U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
Reputation: 2413

Advertisements

I am not talking about some chump 1-cylinder engine or hybrid. I am talking about it ever being possible to get 100 MPG out of a V8 with 350 HP? I know we have come a long way (sort of) in terms of MPG's of int. combustion engines vs 50 years ago, but can we do more or are we destined for electrics and hybrids only?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
Reputation: 1588
Not even if the car weights 1,000 lbs. We can produce a lower hp V-8 but it still would be inefficient compared to a 4 cylinder.

LONG LIVE THE V-8!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
Reputation: 2819
Turbocharging certainly seems to be the way to go, whether that be 3,4, 5 or 6 cylinders. The V8's doesn't seem to be terribly good designs as far as fuel consumption goes from the get go though.

But honestly, I'm not sure if I care, as long as they keep sound as sweet as they do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
Reputation: 7957
With family sedans using a turbo four getting at or more than 275 HP and 0-60 on around 6 seconds, it'll be interesting to see if the combination of turbo, direct injection, and other tech will result in a 100 mpg vehicle but I doubt it'll happen with a V8.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
 
124 posts, read 100,648 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Not even if the car weights 1,000 lbs. We can produce a lower hp V-8 but it still would be inefficient compared to a 4 cylinder.
Naaahhh... Efficiency is not determined by the number of cylinders.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Location: un peu près de Chicago
773 posts, read 2,001,055 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
Naaahhh... Efficiency is not determined by the number of cylinders.
Car manufacturers have been increasingly going to cylinder deactivation to increase gas mileage.
Cylinder deactivation helps keep power while raising fuel efficiency
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM
 
1,037 posts, read 1,477,746 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
Naaahhh... Efficiency is not determined by the number of cylinders.
Cylinder count is indeed a factor in engine efficiency. More cylinders equals more friction surface area in the engine. Of course there are numerous other factors in the equation but, all other factors being equal, lower cylinder count = better efficiency.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
 
1,037 posts, read 1,477,746 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
With family sedans using a turbo four getting at or more than 275 HP and 0-60 on around 6 seconds, it'll be interesting to see if the combination of turbo, direct injection, and other tech will result in a 100 mpg vehicle but I doubt it'll happen with a V8.
Aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance are the biggest hurdles to the "100 mpg family car" powered solely by an Internal Combustion Engine. We are approaching the point of diminishing returns on I.C.E. efficiency. Without a major paradigm shift in consumer expectations for size, shape, comfort, safety, and performance I don't see it happening.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,680 posts, read 4,456,862 times
Reputation: 3622
Not just a V-8, many of us are happy driving basic 4-cylinders.... is it possible to have one of those that gets close to 100MPG without it being a hybrid, or being so underpowered that it won't get up the freeway speeds?
I just don't get it, because I have had small cars back in the 90's that got 40-45 MPG, and now my new Kia Spectra- which is really about the same size, but with obviously much newer technology- barely gets 30 MPG. I would think with the newest technology we'd be getting amazing MPG's out of these small cars/small engines- instead they are sacrificing MPg's for getting a bit more power out of them. With gas prices on the rise, will that change?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Not just a V-8, many of us are happy driving basic 4-cylinders.... is it possible to have one of those that gets close to 100MPG without it being a hybrid, or being so underpowered that it won't get up the freeway speeds?
I just don't get it, because I have had small cars back in the 90's that got 40-45 MPG, and now my new Kia Spectra- which is really about the same size, but with obviously much newer technology- barely gets 30 MPG. I would think with the newest technology we'd be getting amazing MPG's out of these small cars/small engines- instead they are sacrificing MPg's for getting a bit more power out of them. With gas prices on the rise, will that change?
You might... just might see 4-pot turbo diesels get close to 100 MPG on highway, seeing as they're currently ones in production that get north of 60 MPG without too much difficulty.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top