U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times

Advertisements

I bet 95% of the people who claim cold air intake added power to their vehicle are relying on the "butt dyno." Unquestionably the CAI improves the sound of most engines, but hp improvements are rarely backed up by real measurements.

It sounds throatier - therefore it must be faster, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM

30,879 posts, read 24,200,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You can read all over the internet that COI's can give you HP and torque gains. True or is it snake oil? Worth the money? Also, will it void out a warranty?
do cold air induction kits work? yes they do. how well they work depends on how restrictive the stock intake is, most are pretty bad. you can pick up on average 8-15hp, and a couple mpg.

there are things you need to consider though;

1: how much are you willing to pay for minor gains in economy and power?

2: can you do things for yourself, or do you need to pay someone to do even minor things?

if you can do for yourself, then there are do it yourself universal kits that are cheaper than vehicle specific kits, and you can even make your own CAI that will do as well as aftermarket kits will. personally i would build my own CAI system rather than spend the money the aftermarket wants for the minor gains.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
do cold air induction kits work? yes they do. how well they work depends on how restrictive the stock intake is, most are pretty bad. you can pick up on average 8-15hp, and a couple mpg.

there are things you need to consider though;

1: how much are you willing to pay for minor gains in economy and power?

2: can you do things for yourself, or do you need to pay someone to do even minor things?

if you can do for yourself, then there are do it yourself universal kits that are cheaper than vehicle specific kits, and you can even make your own CAI that will do as well as aftermarket kits will. personally i would build my own CAI system rather than spend the money the aftermarket wants for the minor gains.

To answer your questions:

1. I am willing to pay up to a point. That point is...???

2. I can do most of the mods myself. Things like an intake, sway bar, tower brace, etc are all extremely easy add-on's. Now putting on the exhaust system is a different story. I don't have a lift or welding gear.

Also, I noticed Steeda offers a throttle body spacer. Waste a time to buy one?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
To answer your questions:

1. I am willing to pay up to a point. That point is...???

2. I can do most of the mods myself. Things like an intake, sway bar, tower brace, etc are all extremely easy add-on's. Now putting on the exhaust system is a different story. I don't have a lift or welding gear.

Also, I noticed Steeda offers a throttle body spacer. Waste a time to buy one?
waste of time uless you get a bigger throttle body

if you do keep it after warranty getting the intake manifold ported and polished with a bigger throttle body and spacer plate and CAI would give some better airflow then tackle the exhuat I am sure there will be a aftermarket headers from FRPP or BBK and a hi-flow cat and a nice borla catback S/S exhaust would give you some HP but you would need the steeda tuner to get it set up right but do that after you upgrade the suspensin I mean I still say the two thing I would get first are the Steeda's Fusion Handling Pak and Steeda Front Subframe X-Brace

Steeda's Fusion Handling Pak provides a complete, balanced solution which improves the looks and performance all for a reduced price over purchasing the items individually.
The handling pack includes Steeda Sport Springs, Strut tower brace, rear swaybar, and Tokico shocks and struts. This combination of parts will lower your Fusion 1.4 inches improving the looks, reduce body roll and nosedive for improved handling and braking while maintaining great ride quality. All in one complete package.

Steeda Front Subframe X-Brace
Stiffen your chassis where it needs it. Achieve better handling by allowing your suspension to do its job instead of the chassis flexing first. The Fusion front subframe is designed in the form of a square with no cross supports. The diagonal X of the Steeda brace extends across the sub frame and eliminates the parallelogram affect high loads may cause, unlike the competition, which reinforces the already stout rear leg of the sub frame. In addition, the Steeda brace ties together the two front lower control arm mounts to distribute lateral load under hard cornering. Steeda Engineers designed this support from super strong and light 4130 Chrome molly steel material. Braces are silver powder coated and come with mounting hardware.
Product Benefits:
  • Improved vehicle handling
  • Reduced chassis flex
  • High quality chrome-moly construction - Made in the USA

Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
also check out this site and this will cost a bit but it is worth it:
Brembo Gran Turismo Drilled Brake Kit

Features
  • The Brembo Gran Turismo Drilled Brake System is a complete braking kit that's custom-designed for demanding performance in your vehicle
  • Proven and tested against Brembo's world-leading standards to ensure success in both high-performance and street driving
  • Brembo Gran Turismo Drilled Brake Systems provide high-speed braking performance time after time by constantly keeping the performance pad surface fresh
  • Engineered with a floating disc mounting system and a billet aluminum hat to reduce "unsprung weight" for lower temperatures, better handling and diminished heat-related stress
  • Brembo Gran Turismo Brakes' floating disc design also contributes to braking power and enhances pedal feel
  • Includes all parts for a complete braking rebuild: cross-drilled discs, aluminum calipers, braided stainless steel brake lines, long-lasting aggressive-performance pads and pre-torqued aircraft-quality hardware
  • Brembo Gran Turismo Drilled Brake Systems are built lightweight for maximum overall vehicle performance
  • Integrated directional vane design vacuums heat out and away from the braking system for part life and performance gains
  • Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Systems use four, six or eight-piston cast aluminum calipers (depending on your vehicle) that provide maximum braking force without the flex of sliding calipers
  • A selection of four Brembo caliper colors is available: Red, Black, Yellow and Silver
  • Brembo Brakes are fully compatible with the stock master cylinder and ABS components
  • Installation time totals 1-1.5 hours per axle on most vehicles; 4WD vehicles may take longer for switching out the knuckles with included high-performance replacements
  • Brembo Gran Turismo Brakes from AutoAnything ship pre-assembled where possible for smooth installation (see note below)
  • Sold in front and rear pairs when available
  • Backed by a 2-year warranty
an after you save some more cuase car mods are expensive and take years to do put this would be the cat-back system that I would get and it is made for the 3.0 fusion
http://www.autoanything.com/images/products/schem/borla/med/borla_exhaust_140184.jpg (broken link)
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A3306339.aspx
Features
  • Borla Performance Cat-Back exhaust systems are custom crafted for your specific vehicle
  • Borla Cat-Back systems and mufflers generate maximum exhaust flow and the distinctive Borla Sound of Power
  • Each system is built entirely from aerospace-grade T-304 stainless steel—inside and out
  • Borla's mandrel-bent tubing eliminates excessive back-pressure and provides a smooth exit for spent gasses
  • Free-flowing Borla exhaust systems bolster horsepower and torque and can also increase fuel economy
  • Kits feature Borla's patented multi-core and straight-through muffler designs
  • Your Borla system installs directly to your vehicle's factory-exhaust mounting locations
  • All kits include the required clamps, connectors and hardware—everything you need for a hassle-free installation
  • Every Borla exhaust is extensively tuned and tested to optimize vehicle performance
  • Borla Cat-Backs are street legal in all 50 states and will not void your vehicle's factory warranty
  • Your Cat-Back performance exhaust system is backed by Borla's Million-Mile Warranty
Description

Bolt up Borla’s Performance Cat-Back exhaust system and take aim for the winner’s circle. Borla equipped racers have earned more victory laps than any other exhaust brand—making Borla the number-one choice for championship racing teams around the globe.

For nearly 30 years Borla’s been perfecting the performance exhaust system. Custom mandrel-bends, 100% stainless-steel construction and patented muffler designs prime your vehicle for full-throttle doses of sound, power and flow.

Precision craftsmanship means each Borla kit easily mounts to the original exhaust locations. Of course, that’s the only thing your new system shares with the factory clunker. Borla performance exhausts use vehicle-specific engineering to deliver maximum performance and an unmistakable tone.

A Borla Cat-Back is the only way to give your ride the Borla Sound of Power and a race-winning performance rush. What’s more, Borla covers your Cat-Back system with an amazing Million-Mile Warranty.

and for you CAI go for the K&N version since it is not about power but for looks and sound really
http://www.autoanything.com/images/products/med/air_intake_systems/k%26n_69_series.jpg?Lo0P=3e99adc3a485e8184551d3b2b 582369e11454 (broken link)
Features
  • The K&N Typhoon Air Intake System amps-up the power of your sport compact ride
  • Custom-engineered for your specific year, make and model auto
  • K&N Typhoon Air Intake Systems add up to 15 horsepower for pavement-ripping performance
  • Built for the specs of your vehicle in one of 3 distinct styles:
  • Short Ram: the shortest possible intake tube for forcing masses of air into your engine
  • Cold Air Intake: a longer intake tube running to your wheel well for the coolest air possible
  • Complete Cold Air Intake: two intake tube sections that can be configured as a Short Ram or Cold Air Intake for extreme versatility
  • The K&N Typhoon Air Intake System comes in your choice of finishes: powder-coat Red, Blue or Silver, or pure Polished