U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
He's keeping the 7.3 he has, but needs an additional. he did consider a used 7.3, but they are getting on a little and are really expensive. he's got a general contracting business which is doing really well and he needs another truck to add to the 4 he already has, the other 3 are gas f250 and he specifically wants diesel. he tows 10000lb trailers all day but bear in mind this is florida, so it's flat all the way. i told him to go with the isuzu trucks because they're less likely to be driven like bats outta hell, but he doesn't like them
I work as an analyst for a fleet management company and I can tell you from reviewing multiple fleets that he will be better off going with the V10 gas engine in the F250 over the 6.0/4. Once you factor in the diesel upcharge at purchase, the higher price of fuel and the propensity to break in expensive ways and dealing with emissions crap, a well equipped gas V10 will cost him significantly less over the long haul.

Towing 10k, maybe where his issue lies, but the newer V10's with 4.10 gears and the Torqshift transmission are adequate for towing 10k, especially in Florida. The 4R100 transmissions and standard 3.73's on the older V10's made it an issue to tow that much.

If he HAS to go diesel (which I don't think he does) I would go with one of the GM's, though given his small fleet being all Ford, there is probably a benefit to staying with the Ford line for him.

If he is looking to buy a 2011, they no longer have the V10 engine option. However, the new 6.2 when optioned with the 4.30 rear, is plenty adequate for towing 10k pounds. Given the disparity in fuel price and the upcharge of the 6.7 (coupled with the unknowns about its long term reliability) I would probably recommend he go with the 6.2 from a total cost perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times

YouTube - 06 dodge diesel, 40+mpg on the highway by steelman
bully dog power pup on extreme, in 6th gear going 65, great miles to the gallon, put in 40 bucks, and that was half a tank, and the thing said good for nearly 600 miles.

the 06 was the last year of the awsome 5.9 cummins diesel and the 6-speed manual tranny is no longer made in the new 2010 versions last year was the 2009 but it is a great combo since with a chip and a tune it can be a high horsepower 475-500RWP and 900+ ft-lbs of RW touque monster or set on extreme economy setting it will gewt 30-35MPG FWY which means it gets better milage than some most brand new economy cars. plus the 6-speed manual tranny it means the dodge auto-tranny failure problem issue is of no worry.
also it can be fun like this

YouTube - 2007 dodge cummins diesel 5.9 having a little fun

Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,009,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
- 06 dodge diesel, 40+mpg on the highway by steelman[/url]
bully dog power pup on extreme, in 6th gear going 65, great miles to the gallon, put in 40 bucks, and that was half a tank, and the thing said good for nearly 600 miles.

the 06 was the last year of the awsome 5.9 cummins diesel and the 6-speed manual tranny is no longer made in the new 2010 versions last year was the 2009 but it is a great combo since with a chip and a tune it can be a high horsepower 475-500RWP and 900+ ft-lbs of RW touque monster or set on extreme economy setting it will gewt 30-35MPG FWY which means it gets better milage than some most brand new economy cars. plus the 6-speed manual tranny it means the dodge auto-tranny failure problem issue is of no worry.
also it can be fun like this

That 40mpg clip is totally inaccurate. My guess is he had a load and was coasting down a slight grade. Also those real time MPG calculators are not very accurate either. There are no true flow meters in the fuel circuit, the computer calculates consumption based on injector duty cycle sampling.... its a calculated guess but still a guess.

Maybe 30 mpg is possible (on a flat road) with slicks, no lift, 2wd and a heavy wind at your back. Otherwise these guys are full of it.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
I have seen a few Cummins get consistent 20+, and 27 on occasion. The best I can get in my 4x4 dually cummins (Heavy and high) is 22.

I did get 120mpg on my motorcycle once 'coasting' through Yellowstone at 30 mph.

I have a heck of a time getting my 50 mpg VW's to 60mpg. There is such a thing as basic fuel consumption required to push anything down the road. (Even maximum aerodynamics and rolling resistance improvements have not allowed us to get our little VW's to a consistent 75 mpg) Thus 20 % improvements are very tough. 100% would be a miracle (Tho I would be willing to have that happen!)

Old 04-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That 40mpg clip is totally inaccurate. My guess is he had a load and was coasting down a slight grade. Also those real time MPG calculators are not very accurate either. There are no true flow meters in the fuel circuit, the computer calculates consumption based on injector duty cycle sampling.... its a calculated guess but still a guess.

Maybe 30 mpg is possible (on a flat road) with slicks, no lift, 2wd and a heavy wind at your back. Otherwise these guys are full of it.
yeah the stock computers on cars and trucks are set so they read off some really high numbers that are about 6-7MPG off or more sometimes but it makes it look better on fuel than it really is which tricks people into buying it.

in a sense on a steep hill and coasting in neutral with engine running *it is unsafe to not have the motor running* (manual tranny only also) I can get 60MPG out of a ohv V-8 powered F250 while the normal fuel mileage is 12-13 MPG AVG mixed driving.

i am jealous of you cummis diesel guys that get awsome mileage and 450-475RWHP is easy with a mild tune

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-03-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,028,943 times
Quote:
I swear why did dodge back the best diesel engine ever to be used in a 3/4-1-ton truck and back it with the worse tranny where the motor goes to 500,000 miles with ease just you need 5-6 tranny rebuilds to get there the new one may be better but the earlier ones were notorious for failing.

of all the car companies around no one has made a tranny shop more money from rebuilds and reman's than dodge has in the 90's if the mechanic saw a dodge being towed to his shop he already knew it was the tranny
Yep ! There wasn't even a need to raise the hood first!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Quote:
I swear why did dodge back the best diesel engine ever to be used in a 3/4-1-ton truck and back it with the worse tranny where the motor goes to 500,000 miles with ease just you need 5-6 tranny rebuilds to get there ...
Yes, pretty lame on their part. Since you are in the Neighborhood, run by and talk to the guys at DTT to get a feel for their longevity, as they modify lots of Cummins w/ Dodge trannies. I have not heard of anyone going in for another rebuild after they get the weak parts updated. Tho I'm sure ANYTHING can go wrong.

I also haven't heard of more than 3 trannies required for a Dodge to make it to 1 million miles (but I'm sure there are exceptions.) I have looked at all kinds of options for a better trannie, but the Pickups don't have the 'real estate' to allow a 'fuller'. It would really be nice to have a real truck tranny in a pickup used for significant towing. (air brakes would be nice too, considering how bad Dodge screwed up their juice brakes.) Guess I will have to return to my Studebaker Diesels "Extra cost options were also available-New Process or Clark five-speed Overdrives,"
Our fleet used the Clarks with a 5th OD and 2 spd rear or a 3spd brownie. Mine had 3 million miles on her, running Denver > Rapid City 6 days / week for 15 yrs http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg
1962 Studebaker Diesel Trucks | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/autohistorian/4089074182/ - broken link)
(Oh, so NOISY... 4-53 jimmys) Studebaker Trucks - Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine

YouTube - Studebaker E45 Diesel Truck

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,151,116 times
I tow trailers for a living using diesels exclusively. My first was a 2003 F-350 7.3. Not a bad engine if you don't mind buying a lot of fuel. 12 mpg was normal. Next was a 2006 F-350 with a 6.0 engine. It was good until the extended 200,000 warranty ran out. Then it was injectors, bearings, EGR, and a cracked head. Plus it also got crappy fuel mileage at about 14 mpg empty, 6-9 towing. I just bought a 2011 F-350 with a 6.7 engine. 10 mpg towing, 20-24 mpg unloaded. The DEF fluid is a pain to keep full but it is a better truck than I've ever used. Face facts, you'll never see the powerful 7.3 again, but the 6.7 is more than enough to do the job. I can only comment on Ford as that's all I've ever used. People like the new Chevy 1-ton trucks also. Personal preference, I guess.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, pretty lame on their part. Since you are in the Neighborhood, run by and talk to the guys at DTT to get a feel for their longevity, as they modify lots of Cummins w/ Dodge trannies. I have not heard of anyone going in for another rebuild after they get the weak parts updated. Tho I'm sure ANYTHING can go wrong.

I also haven't heard of more than 3 trannies required for a Dodge to make it to 1 million miles (but I'm sure there are exceptions.) I have looked at all kinds of options for a better trannie, but the Pickups don't have the 'real estate' to allow a 'fuller'. It would really be nice to have a real truck tranny in a pickup used for significant towing. (air brakes would be nice too, considering how bad Dodge screwed up their juice brakes.) Guess I will have to return to my Studebaker Diesels "Extra cost options were also available-New Process or Clark five-speed Overdrives,"
Our fleet used the Clarks with a 5th OD and 2 spd rear or a 3spd brownie. Mine had 3 million miles on her, running Denver > Rapid City 6 days / week for 15 yrs http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg
1962 Studebaker Diesel Trucks | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/autohistorian/4089074182/ - broken link)
(Oh, so NOISY... 4-53 jimmys) Studebaker Trucks - Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine

YouTube - Studebaker E45 Diesel Truck
I have heard of DDT they some times come out run out of mission raceway for the diesel drag. the thing is I own a 91 F250 5.0EFI with a ZF-5 speed and go to north shore off-road for my goodies. but I wonder if DDT could drop a rebuilt a 5.9 12V into my old ford since he does custom intake and exhust work and maybe I will head down there when the weather is nicer and go for a chat and take a look around

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-06-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

YouTube - RedNeck 6.0L 10.56 @133 Powerstroke Diesel
it is huge up here lots of people from westren wahington and oregon come up here to race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or