U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 PM

659 posts, read 2,654,267 times

Advertisements

Today on my way home from work, my 99 Honda Civic started making a really loud rumbling noise (like an airplane) whenever I step on the gas. This started happening within a few minutes after driving. When I take my foot off, it's normal. I'm taking it in tomorrow (hopefully I'll make it there) but...any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM

12,925 posts, read 8,451,425 times
Have you checked to see if you still have a muffler or catalitic converter?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Have you checked to see if you still have a muffler or catalitic converter?
As in, maybe one just fell off? I did hit a small dip right before this happened, but nothing extreme. I don't know what either looks like or where they even are...I know nothing. Does it sound like a muffler problem? I just had the muffler replaced 2 months ago and it's under warranty so I'm hoping that's what it is. But the sound seems to be coming from the front of the car. Or maybe all over. I don't know, it's just really loud...basically sounds like one of those cars that zooms by on the street that is obnoxiously loud.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 PM

5,366 posts, read 8,779,156 times
From what's been described it does seem to be an exhaust leak. Could be that when the muffler was replaced there were other parts of the exhaust pipe that were equally worn and just about to let go. Your car is 12 or 13 years old now and an exhaust pipe won't last forever. It's underneath the car and goes from the engine to the rear bumper. Generally they rust out and exhaust air from the engine (which is LOUD - and also dangerous to breath) will escape before it reaches the muffler which is beneath the trunk.

The exhaust system is made up of quite a few pieces of steel that are welded or bolted together. You could have a broken weld or bolt, a bad piece of pipe or a bad catalytic converter. Your car will run ok for now. It's just going to sound obnoxious. It's good that you're getting it looked at tomorrow. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks guys. Any idea how much money I should be looking at so I don't get ripped off? I know no one is sure exactly what's wrong, but maybe a ballpark range?

This happened so suddenly today that I feel like I must have hit something on the bottom to create this problem. But it is good to know that I should be able to at least drive it a few miles to the mechanic. Funny thing is (well it will be funny later) I had literally JUST driven it home from the shop when this happened, I had some leaves in my fan blower. I was relieved that it was only that, happy with not having to get anything replaced. Then this happens 10 minutes later. Swell!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,496,163 times
Those cars (son has one) are notorious for developing cracked exhaust manifolds. They cant be welded and a new one is around 200 bucks at the parts store . If the noise is loudest when you first crank the cold engine this is a definite indicator. Labor for the repair is something I cant answer, but its not a one hour job even for a pro.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Those cars (son has one) are notorious for developing cracked exhaust manifolds. They cant be welded and a new one is around 200 bucks at the parts store . If the noise is loudest when you first crank the cold engine this is a definite indicator. Labor for the repair is something I cant answer, but its not a one hour job even for a pro.

You were right about the leaves in the fan blower, I can only hope you aren't right about this one, haha.

Question though--you said if this is the problem, a good indicator would be that it would be loudest when I first crank the engine on a cold start--but what if it actually doesn't do it if I just crank the engine--only when I press on the gas pedal? Any difference there? I thought Civics were supposed to be great cars...I've had it for 4 months and this will be the 4th time I'll be taking it to the shop, grr! Yes, it's old but only has 122,000 miles on it, so I feel like it shouldn't be completely falling apart when everything that should be replaced at a certain mileage has been taken care of. Oh well, next time I'll get a new car.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Sorry if I'm being annoying, but it can't hurt to ask...my mechanic is about 11 miles away from where I'm at now. Would it be better to take the freeway or side streets or would that make a difference? I don't want to potentially ruin anything further.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 AM

12,925 posts, read 8,451,425 times
Before you go, check all your fluids to make sure they are good. If you have an owners manual, it will tell you how to do it, if not check the web. As for your exhaust, look at your tailpipe, you will see a small pipe coming out the backend of the vehicle. Follow it, you will have to get on the ground to do it. The first big box you come to is the muffler, the second box will be the catalitic coverter, from there it goes to the engine. Use a flashlight to see if you have any cracks or anything is missing. As for the trip, if your fluids are good, it should be no problem either way.

As for your problems, your car may not have been taken care of and the owner got rid of it because they know it had problems. Don't blame Honda for a badly taken care of car, blame the previous owner.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM

You're right--I think the last owner did drive it like a maniac since this has all been exterior stuff, and looks like the bumper was taken off at one point and not put on the right way. But, it was looked at completely right when we bought it to make sure everything was good. Mechanic replaced belts, pumps, etc, and told us it was otherwise in great shape. What can you do.

The car is in the shop right now. He asked me to turn it on, and after about two seconds, told me he was going to take it to the welding shop to figure it out. Don't know if he knows exactly what it is or not, he won't ever say anything until he's absolutely sure. Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive