U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
OP wants a V-6. The Turbo is an I-4 and slower than the V-6 but seems to get better MPG.
I have the turbo Sonata and although it may be a tick slower on some tests (and faster on others) the big thing few magazine races see is the turbo produces full torque from 1800 to 4800 rpm so it is more responsive than any of the V6's. With the balance shaft module it is actually smoother in power delivery than and 4 or 6 I drove so it actually feels a lot like V8 power.

Now have had the car three months and am still impressed every time I drive it. It is faster, a better handler, more economical, and better equipped than any of the other sedans we have owned and tested.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Quote:
OP wants a V-6. The Turbo is an I-4 and slower than the V-6 but seems to get better MPG.
Serious?

Do you know the the 2.0T produces?

Quote:
Like most direct-injection engines (including the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter in the base Sonata), the Theta II turbo doesn't make the most sonorous of noises at tickover, but inside, noise is well controlled in both volume and tone, no matter the speed. All 274 horses gallop in at a rather lofty 6,000 RPM, but the 269 lb-ft of torque pushes in at just 1,800 RPM and hangs out until 4,500 is showing on the tach, at which point the power begins to taper off. Burying the pedal while getting up to speed on the big 2.8-mile bowl, we not only observed strong acceleration that would seem to jibe with Hyundai's 0-60 mph estimate of 6.5 seconds, we also noted impressive high-speed stability at speeds in excess of 140 miles per hour
Source:
First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T brings turbo power to Main Street America — Autoblog

No other cars are putting up these numbers and getting ~33MPG.

The Altima 3.5 is quicker but the Sonata isn't far behind. I'd definitely check out both of them and see how they compare.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,142,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have the turbo Sonata and although it may be a tick slower on some tests (and faster on others) the big thing few magazine races see is the turbo produces full torque from 1800 to 4800 rpm so it is more responsive than any of the V6's. With the balance shaft module it is actually smoother in power delivery than and 4 or 6 I drove so it actually feels a lot like V8 power.

Now have had the car three months and am still impressed every time I drive it. It is faster, a better handler, more economical, and better equipped than any of the other sedans we have owned and tested.
No I-4 can match the smoothness of a vehicle with more cylinders, even if it has a turbo. That is just engineering. Their turbo is another way to produce power but it doesn't outperform those cars so the main benefit is MPG. I also prefer the proven long term reliability of a a V-6 over a turbo which is more likely. Quite frankly I prefer a turbo in a sports vehicle (BMW 1M for instance) to a pedestrian car.

And no it does not feel like it has V-8 power unless you are talking about a 1995 Lincoln Town Car V-8 which had 210hp. It doesn't feel nothing like their own Genesis V-8, not close.

You feel you made the right decision with your purchase and that is great. There stlll is no replacement for displacement (unless we talk crazy turbos like EVOs, etc)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Quote:
No I-4 can match the smoothness of a vehicle with more cylinders, even if it has a turbo. That is just engineering. Their turbo is another way to produce power but it doesn't outperform those cars so the main benefit is MPG. I also prefer the proven long term reliability of a a V-6 over a turbo which is more likely. Quite frankly I prefer a turbo in a sports vehicle (BMW 1M for instance) to a pedestrian car.

And no it does not feel like it has V-8 power unless you are talking about a 1995 Lincoln Town Car V-8 which had 210hp. It doesn't feel nothing like their own Genesis V-8, not close.

You feel you made the right decision with your purchase and that is great. There stlll is no replacement for displacement (unless we talk crazy turbos like EVOs, etc)
Spoken like many that are truly great at testing magazine reviews.

Go out and drive some cars.

Last edited by cdelena; 03-30-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,142,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Serious?

Do you know the the 2.0T produces?

Source:
First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T brings turbo power to Main Street America — Autoblog

No other cars are putting up these numbers and getting ~33MPG.

The Altima 3.5 is quicker but the Sonata isn't far behind. I'd definitely check out both of them and see how they compare.
Which is slower than the Camry, Accord, Altima V-6..... Thanks for helping prove my point.

Today it seems "turbo" is the new marketing spin to sell the the uneducated masses. Turbo does not=faster. I am not bashing the engine but it isn't any better performing. It is simply another way to approach offering more power. Most decide on a V-6, they decided this time on a turbo.

You seem to be caught up in PEAK HP ratings. It is hard to beat the Nissan VQ in the light Altima.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Spoken like many that are truly great at testing magazine reviews.

Go out and drive some cars.
Wow the arrogance of these new age Hyundai owners is amazing. I've driven them thank you. My apologies if my opinion does not align with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive