Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,867,844 times

Advertisements

I believe I have a bad plug in one of the banks on my mail car, a 2008 Impala. I could change the front three easily, but I would rather do it right and change all six. I am sure most of you have owned a FWD car and know what kind of b--ch it is to get to the rear plugs. Any tips on making it an easier task or am I going to have to swallow my pride and take it to a shop?

Also, should I change the wires while I am at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,095,761 times
I just changed some on a 2004 Taurus and I know what you are saying. The first thing you got to do is be able to reach the back plugs with the proper spark plug removal socket and ratchet . I reached them from the top but on some cars it is best to go from the bottom back side and the car will need to be jacked up. Check the service manual for more details. No car is made where there is no simple procedure to replace the plugs. The trick is to know the procedure yourself and not pay hundreds for something any pro can do in minutes......even though they may try to make you think it is a big deal and cost hundreds A car made in 2008 should not need wires. If you need plugs the CEL will be on..is it?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I just changed some on a 2004 Taurus and I know what you are saying. The first thing you got to do is be able to reach the back plugs with the proper spark plug removal socket and ratchet . I reached them from the top but on some cars it is best to go from the bottom back side and the car will need to be jacked up. Check the service manual for more details. No car is made where there is no simple procedure to replace the plugs. The trick is to know the procedure yourself and not pay hundreds for something any pro can do in minutes......even though they may try to make you think it is a big deal and cost hundreds A car made in 2008 should not need wires. If you need plugs the CEL will be on..is it?
The light came on a couple weeks ago. The engine is acting like a plug is fouled out. I looked again and if I take off the coil pack, I may be able to reach them better. It's going to be rough either way.

No way I am going to take it in to a shop. It's the equivalent of six screws with a piece of rubber on the ends.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The light came on a couple weeks ago. The engine is acting like a plug is fouled out. I looked again and if I take off the coil pack, I may be able to reach them better. It's going to be rough either way.

No way I am going to take it in to a shop. It's the equivalent of six screws with a piece of rubber on the ends.
If it's so simple then why are you here asking for advice on how to do it?

Anyway, remove the engine cover, then remove the bolt from one end of each dog bone engine mount (you may only have one mount) and just loosen the bolt in the other end and rotate the mount out of the way. Position your floor jack with a block of wood on it under the transmission pan and jack it up. Don't get carried away with the jack. The engine will rotate, giving you access to the rear plugs.

Proceed at your own risk. Just make sure your jack is in good shape because if it drops, it won't be good for the hands. And watch out for anything sharp on the firewall.
^^This what the mount looks like

Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
Like gimme3steps pointed out, the best way to do it is loosen the mounts and rotate the engine forward to get easier access to the back plugs. This is what they would do if you took it into a shop.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,194,410 times
Yup. For a transverse V engine, at least a GM one, that's the best way to go about it.

Most of them the plugs on a modern FWD car are in the center of the head, so they are easy to get at even as a transverse engine. And 4 cyl FWD ones are generally complete cake to get to, so it's not a FWD thing, just a poorly engineered GM thing.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM

BTW, the Champion spark plugs website says the OEM plugs are iridiums. Is this BS or can I make do with the regular platinums?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
BTW, the Champion spark plugs website says the OEM plugs are iridiums. Is this BS or can I make do with the regular platinums?
Any plug will work as long as it is the correct heat range and gapped appropriately.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,799,877 times
The iridium are for the 100,000 mile interval between plug changes. The platinum plug will work ok as long as it's the correct plug for your engine. They just won't last nearly as long. That's your call.

I'd avoid Champion and go back with AC-Delco if available. That's my preference.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
The iridium are for the 100,000 mile interval between plug changes. The platinum plug will work ok as long as it's the correct plug for your engine. They just won't last nearly as long. That's your call.

I'd avoid Champion and go back with AC-Delco if available. That's my preference.
I "hear" Autolites are a POS. I haven't had them in years though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive