U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,053,813 times

Advertisements

My vote goes to anything with a 6BT Cummins or 7.3 powerstroke... either of those must have a handshaker or built up A/T. I am a 6BT guy, I have addressed all the kinks throughout the truck (Ram 2500) and I won't need another truck for the forseeable future. Driving around on free fuel has also made me even more of an addict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,570,051 times
He's keeping the 7.3 he has, but needs an additional. he did consider a used 7.3, but they are getting on a little and are really expensive. he's got a general contracting business which is doing really well and he needs another truck to add to the 4 he already has, the other 3 are gas f250 and he specifically wants diesel. he tows 10000lb trailers all day but bear in mind this is florida, so it's flat all the way. i told him to go with the isuzu trucks because they're less likely to be driven like bats outta hell, but he doesn't like them

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,505,633 times
I've found this thread very interesting. I'm thinking of a new truck. My current truck is a 1985 Ford F-250. But when I ordered it, I had them stuff a 3208 Cat Diesel under the hood.

I only have 316,000 miles on it. Doesn't burn any oild, runs smooth. I normally pull a 27,000 lb 5th wheel behind it. Matter of fact, I've pulled this trailer for way over half of it's life.

I know they've cut back on the 250 and 350 ford. But what about the 450 or 550? Is it still limited by the 6 or do they stick something bigger in it because it's more commercial?
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,046,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
He's keeping the 7.3 he has, but needs an additional. he did consider a used 7.3, but they are getting on a little and are really expensive. he's got a general contracting business which is doing really well and he needs another truck to add to the 4 he already has, the other 3 are gas f250 and he specifically wants diesel. he tows 10000lb trailers all day but bear in mind this is florida, so it's flat all the way. i told him to go with the isuzu trucks because they're less likely to be driven like bats outta hell, but he doesn't like them

The cost of parts for that isuzu will more than hurt the wallet! A company by me had a fleet of them, and when it was time for brakes, they never could get away with spending less than 1200 bucks to get the brakes right. There were extremely expensive general maintance things , but that stands out the most. After 5 years of runnig the isuzu's, the F350's, the Kodiak the kodiak's and F350's were within pennies of each other in total operating cost while the cheaper to buy in isuzu's were nearly 3 times as expensive to maintain.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 AM

25,584 posts, read 30,611,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I've found this thread very interesting. I'm thinking of a new truck. My current truck is a 1985 Ford F-250. But when I ordered it, I had them stuff a 3208 Cat Diesel under the hood.

I only have 316,000 miles on it. Doesn't burn any oild, runs smooth. I normally pull a 27,000 lb 5th wheel behind it. Matter of fact, I've pulled this trailer for way over half of it's life.

I know they've cut back on the 250 and 350 ford. But what about the 450 or 550? Is it still limited by the 6 or do they stick something bigger in it because it's more commercial?
The F450s and F550 are running the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel. The run the 6.7 in the F250 on up. From what I am gathering it is better than the other trainwrecks like the 6.0 and 6.4... I don't think it would measure up the 7.3.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,046,480 times
Quote:

Got any pictures of the Cat in the Ford? Thats a good engine and I never knew it could be put in a F250 or F350.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,914 posts, read 37,645,048 times
Quote:
... I'm thinking of a new truck. My current truck is a 1985 Ford F-250. But when I ordered it, I had them stuff a 3208 Cat Diesel under the hood.

I only have 316,000 miles on it. ....
Add a few $$ to keep the '85 alive.... It will probably outlive you

She'll be good for at least 800k

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,164,419 times
My long-time mechanic maintains light and medium truck fleets for several utility companies, private companies, and government agencies. I've reported his opinions on the forum before, but I will repeat them:

Ford: Good body, good suspension on the 4WD's with solid axles. Availability of mechanically simple part-time 4WD with manual hubs a plus. Gasoline engines are reliable--but thirsty. The 7.3 was a good diesel engine--the 6.0 and 6.4 complete junk. Jury still out on the 6.7. Automatic transmissions run the gamut from good to bad depending on year and model.

Dodge: Bodies are junk. '94-'98's especially bad on cab mounts and radiator mounts--especially if the truck is used off-highway at all--both problems VERY expensive to fix. Newer models don't have that specific problem, but bodies are still tinny. Cummins diesel the best engine of the lot, but automatic transmissions pretty trouble-prone. Solid front-axle suspension on 4WD's is good. Gas engines are thirsty and not as good as the other maker's offerings. Chrysler traditionally horrible to deal with on parts--both on price and availability.

GM: Bodies are solid, nearly as good as Ford these days. Duramax diesel and Allison automatic the best combination powertrain available of the Big Three. Gasoline engines thirsty, but reliable. Independent front suspension on 4WD's less desirable for off-highway use, but has been fairly reliable for the past few years.

He also noted that, for a lot of years, about the only big fleet user of Dodges was the Federal Government, and even they have somewhat backed away from them. He still sees a lot of diesel Fords in fleets, but also hears lots of complaints about the 6.0 and 6.4. He had a couple of fleets pretty much switch over to GM from Ford over the diesel reliability issues with the 6.0 and 6.4.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,637,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
My long-time mechanic maintains light and medium truck fleets for several utility companies, private companies, and government agencies. I've reported his opinions on the forum before, but I will repeat them:

Ford: Good body, good suspension on the 4WD's with solid axles. Availability of mechanically simple part-time 4WD with manual hubs a plus. Gasoline engines are reliable--but thirsty. The 7.3 was a good diesel engine--the 6.0 and 6.4 complete junk. Jury still out on the 6.7. Automatic transmissions run the gamut from good to bad depending on year and model.

Dodge: Bodies are junk. '94-'98's especially bad on cab mounts and radiator mounts--especially if the truck is used off-highway at all--both problems VERY expensive to fix. Newer models don't have that specific problem, but bodies are still tinny. Cummins diesel the best engine of the lot, but automatic transmissions pretty trouble-prone. Solid front-axle suspension on 4WD's is good. Gas engines are thirsty and not as good as the other maker's offerings. Chrysler traditionally horrible to deal with on parts--both on price and availability.

GM: Bodies are solid, nearly as good as Ford these days. Duramax diesel and Allison automatic the best combination powertrain available of the Big Three. Gasoline engines thirsty, but reliable. Independent front suspension on 4WD's less desirable for off-highway use, but has been fairly reliable for the past few years.

He also noted that, for a lot of years, about the only big fleet user of Dodges was the Federal Government, and even they have somewhat backed away from them. He still sees a lot of diesel Fords in fleets, but also hears lots of complaints about the 6.0 and 6.4. He had a couple of fleets pretty much switch over to GM from Ford over the diesel reliability issues with the 6.0 and 6.4.
This is pretty much my day-to-day life and I concur with everything your buddy says.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM

10,721 posts, read 22,404,112 times
I swear why did dodge back the best diesel engine ever to be used in a 3/4-1-ton truck and back it with the worse tranny where the motor goes to 500,000 miles with ease just you need 5-6 tranny rebuilds to get there the new one may be better but the earlier ones were notorious for failing.

of all the car companies around no one has made a tranny shop more money from rebuilds and reman's than dodge has in the 90's if the mechanic saw a dodge being towed to his shop he already knew it was the tranny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or