U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

10,149 posts, read 18,131,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm still pretty amazed people have such a strong opinion on this. You want to drive a manual? Go ahead. You want to drive an automatic? Go ahead.

Well for some odd reason some people think driving a standard shift is a sign of superior virtue and people will always have strong opinions on virtue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM

32,556 posts, read 17,650,891 times
Default Why are manual transmission vehicles unpopular in the USA?

Lots of "work" vehicles (trucks of various types, vans, etc) are manual transmissions. But for the past 30 years or so, individual vehicles have been overwhelmingly automatics. Having owned several examples of both types over the years, I can see the plus and minus aspects of both. I think for the type of driving most folks do most often, the auto is more convenient and makes good sense. For specific applications the manual is better, but most drivers don't need it.

When my kids were teens, I made sure they both learned to drive my 5-spd pickup. I'll do the same for grandkids someday.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM

25,829 posts, read 49,712,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Actually, any car, carburetor or EFI, with a completely drained battery won't be able to be push started. And it has to do with the alternator. It needs to have its field coil energized before it can produce electricity. And without electricity, you have no spark.

Older cars (early 1960's and earlier) with a DC generator should be able to start, even with a 100% dead battery.
Don't leave out those of us with Magneatos...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM

575 posts, read 800,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm still pretty amazed people have such a strong opinion on this. You want to drive a manual? Go ahead. You want to drive an automatic? Go ahead.
I think what many people who like to drive a stick shift are griping about is the fact that many cars these days don't come with a manual shift option. I agree with you, but apparently the car companies want to see us all buy expensive automatic transmissions that will fail in 4-5 years (see acura).

I think more people would trade their automatic for stick shift once they realize repair costs are less for a manual shift then for an automatic.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I think what many people who like to drive a stick shift are griping about is the fact that many cars these days don't come with a manual shift option.
I agree with this, but cause and effect seems backwards.

Quote:
I agree with you, but apparently the car companies want to see us all buy expensive automatic transmissions that will fail in 4-5 years (see acura).
Car companies only care that they are selling what, well, sells. And for the longest time, since automatics were additional cost luxury items, and manuals were base level standard transmissions, resale values were higher on automatics, so buyers wanted automatics so they held theri value. Dealers wanted to stock automatics as they made a higher profit on them, and since buyers wanted the higher resale value (and easier resale) then everyone was happy.

Except for those of us that like good manual transmissions.

So, automatics kind of trended toward being standard, much like p[ower accessories, and luxury trim like leather. If we had been buying a crapload of manuals as a country, then automakers woudl sell them here. But we don't, not due to laziness, but due to a form of avarice.

Quote:
I think more people would trade their automatic for stick shift once they realize repair costs are less for a manual shift then for an automatic.
No. Most initial buyers never have to deal with the costs of repairing a n automatic during the car's first 3 years of life, when the factories care about it. A factory doesn't care about the used car buyer, or the 2nd/3rd owner once it leaves warranty. They want to give the initial buyer the options and resale value that those buyers want, and those buyers overwhemingly choose the higher resale value of added luxury content, like automatics.

But even then, automatics can easily last as long as anything else. My daily driver has 180k miles on it's original automatic WITH it's original fluid (sealed system). My Range Rover is at 95k miles with it's original automatic and original fluid. neither has needed any repairs (if the one in the BMW fails, I'll just replace it with a used one for a couple hundred bucks, instead of spending the $3k on converting it to a manual)

Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM

241 posts, read 355,694 times
A car is for transportation. To get from A to B. That's why they were first built and that's why they are still built. Driving a car should not require an extra effort other than putting the car in drive and hitting the gas. Being able to swtich gears and work the clutch along with the gas is cool but it will NOT get you to your destination any faster or safer than an automatic.

For these reasons most Americans drive automatics. We like to multi-task in our vehicles (drink coffee, talk on phone, play with radio) and manuals simply don't allow you to do this.

Unless you are driving a car for performance then a stick is pointless.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
A car is for transportation. To get from A to B. That's why they were first built and that's why they are still built. Driving a car should not require an extra effort other than putting the car in drive and hitting the gas. Being able to swtich gears and work the clutch along with the gas is cool but it will NOT get you to your destination any faster or safer than an automatic.

For these reasons most Americans drive automatics. We like to multi-task in our vehicles (drink coffee, talk on phone, play with radio) and manuals simply don't allow you to do this.

Unless you are driving a car for performance then a stick is pointless.
Isn't this sort of like saying "food is to supply nutrients. Food should be as simple as eating things that supply nutrients necessary to sustain life. Food that tastes good is cool, but will NOT make you live longer or live better." Or..."Clothes are to cover up our naughty bits and keep us warm. Clothes that look good are cool but will NOT do a better job of covering naughty bits and protecting us from the elements than practical, inexpensive beige cloth."

Etc.

I wouldn't say a stick is "pointless." Perhaps to many people, yes, it is. And that is fine. But clearly, according to respondents to this thread, quite a few people prefer to have something that's a little more "fun" than simply a conveyance to get from A to B.

If that was the only salient point, then leather v cloth seats, AC v no AC, type of sound system, color and stylng, power steering v non power steering, etc and etc would be similarly pointless. No? Would you be happy with a Trabant instead of what you currently drive? If so I submit you're probably in the minority, but it will get you from A to B.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Every car my parents have owned (in this country - my dad can drive a stick) has been an automatic. They have driven them all into the ground without once having a transmission problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
We like to multi-task in our vehicles (drink coffee, talk on phone, play with radio) and manuals simply don't allow you to do this.
PS: I drink coffee, fool with the radio, sometimes talk on the phone, roll smokes and even eat while driving a stick shift. It is not rocket science! I even did all of that (except replace talking on the phone with talking on the CB radio) when I drove a truck; 80,000 lbs and 18 speeds. I'm a petite little female and still managed it. Nope, no accidents.

If you're not proficient with driving a manual, then I suppose it can seem daunting.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I wouldn't say a stick is "pointless." Perhaps to many people, yes, it is. And that is fine. But clearly, according to respondents to this thread, quite a few people prefer to have something that's a little more "fun" than simply a conveyance to get from A to B.
Well, I prefer a car that's a lot more fun than boring basic transportation, but enough boring basic transportation over the years have had standard transmissions, and enough really fun cars have had good automatics that the fun can indeed (and usually is) separate from the mechanism that changes gears (considereing handling, braking, overall acceleleration, and everything that goes into fun driving). See those videos of my RX7 as an example of massive amounts of fun without a stick shift, and high speed indoor karts that are massive driving fun without shifting of any sort.

Most of the respondents to this thread are convinced that wiggling theri left foot ocasionally is the sum total of what makes driving fun, and I submit that whilt it can be a compionent of it, it's not the largest part of it, and can prove it by process of elimination:

Try driving down a tristy backroad in that V8 RX7 that pulled over 1 G and had a built up automatic, or in my H&R suspended BMW 7 series. Pretty fun. Now do the same twisty road in your favorite manual transmission car, but eliminate the steering wheel.

I prefer a good manual transmission, but I'm not going to make, or allow to stand, assertions of absolutes, or statements of quantitative comparisons when there are none, when it comes to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive