U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times

Advertisements

It would be a good idea to bleed all 4 if it's been a while since you did that.

If you go buy a brake pedal hold-down device - Lysle tool makes them - if you keep the brake pedal depressed a bit while the system is open, that tends to reduce the amount of fluid that leaks out.

Good point that if you have one caliper leaking, or otherwise in need of replacement, does the other one need it too, or reason to think it soon will? Or did you just break off a bleed screw?

If you use a good quality brake fluid like Castrol LMA, and at least bleed till you get clear fluid on each of the 4 wheels say 1 or 2 X per year, do it in conjunction with tire rotation, it will go a long way towards avoiding any sort of hydraulic issues in your brake system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM

773 posts, read 2,001,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Don't you mean non-hygroscopic?
Yes I did.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Lysle tool makes them
It's Lisle, not Lysle.
Lisle Corporation (Catalogs T72 & T84 are the ones to download.)
A lot of their tools are made in Taiwan; don't expect Snap-On quality.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Actually I have seen some Taiwan-made tools, that while they were not Snap-On level, were decent.

Not to segway into the political, but Taiwan is a different outfit from Mainland China.

Lisle (thanks for the correction in spelling) (could make a quip that Lisle is the Russian transliteration, while Lysle is the Ukrainian..) makes some handy and reasonably cost-effective specialty tools.

In any case, don't put Vise-Grips on the brake line soft hose as a dodge to minimize fluid leakage - just like letting the caliper hang by that soft hose - mechanics with low craftsmanship standards do both all the time and *usually* nothing happens - *usually*.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,896,915 times
Well, should be fun. Guess I'm gonna go ahead and bleed all 4....

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
I would agree with bleeding all four. While not absolutely necessary, I've always defaulted to bleeding all four whenever I had the system open.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,441,689 times
No you do not have to bleed the entire system just to replace on caliper

Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:

In any case, don't put Vise-Grips on the brake line soft hose as a dodge to minimize fluid leakage - just like letting the caliper hang by that soft hose - mechanics with low craftsmanship standards do both all the time and *usually* nothing happens - *usually*.
^^ Good tip.

There are tools made just for clamping off a flex line. I don't own any and wouldn't use it if I did.http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUg5i4aE8O-hUaUHv-g7WI6LuQ2ZakWDZKQMYyB87NmiYauuR4 (broken link)

Simplest and easiest solution is to have an assortment of vacuum fitting caps. Just slip the right size cap over the exposed hose and leakage will be held to a minimum or stopped completely.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM

3,138 posts, read 6,901,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Yeah just wasn't looking forward to doing all of the wheels. I'll check the brake fluid condition, bleed the wheel with the replacement caliper and see how it feels.
If you buy a hand operated vacuum pump bleeding /changing brake fluid is a non event.

Once the wheels are off you could bleed a system in 30 minutes or less.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Lisle (thanks for the correction in spelling) (could make a quip that Lisle is the Russian transliteration, while Lysle is the Ukrainian..) makes some handy and reasonably cost-effective specialty tools.
Yes, they do make some reasonably cost-effective specialty tools. That is why I included links to their catalogs. I have several of their tools, especially tools I use only occasionally, like O2 sensor removal claws/sockets.

Speaking of Lisle (the name), the town where I currently live is Lisle, Illinois, about 25 miles southwest of downtown Chicago. This area was originally settled by French voyageurs, and the town was named after Lille, France, a gritty industrial city northeast of Paris, which at the time of Illinois settlement was called Lisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or