Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times

Advertisements

It depends on the car and application. On many new vehicles where computers control everything it may hurt performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
The Vararam I put in my 2005 GTO uses the hood scoops, so in that aspect it's getting cooler air much of the year than from the OEM. Some people say that the "ram air" effect doesn't take place below 130 MPH, so since I seldom drive that fast, I'm not getting any benefit there. But there is a definite difference when it's cooler than when I was using the OEM setup. And it looks cooler and is rarer than most of the CAI's for my car. The dyno test from Vararam says it adds 16 HP at the wheels, but on top of 350+HP, it's hard to say if it shaves any real time on the 1/4.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
If I put on a couple Super 40's, wouldn't that be better than the two stock mufflers? I guess what I am asking is, if the tubing is already there, why buy the cat-back system? Just change out the muff's. What am I missing here?
The less backpressure your exhaust has, the better. Backpressure=restriction=less power, it's that simple. The one area that is not true, is in the exhaust manifold primary tubes. If these are too big, they have no flow velocity to scavenge gases out of the cylinder, which can reduce power, but once it gets through the manifold and past the cat, it doesn't matter, too small is just a restriction, and too big is just a waste of money, but does not hurt power production.

For some reason, the factory just can't seem to install a good exhaust system. This is true no matter what kind of car you buy; even on a Corvette, the exhaust is the first thing to be replaced. In this era of catalytic converters, you have to be careful about what you replace and when; however, cat-back systems (everything downstream of the catalytic converters) are always fair game.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Wouldn't be a good idea to install a cold air intake at the same time as a
Higher flowing exhaust system? Why do street racer tuners start with the engine while ignoring the brakes and suspension? If I'm street racing (instead of drag racing on a legal track) I'd make sure to enlarge the rotors, disc, anti-sway bars, and tires as well as changing out suspension components to ones that can handle the stress and a tower brace. Once I have the stopping power and cornering ability, then I'd look to increasing horsepower. High horsepower is useless if your factory brakes can't stop the car in time to make the curve or avoid a crash.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wouldn't be a good idea to install a cold air intake at the same time as a
Higher flowing exhaust system? Why do street racer tuners start with the engine while ignoring the brakes and suspension? If I'm street racing (instead of drag racing on a legal track) I'd make sure to enlarge the rotors, disc, anti-sway bars, and tires as well as changing out suspension components to ones that can handle the stress and a tower brace. Once I have the stopping power and cornering ability, then I'd look to increasing horsepower. High horsepower is useless if your factory brakes can't stop the car in time to make the curve or avoid a crash.
If it's in the budget, yes, this is what one would want to do. In my case, the CAI was less than $300, while headers/high flow cats/mufflers are fast approaching $2k, so I haven't spent the bigger bucks to upgrade the exhaust, besides some Magnaflows and an H-pipe. For many people going faster in a straight line is far more important than being able to stop and turn better.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I checked out the Steeda Fusion website. Steeda Autosports | Ford Fusion Performance & Appearance Products They have the induction system, cat-back exhaust system, tuning computer, chassis stuff, etc. Most of the stuff is uber-pricey. If all it's going to do is "dress up" the car, I might as well not fork over that kind of cash.
well I would get Steeda's Fusion Handling Pak and Steeda Front Subframe X-Brace first and you will put the power to the ground and increase handling in corners and make the car fun to drive.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If it's in the budget, yes, this is what one would want to do. In my case, the CAI was less than $300, while headers/high flow cats/mufflers are fast approaching $2k, so I haven't spent the bigger bucks to upgrade the exhaust, besides some Magnaflows and an H-pipe. For many people going faster in a straight line is far more important than being able to stop and turn better.
Which probably helps to explain the deaths involved in street racing.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
First and foremost, I do NOT street race. Those days are long over for me. I am too old (34) to be messing around with that crap.

Next, I want to do this slowly. I am in no rush. I also want to do it right and I will be starting with working under the car first. Brakes will be re-done for sure. I am partial to Hawk Performance brakes. Not sure if any of you have heard of them. Their pads are second to none. I will do the intake, tuning computer and exhaust last. I really do appreciate all the tips. To be honest, the very first thing I am going to do is tint the windows. The Fusion (for some reason) looks weird without tint.

Of course at the end, I could always take the easy way out and go Nos. Not sure if the car itself, even with the performance parts, could handle it.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
First and foremost, I do NOT street race. Those days are long over for me. I am too old (34) to be messing around with that crap.

Next, I want to do this slowly. I am in no rush. I also want to do it right and I will be starting with working under the car first. Brakes will be re-done for sure. I am partial to Hawk Performance brakes. Not sure if any of you have heard of them. Their pads are second to none. I will do the intake, tuning computer and exhaust last. I really do appreciate all the tips. To be honest, the very first thing I am going to do is tint the windows. The Fusion (for some reason) looks weird without tint.

Of course at the end, I could always take the easy way out and go Nos. Not sure if the car itself, even with the performance parts, could handle it.
it took me 4 years to do my car and 6 years to do my truck and alot of $$$ to do it and the best thing is to know what you want you car to be in the end. I would go with better handling and braking performce instead of going for HP.

as for nitrous using nitrous increases the pressure inside the cylinder. nitrous nowadays is pretty reliable with a good kit that is properly installed. Engines blow up when nitrous is not applied properly

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times
If you have the money and only want bolt on upgrades I would do the exhaust over the intake. Noticeably gains. Headers, piping, and muffler.

Just don't add stickers, a body kit, and a wing like most Honda guys do because then you will get laughed at.

You can have a nice clean car with an exhaust thats not too loud.
Intake's are nearly pointless unless you do the intake, intake manifold and a larger throttle body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive