Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM

124 posts, read 164,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
First of all, I don't really care what you do with your truck. Your truck, your money, your business.

That said, putting lifts and huge wheels/tires under trucks tends to be counter-productive and - in some cases - downright stupid.

1. Do you really want to raise your center of gravity by 12"-18"? Especially if you're going to be going off-road with the vehicle? Think about it.

2. Fuel Economy almost always declines - markedly - when trucks are lifted. At $3.50+ per gallon for gas, do you really want to drop from 12 mpg to 8 mpg?

3. Most guys are kidding themselves about traction. Massive wide tires typically do NOT get better traction. In fact, in a lot of conditions, those monster tires actually get far worse traction.

Obviously, I've never "lifted" one of my trucks, and I never will. I think it's dumb. However, you can do whatever you want to do to yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
Nope, trucks look bad a$$ when lifted a bit.

Before

Winning!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,668,750 times
Personally, I feel that most vehicles, trucks or not, are ruined when someone modifies them at all, unless it's done so well that it looks and functions like it came that way from the factory.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
I like modifications that tend to have function first, followed by far. I am to the understanding that a lot of the glitzy lifted trucks I see around here are done the "show" way and don't really have significant off road improvement and most likely won't see much dirt anyway.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
. . . .

3. Most guys are kidding themselves about traction. Massive wide tires typically do NOT get better traction. In fact, in a lot of conditions, those monster tires actually get far worse traction.

Obviously, I've never "lifted" one of my trucks, and I never will. I think it's dumb. However, you can do whatever you want to do to yours!
Really it should only be about tire diameter. Larger diameter tires are significantly better in snow, mud dirt and over rocks. Width is usually a negative in those areas (there is a lot of dispute about this among the off road crowd) because the wider tire puts less force to the ground.

Lifting the truck permits "taller" tires.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
My main gripe is that if your truck is lifted way high off the ground and you hit a normal car, the people in that car are in for it.

Lifted pickups don't scream "low class" to me, they scream "middle class who lives a bit further out than suburbia." Lifting a pickup is expensive, and generally the people who do it are truck enthusiasts who plan to offroad. Granted... when I lived in LA during the credit boom, I saw a lot of brand-new Chevys and GMC's that were lifted like 4-6 feet off the ground and the track had been widened, oh, a foot. That's not an off-roading vehicle, that's a show car. But when I drive outside the city and see lifted pickups, they're usually driven by younger dudes who like to go out and hit the mud once in awhile. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Nope, trucks look bad a$$ when lifted a bit.

Before

Winning!
That much is true. When I worked for Chevy, I remember looking at fresh-off-the-truck Silverado 2500HD 4x4's with a Duramax and Allison, and thinking to myself that it didn't look "tough" because it was sitting on stock, skinny tires, which was ironic since it was literally the toughest truck this side of a TopKick in Chevy's lineup. Granted, that's not what everyone wants, but... my liberal vegetarian Honda-driving self would immediately go out and get some fatter tires on it, which would require a lift of a few inches.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Here is my "lifted" truck and I think it looks great:

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
The two vehicles on this page, don't even phase me as I wouldn't even notice them. I mean that as a compliment, they just look like what a 4x4 should look like to me.

Here is my idea of could possibly be considered "ruined:"

http://fordtruckpicgall.co.cc/pictures/car/images/17/0705tr_02_zlifted_truck_basicslifted_ford.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Personally, I feel that most vehicles, trucks or not, are ruined when someone modifies them at all, unless it's done so well that it looks and functions like it came that way from the factory.

Mass produced machines can't be "ruined" by personalization. And if the factory made it best, then they could never improve on them either, and yet they do every year.

Mass produced cars/trucks are compromises of regulatory needs, manufacturing cost needs, and what the market will bear at the time. In most cases, they are merely starting points.

I know my own BMW 740iL is nto "ruined" by the lowering and custom wheels/tires. Or the small lip spoiler on the rear, custom exhaust etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive