Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
That's pretty much the typical price of a quality CAI from one of the bigger names. Whether or not you think ~+6hp, the off chance of hydrolocking your engine and catching flack from your service department on engine warranty issues is up to you. You can't "void" an entire car's warranty on just installing one part like that. In other words, if your A/C were to stop blowing cold, that is unrelated and would be warrantied. However, if anything foreign were to get in your engine and cause damage, or if you had any drivability issues they will automatically point the finger at it.

That said, I really honestly doubt you will have any trouble getting warranty work down on your Ford after installing one, or that you will have trouble with it. The biggest fear of having a CAI is going in too deep a puddle. The second is having the filter falling off and not knowing it since they are typically out of sight and behind the splash guard. That one is probably visible the whole time.

Hopefully Steeda will provide an installed shot as well as a before and after dyno graph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
DH put one on the Raptor. He loves it and swears it was well worth the money. Gives the truck a more "throatier" sound too.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Itake noise. I have several firnds who tried them i their trucks and none really noticed any differnce they said other than intake noise.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
they are useless for peformance but a K&N is good because it is a re-useable and last pretty much the life of the car/truck.

if you want performance go to a tuner and get the ECM tuned for faster shifts at higher revs and adavance the timing for better performance make sure you go to laicensed Dyno tuner no chip e-bay $20 doller stuff i am talking diablo sport tuner
DiabloSport knows Mustangs. As the title sponsor of the National Mustang Racing Associations Pro 5.0 Class, we have extensive experience tuning mustangs on the road and tracks! The Predator for Mustangs adds 15-20 Rear Wheel Horse Power / Ft. Lbs Tq to stock Mustang applications and is designed to give users the ability to calibrate for most bolt-ons street set ups right out of the box, no custom tuning needed! For vehicles with superchargers, turbo chargers, or extensive engine work, DiabloSport has you covered with custom tuning capabilities from our nationwide network of CMR custom tuning dealers!

Predator Diablo Tuning Key Features:
• Exclusive! 300% larger backlit screen
• Exclusive! Fastest re-tuning times on market
• Exclusive! Predator Performance Tunes Re-Map:
• Fuel curves (user adjustable +/-5%)
• Timing curves (user adjustable +/- 10%)
• Extend speed limiters
• Extend rev limiters (not on all models)
• Part and full throttle shift points (except manual transmissions
• Shift timing (except manual transmissions)
• Shift pressure (except manual transmissions)
• Speedometer (user calibration for gear and tire size changes)
• Exclusive! Custom tunes & updates through Internet
• Exclusive! Re-tune vehicles after factory re-flash of PCM
• Exclusive! Live data monitoring
• No computer skills required, installs easily
• Performance tunes require super unleaded/premium grade fuel only (Amoco or Mobil if possible)
• Limited lifetime warranty

they are $400 plus the cost of a licensed performance shop with a dyno to tune it for best performance so $650-$700 when all is said and done but get the CAI installed and some nice S/S hiflow cats and aftermarket performce exhaust done first before tuning for maximum gains in HP and TQ numbers
that is if you plan on some basic mild bolt on mods. if you want to make real gains forced induction is the only real way to get some serious numbers plus a supercharged fusion would make a wicked little sleeper

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-25-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
they are useless for peformance but a K&N is good because it is a re-useable and last pretty much the life of the car/truck.

if you want performance go to a tuner and get the ECM tuned for faster shifts at higher revs and adavance the timing for better performance make sure you go to laicensed Dyno tuner no chip e-bay $20 doller stuff i am talking diablo sport tuner
DiabloSport knows Mustangs.
Dude, he has a Ford Fusion. There's probably only a handful of parts available for this car if that - this intake isn't even available yet. You've already gotten him moved on to tuning chips and superchargers.

The typical tuner recipe is to start at the ends and work your way towards the engine. Doing a catback exhaust (after the intake) would be my next step. Again, you won't see but a few horsepower, but the sound and character of the car will change dramatically. Finding one may be hard, or maybe just an axleback - but the they can be pricey (expect about $800 for a catback for a car that doesn't have much support in the aftermarket) but they are a lot better then a cheap muffler shop job that uses crush bends instead of a mandrel. Once you go beyond that like downpipes/headers, high flow cats, forced induction (superchargers/turbo chargers/nitrous), engine management (fuel computers/"Chips"/etc) you run more risk of voiding your powertrain warranty, throwing CELs, and risk causing major damage.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
DH also bought a tuner for the Raptor....Def helps adding a little more power. Our son also used a tuner for his 2011 Jeep Wrangler...He also swears by it.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
It depends upon the car as many new cars have excellent intake designs where an aftermarket unit will offer little more than more intake noise. Like most things in life you have to study the situation before you decide.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I checked out the Steeda Fusion website. Steeda Autosports | Ford Fusion Performance & Appearance Products They have the induction system, cat-back exhaust system, tuning computer, chassis stuff, etc. Most of the stuff is uber-pricey. If all it's going to do is "dress up" the car, I might as well not fork over that kind of cash.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Nah, looks to me they have the dynos to back up what they are saying. 12hp from an intake is about as good as it gets on a N/A car with a small engine.

25hp with the tuner is pretty good too, that's power you can feel. +10 hp and $750 for a catback is reasonable too. All in all those are decent gains. +35hp for ~$1500 is a pretty good deal on what is basically a commuter platform.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
If I put on a couple Super 40's, wouldn't that be better than the two stock mufflers? I guess what I am asking is, if the tubing is already there, why buy the cat-back system? Just change out the muff's. What am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive