Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: I removed a deleted reference post from this post. Did not want to delete the comments of this post as they add to the discussion.

And your thinking is flawed.

Your big wide tires may let you float but they do not offer you better traction and wide tires are only good for floating over soft terrain. They are not better for 99% of trail riding

Your truck only weights so much and wide tires means you have less ground pressure per square inch, this= less traction.

Logic and experience tells me this it true.

bring those wide tires out in the snow and you will get stuck try to go up a little hill . The guy with narrow tires will go right up it.
the narrow tires will cut threw the snow to the ground where the traction is.

I have used both wide and narrow tires and narrow tires work better in the real world and you get better fuel mileage and you have more control on the highway. Wide tires easily hydroplane.

I have lifted a few trucks and jeeps but only 3-6in anything more usually does not add to the vehicles off road capabilities.

12in+ lifts with 44in+ tires are just for the ego. I've run circles around thoes rigs with my jeep and 32in tires.

I guess if you think running back and forth threw a mud hole is 4 wheeling then go ahead jack it way up over 12" and run the digest tires you can find.

That truck will falter and have some big problems on the read 4X4 trails.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 07-21-2012 at 03:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
no i dont think trucks are ruined when they are raised, to a point. with a 4x4, and nice three inch lift allows larger tires, and still give a reasonable ride on the street. what i object to is trucks that are lifted high enough that you need to make a force jump to get into the damn things.

of course it also depends on HOW the truck is raised as well. if you use lift blocks to get altitude, that is dangerous and low class. a proper lift kit on the other hand is not so bad.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
Well, look at the early through mid-90's f-series; an f-350 towers above an f-150, is the person who buys the f-350 low class? Of course not, so I do not get where class has to do with how high a truck sits.

So, you need to define exactly what "raised" means, as out of the factory they are different heights depending on the model.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,731 times
No, I think they are ruined when they are dropped. A truck is made to be used. I don't buy museum pieces! All my vehicles are expected to provide a hard day's work, regardless of vintage.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 AM

662 posts, read 1,228,257 times
Lifting a 4x4 truck a few inches to put a little bit larger tires underneath doesn't ruin it at all. A little bit more ground clearance can help if you drive in snow or off road. The manufacturers even do this to some extent with the factory-offered "off road" packages as compared to an otherwise standard 4x4 truck. If the average Joe can't easily tell the difference between your lifted truck and a stock truck, you've probably done it right. You can ruin a truck if you really Bubba it up by lifting it a foot and stuffing 44s underneath or do some ill-advised lifting method like the infamous wood block body lift, but many who lift a truck don't do that.

Lowering a truck is much more likely to ruin it than lifting it. Lowering a long-wheelbase vehicle like a truck is a good recipe for high centering and scraping. Those lowered trucks a few pages back are guaranteed to scrape curbs and even bumps in the road like crazy. Maybe dropping a 4x4 an inch or two to match the stock ride height of a 2wd would be fine, but if you buy a 4x4 why do you want to reduce ground clearance and probably have to run smaller tires?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 AM

568 posts, read 2,420,158 times
When done correctly, a lowered truck can work just as hard as any stock or lifted truck. Someone who has a lowered truck isn't using it for trail riding, so high-centering is a non-issue.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
No. I feel trucks are ruined if they are lowered. The bigger the better

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
No. I feel trucks are ruined if they are lowered. The bigger the better
I'm just the opposite. I have no use for an large offroad truck, so I'll lower my street trucks to look better, but still haul what they need to haul.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
Most raised trucks if driven off road are used for mud holes. A lot of raised trucks can't drive off road very well due to their height. I do they look cool and tough. Look at Land Rovers, for the most part they can go almost anywhere in stock form.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
A truck's value for the things I use a truck for - towing and hauling - is diminished by raising it, so I would have no interest in a raised truck. Not saying I wouldn't buy one at all, just that I wouldn't pay a premium for one; if it were raised more than 3" actually I probably wouldn't even consider it unless the price were discounted enough to cover the cost of returning it to stock form.

But, some people like off-roading. Some like driving through mud bogs. These activities require some extra clearance, so if that's what you want to do in your spare time you need to equip your vehicle to handle it. And then of course some will never be driven off a paved road but the owner just thinks it looks cool all jacked up. More power to him.

To each his own , I say .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive