rough trails the ride quality can be improved without excessively degrading handling. Bombing through deep ruts or muddy terrian, four-wheel drifting around corners and full-throttle blasts across piles of loose, sharp rocks is a blast
These two statements I do not really agree with. First, in my 4-wheeling applications on rocky or muddy trails, I don't want flotation--I want the tires to have a small enough "footprint" with higher weight per square inch to gain traction. I always laugh when I'm up in the hills and see guys with wide tires slipping all over the place because their tires are floating on the slippery mud on the surface. I leave them behind. A 4WD is not a snowmobile.

In the second paragraph, what I disagree with is "high-speed" and "full throttle" comments. That is the exact opposite of "elegant" driving that organizations like "Tread Lightly" ( Tread Lightly - Home ) promote to prevent terrain and road damage on backcountry trails. Quite bluntly, it is the "gonzo" 4-wheeler types and the damage they do that has gotten a lot formerly open trails on our public lands closed to vehicle use. That really p***es me off and I will turn those gonzo morons in to the National Forest or BLM folks for prosecution when I see that kind of bull**** behavior out on the trail. On most backcountry trails, my engine RPM's seldom exceed 1,500 and a lot of the time are not much above idle. And I consider wheelslip a sign of lack of good 4-wheeling technique.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,104,729 times
People that lift 4x2 trucks make baby Jesus cry.

There is something nice about riding in a lifted truck. Just being above everyone else feels great.

But if it's more than 7', it won't fit in a garage or parking garage......big PITA and not worth it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
These two statements I do not really agree with. First, in my 4-wheeling applications on rocky or muddy trails, I don't want flotation--I want the tires to have a small enough "footprint" with higher weight per square inch to gain traction. I always laugh when I'm up in the hills and see guys with wide tires slipping all over the place because their tires are floating on the slippery mud on the surface. I leave them behind. A 4WD is not a snowmobile.

In the second paragraph, what I disagree with is "high-speed" and "full throttle" comments. That is the exact opposite of "elegant" driving that organizations like "Tread Lightly" ( Tread Lightly - Home ) promote to prevent terrain and road damage on backcountry trails. Quite bluntly, it is the "gonzo" 4-wheeler types and the damage they do that has gotten a lot formerly open trails on our public lands closed to vehicle use. That really p***es me off and I will turn those gonzo morons in to the National Forest or BLM folks for prosecution when I see that kind of bull**** behavior out on the trail. On most backcountry trails, my engine RPM's seldom exceed 1,500 and a lot of the time are not much above idle. And I consider wheelslip a sign of lack of good 4-wheeling technique.
I agree with tread lightly in wooded areas and off gravel roads but on old logging roads it can be fun

Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM

2,897 posts, read 7,858,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
I don't if they have big tires (35"-40" tires) but I do if they have super large tires, I don't like the raised trucks with small tires at all, I think the raised trucks look better on the Ford and GM pickups than I do with the Toyota/Nissan pickups

Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
Sometimes you need ground clearance and good traction:

BTW, the Michelin XL's my Mog is running here are fitted with Staun internal bead locks which permit tire pressure at zero to make a nice soft squishy tread. Here the pressure is not down all that far, but on rocks, zero is a real good pressure.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
Sometimes neither will help. Here is a guy I had to extract from a bad spot at Haspin Acres in southern Indiana.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 AM

568 posts, read 1,827,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I lowered a number of hot rod trucks and minitrucks. I've also built hot rod cars and sports cars. When I built the trucks, if I WANTED a car, I'd have built one. Is being closedminded that much of a valuable goal to you?

Funny that my lowered trucks could do just as much truck stuff as they did before they were lowered... And much more than any of my cars (ever try to carry an ATV in the back of an MGB? Not fun)
Amen! I've never owned a fullsize truck or SUV that I haven't lowered and every single one of them was/is still able to be used as a truck and can haul or tow just as much as when it was stock. They ride and handle better than stock and it's a lot easier to put a heavy load in when the load height is so low.

Yes, there are hack jobs out there that have been lowered incorrectly to the point of losing all function and usefulness, but the same can be said about lifted trucks too.

That's what's great about this country and our freedom to express ourselves with our vehicles. Some people like them lifted, others like them lowered. I've never owned a lifted truck, but wouldn't mind one someday. My tastes skew to less ground clearance, though, so that's where I tend to stay, but there are plenty of nice, lifted trucks that I think are just as awesome as cool dropped trucks.

As long as the vehicle is built to the taste of the owner and they are perfectly happy with it, why should anyone else really give a crap?

Blatantly coming out and saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus
I think LOWERING a truck is ridiculous. If you wanted it lower, you should have bought a car.
...is pretty retarded. With a user name of Geneyus (genius), that's one of the most ironically ignorant posts in this thread.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,142,640 times
As long as nobody asks me to pay for what they do to their vehicles then I don't really care. I'll leave my F250 just like it came from the dealer. (much easier to sell down the road)

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As long as nobody asks me to pay for what they do to their vehicles then I don't really care. I'll leave my F250 just like it came from the dealer. (much easier to sell down the road)
Actually, I've found that with common vehicles, completely stock ones are harder to sell down the road as there is MUCH more competition in the market. You can't get top dollar as there are always a few more available at the same time for less money and if you aren't almost giving it away, prospective buyers will simply move on to someone who is, 'cause there's always another one just like it for less money somewhere else.

Modded vehicles may have a smaller pool of potential buyers, but there is also much less competetion for the same buyers. My modded cars have sold much quicker, and for a greater percentage of what they cost me(and often turning a profit) vs stock examples. You only have to sell them to one person anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive