U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM

780 posts, read 2,134,096 times

Advertisements

What could the vehicle(s) be that it (they) weigh that much to you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
The contract. An actual legal contract was formed the moment they made a deal.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
A contract to sell a car does not have to be in writing. your deposit would be enough. But who wants to deal with flakes or crooks.

Tell him that you are calling the police unless the $500 is not in your hands by sun down.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times
The seller had the CASH in hand and can return same or go to the bank and write a counter check from his account withdrawing CASH and repay the OP. Simple I would think.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Actually, from a purely contractual standpoint, you have a pretty good case.
Case for what? He's getting his money back. Sounds liek the seller was all set to trade, someone stole the car, and now he has nothing to trade,/sell, so h'es givingthe OP his money back.

SOunds like the seller, no tthe OP is aivictim here, as the OP still has HIS car. And if the seller had already taken his car off his insurance as he knew he'd be selling it, it REALLY sucks for him.

I don't see where some of you are claiming the seller is a flake or a crook.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,569,406 times
Well they found it. I'm awaiting the seller's update on the condition...supposedly just a busted drivers side window.

I'll be needing a full inspection & signoff from a mechanic, and angle for a lower price now that it's damaged goods.

As I posted earlier, the wonders of technology allowed me to run the VIN with the State, and sure enough it came up as stolen...so in fact the seller was being honest and I feel like a jerk for assuming the worst...but the timing of this was far too coincidental.

For his sake I hope he still had insurance and didn't cancel it yet...I was going to cancel mine once we swapped rigs.

If he went to all this hassle to get out of our deal, well, I dunno what to say.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:47 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Case for what? He's getting his money back. Sounds liek the seller was all set to trade, someone stole the car, and now he has nothing to trade,/sell, so h'es givingthe OP his money back.

SOunds like the seller, no tthe OP is aivictim here, as the OP still has HIS car. And if the seller had already taken his car off his insurance as he knew he'd be selling it, it REALLY sucks for him.

I don't see where some of you are claiming the seller is a flake or a crook.

I'm assuming he won't get his money back because, well, he's dealing with a person.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,569,406 times
He's sending my money back...and we may still have a deal if the recovered vehicle checks out...I am waiting to hear on that.

He's gotta deal with insurance now, or at least I hope that he's got insurance to deal with...otherwise I suppose I can get an estimated replacement cost and angle for a better deal if it checks out mechanically/cosmetically.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
I'm assuming he won't get his money back because, well, he's dealing with a person.
If that were the case, I doubt he'd even be still in contact. There'd be weeks or more of just crossing paths and never making actual contact.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
Quote:
If the OP had that attitude he shouldn't have given a deposit in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive