U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM
 
3,073 posts, read 4,480,871 times
Reputation: 1540

Advertisements

Original correct cars restored by pros are in more demand than do it yourself resto/mod/customs and bring in the bigger dollars on average when they are finally sold....
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
4,926 posts, read 5,518,281 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Original correct cars restored by pros are in more demand than do it yourself resto/mod/customs and bring in the bigger dollars on average when they are finally sold....
No, they won't. Street rods prove it, but a resto-mod on a '67 Fairlane will bring more money thana stock '67 fairlane in the same condition.

Again, the exceptions are the very rare and desirable classics and a few musclecars. But they ARE the exceptions.

But like I said, cars like that '30 Ford have a MUCH larger pool of potential buyers as a street rod or traditional hot rod than as a restored original, and that's shown in the pricing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
4,926 posts, read 5,518,281 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
You sold your RX7 and for $8k? It was a nice car, but you did real well on that sell.
At the time, there were very nearly no other V8 RX7s in the world. I gave away a lot of plans packages in the mid-90s and the car inspired an entire website dedicated to V8 RX7s.

This:

http://images.usedcheapcars.org/used-mazda/1987-mazda-rx-7-mazda-1-3l-2-cylinder-ffs-5-speed-manual/crop2-ucc.jpg (broken link)

vs this:





Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
 
3,073 posts, read 4,480,871 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, they won't. Street rods prove it, but a resto-mod on a '67 Fairlane will bring more money thana stock '67 fairlane in the same condition.

Again, the exceptions are the very rare and desirable classics and a few musclecars. But they ARE the exceptions.

But like I said, cars like that '30 Ford have a MUCH larger pool of potential buyers as a street rod or traditional hot rod than as a restored original, and that's shown in the pricing.
Barret Jackson does not agree. ..Old cars are like rare coins.Drill a chain hole in an old indian head nickle and see if it is worth as much as the original correct one...case n point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 AM
 
Location: douglasville ga
2 posts, read 850 times
Reputation: 10
Default sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Thanks!....do you think it's worth the price the guy is asking? How much do those go for restored to
"original"?


Just wondering....


If ya like it,get it and enjoy!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
4,926 posts, read 5,518,281 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Barret Jackson does not agree. ..Old cars are like rare coins.Drill a chain hole in an old indian head nickle and see if it is worth as much as the original correct one...case n point.
Again, a stock 1930 Model A at Barrett Jackson will go for LESS than a similar quality Model A Street Rod will. All day long and twice on sundays.

All you are talking about is the RARE stock musclecars and exotics.

Let me put it another way, my '63 Mercury Comet is valued at $8k in stock restored condition. In my hot rodded condition, it is worth double that, if not more.

I've been dealing in these cars for decades, my friend.

This car in my garage:



is worth more than this one:



Yet they both started out the same.

This is worth more than a stock '69 Mustang, other than a BOSS 429. But since it wasn't a BOSS when it started, it's worth more than what it would have been restored:

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 AM
 
15,134 posts, read 7,583,997 times
Reputation: 7447
nice 69 mustang merc,(makes plans to relieve merc of his nice 69 stang)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top