U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2011, 06:08 PM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,144,922 times
Reputation: 1588

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They are 3 Japanese pickups that do not sell anywhere near as well as the domestics. That's why they get bunched together.

Deal with it, or don't and continue to whine like a baby about crap that doesn't matter.
Deal with what? Someone that drives a 1990 Corsica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,031,973 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sorry but I don't see F-150's doing what you say nor do I see Silverados doing that. The Tundra was built to go against those vehicles not the bigger trucks. And by the way, the people I see buying those bigger vehicles around here never pull anything more than a small trailer and most of the time, nothing at all. I know a guy who bought a dually and never tows anything, he bought it because he could and because it makes up for him lacking in other areas if you know what I mean.

Go to Hickory, west in your State, and you'll see plenty of the toyotas not working while there are hundreds on the road of ford, chevy, and dodge trucks pulling equipment, such as Bobcats, Bobcat 331 backhoes, etc. I lived there a while and I-26 is full of the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy/GMC trucks working, from the half ton trucks up in the various sizes and the couple toyotas that are tried to be put to work are overheating or being towed from something breaking or quitting. And I would bet that toyota would blame the owner for treating it like a real truck. As for seeing plenty of ALL brands of trucks that are never worked, yep, they are out there too including the beautiful redhead in the maroon and silver GMC with the "Silly boys, trucks are for girls" sticker on the back glass. And she isn't lacking anything a guy looks for!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,732,281 times
Reputation: 10227
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post

Its great some of you have diversity in your vehicle choices but don't look down at others who are happy with sticking to a particular brand or two.
I'm sure I am not the only one in this situation...I buy vehicles primarily for a purpose; they have to be practical beyond just getting me to and from work.

I'm a painting & drywall contractor, so a truck or work van is for work; I have to carry ladders and materials and so on. I've had several Nissan trucks because I've found them to be fantastically reliable plus they've been easy to find with a manual transmission.

I do dog shows and dog sports with large dogs; so my "non-work" vehicle for years has been an *ack* minivan: space for crates, dogs, equipment and so on. I've yet to find a great "dog bus" - the Chevy Venture was a POS, the Dodge was comfortable and nice to drive but not reliable (then again I bought it older and used), the Sienna as vanilla as it gets and wasn't what I'd expected from a Toyota, reliability-wise.

Currently I don't have a "fun" car because owning three vehicles seems silly but I've long been partial to Saabs. Saab doesn't make a truck or minivan, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,493,051 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm sure I am not the only one in this situation...I buy vehicles primarily for a purpose; they have to be practical beyond just getting me to and from work.
I only look at trucks that way. Out of the hundred plus cars I've owned in teh last 30 years, very few have been trucks.


Quote:
Currently I don't have a "fun" car because owning three vehicles seems silly
Silly? I've had up to 8 at the same time. Right now, we have the BMW 740iL, a Range Rover HSE, a Chevy 3500 diesel dually, a '79 Chevy stepside hot rod pickup, an MGB and a '63 Mercury Comet convertible. I'm trying to find a cost effective way of getting my '61 Renault 4CV over here from my folks' house over in Washington State. Now that we have the dually, I'll probably be selling the Range Rover and looking for an '05-06 Mini Cooper S or an '02-03 BMW 325ci Sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
43 posts, read 42,192 times
Reputation: 82
See My Inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Curiosity got the best of me. I know a LOT of people who will simply purchase a vehicle because it's a "______" (enter vehicle make) and not care about the true merits of the vehicle. I know this forum has many knowledgeable and intelligent individuals who research vehicles much more than the common man but does that mean we're not prone to buy a vehicle based on a certain brand we're partial to? I do both, I am brand partial but I also research the best out of the class. However, one thing I will never do is buy a non-domestic car, unless of course, I will the lotto, I might consider a Porsche or Italian hot rod.


If you're a Ford truck guy, (Gal)would you consider a Chevy Silverado? I am a Ford person but would never dismiss a Chevy!


How many of you consider ALL brands when looking at buying a new vehicle or do you solely focus on one or two? Any American company! Do you become dead-set on buying a vehicle from a certain brand even if another brand may have something that would suit you better? As long as it isn't foreign!


Are you a brand loyal person or do you buy a vehicle for the vehicle regardless of what brand it is?
Yes and no. Again, I would never buy foreign, but if I see a car/truck I really like and the research is good, then I will buy it regardless of the American brand car it is, Ford, Chevy, Buick, Dodge Caddy, its all good to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
43 posts, read 42,192 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

I do dog shows and dog sports with large dogs; so my "non-work" vehicle for years has been an *ack* minivan: space for crates, dogs, equipment and so on. I've yet to find a great "dog bus" - the Chevy Venture was a POS, the Dodge was comfortable and nice to drive but not reliable (then again I bought it older and used), the Sienna as vanilla as it gets and wasn't what I'd expected from a Toyota, reliability-wise.

I show too! What kind of dogs?

I had a Ford Conversion "Dog Van". Have you checked out the dog show conversion vans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 PM
 
Location: White House, TN
5,147 posts, read 3,609,825 times
Reputation: 3230
I tend to gravitate toward Honda, and it needs to be a good vehicle too!

I hadn't even gotten my first car when this thread started. I got my first car May 4, 2012, my second May 4, 2013 after the first was totaled. Both were 8th generation (2008-2012) Honda Accord sedans. The first was a black 2008 with black leather seats and a 4 cylinder, the second a white 2011 with tan leather seats and completely loaded . I loved the first, and I love the second even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,086,048 times
Reputation: 4997
Yes, I am an American, and I support America, its workers, and manufacturers. Anything else is an excuse, and anti-American. If your excuse to justify buying foreign products makes you feel better you have that right. Comparison's such as the Camry being most American, or 2nd don't wash, because the don't account for management. They account for a large portion of a company, and your dollars are supporting people in foreign countries no matter what you claim. I'd rather drive a Pinto than a BMW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Midwest
978 posts, read 1,525,420 times
Reputation: 794
I try to buy American as much as possible. However, many import cars are much better than GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

However, I've told myself I would never own another Toyota. My Corolla was the most boring car I've ever had. It was reliable though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,838,061 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yes, I am an American, and I support America, its workers, and manufacturers. Anything else is an excuse, and anti-American. If your excuse to justify buying foreign products makes you feel better you have that right. Comparison's such as the Camry being most American, or 2nd don't wash, because the don't account for management. They account for a large portion of a company, and your dollars are supporting people in foreign countries no matter what you claim. I'd rather drive a Pinto than a BMW.
Nothing says "patriotic" like fueling the Big Three's complacency until consumers could no longer hold their noses and ignore how crappy their products were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top