U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
LOL @ the chest-beating, Emerald...I'd rep you but I guess I'm out of rep points for the day.
Heh, bummer. I'll pretend I got the rep from you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Merc I don't know how to do the point by point answer thingie you got going there.
Oh, that's simple. Quote reply, then type in {quote} {/quote} with the [ and ] brackets around the bits you want to reply to.

Quote:
By "big floaty boats" I was thinking of Buick, Olds, Lincoln, full-sized vans... I have a good friend with a late-90s Lincoln in gorgeous condition...I admit I enjoy driving her car! It's so very plush and quiet. I wouldn't go out and buy one but it is really nice to drive. For a while I dated a GM engineer, he was given a newer company car to drive every couple of months and I always talked him into letting me drive. I must say, I was really impressed with the Cadillac CTS, for a big luxe car it felt very connected to the road and handled great.
I have little interest in them, either, though I've had a few ('65 Lincoln, '85 Fleetwood Brougham) But it's not the automatic I'm not a fan of. I'm a hot rodder and a sports car fanatic, and those cars are gneereally too unresponsive in stock form for me. But, i kow thay can be tweaked to be really cool (I'd take another '63-65 lincoln in a heartbeat, but as a cruiser)

Quote:
By "no interest in the history of..." I wasn't inferring that it was irrelevant to the discussion, simply that I had no personal interest. Or knowledge. I am not a gearhead. I am a little middle-aged woman who has driven extensively on several continents (middle east - Turkey, Egypt, a lot in Israel - several countries in Europe; I lived there, USA and Mexico), drove a semi for a living all over the US and Canada, and generally really enjoys driving. That's all. I don't even change my own oil - I can, but I don't. I've never raced or anything like that, although I always thought it would be a blast!
I always say, knowledge is king. Learning new things can change how you see them, and how your opinion of them is. That's scary for some people so when I bring up something to show how opinions got formed over time and that discussion is dismissed, it says to me " I don't want to learn anythingnew because I'm afraid of losing the things I like due to new knowledge." Too many people seem to do that. I like to learn new things, get clarity on things I know a little about, and enjoy, and if it changes my opinion on them, that's a good thing, because it means I've learned more about that subject.

I see that this may not apply to you so please, don't take it as an insult to you in this case.

Quote:
I have not driven a modded automatic, no.
You really should in order to understand that what you think automatics can and can't do is limited. They are definitlely capable of so much more than the average rental minivan.

Quote:
I've always said I could be a real car snob if I could afford it, LOL. Practicality trumps having a really cool car (I paint houses, I do dog shows and events with large dogs) and my last really cool car was a 2000 Saab Viggen, one of about 420 imported that year. I sold it in 2004 so I could pay cash for a house. (I don't know whether to out a smiley or sad-face emoticon there!)
I couldn't afford to buy cool cars when I was younger, so I learned to build them. And the ones I could afford always neede work, so I also learned to work on them, which gave me a greater understanding and appreciation for all things mechanical, not just manual transmissions. Rebuilding a racing automatic when you are 16 will do that for you...

My BMW, pictured in my albums was bought used at 143k miles for dirt cheap and built it up to where it is. Its automatic is outstanding, and it's ability to navigate twisty back roads is also astounding. It feels smaller and more agile the faster you go, and never floaty or boaty like those lincolns and cadillacks, even though it's the same size.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,907,480 times
I went to the Honda dealer the other day. I wanted to check out a civic with a manual. They didn't have any. The salesman told me that only 9% of all Hondas would be available in the US with a manual. They were stocking up on used ones to sell customers interested in a manual.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
Quote:
I always say, knowledge is king. Learning new things can change how you see them, and how your opinion of them is. That's scary for some people so when I bring up something to show how opinions got formed over time and that discussion is dismissed, it says to me " I don't want to learn anythingnew because I'm afraid of losing the things I like due to new knowledge." Too many people seem to do that. I like to learn new things, get clarity on things I know a little about, and enjoy, and if it changes my opinion on them, that's a good thing, because it means I've learned more about that subject.

I see that this may not apply to you so please, don't take it as an insult to you in this case.
That's cool. I have deep knowledge of several everyday things; cars just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Quote:
You really should in order to understand that what you think automatics can and can't do is limited. They are definitlely capable of so much more than the average rental minivan.
I wasn't stating absolutes and am happy to get more edumacated! Was just working the the knowledge available to me at the time, and surely appreciate the feedback provided by several people in this thread.

I enjoy driving and have enjoyed the several very nice sports cars I've owned. I even learned (back when I was really poor and had no choice) to do a lot of basic repairs and maintenance. Don't have an overly mechanical bent, no interest in building or working on my cars if I don't have to. I enjoy plumbing and a dry house and a computer that works, but am quite happy to pay plumbers and roofers and computer geeks to remain plumbed and dry and online. If I had to learn, I could and would....people pay me to do things that they don't want to or can't do for themselves and that's great.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM

396 posts, read 1,027,568 times
I prefer a standard, but living in NYC, driving it would be a nightmare so I choose a car with paddle shifters instead. A lot of people here don't learn to drive a standard because A) Most high school driver ed courses do not teach students how to drive a standard automobile B) the amount of automatic cars on the market eclipses the amount of standard and C) many people can not master switching gears, changing the radio and eating McDonalds while driving a roundabout that the same time.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
I prefer manual transmissions always have. I have had small pickup trucks for years, and I never seem to want an automatic transmission in the trucks. My next vehicle will be a car. I have enjoyed having trucks, but at this point in my life I think I would like a car now I will get an automatic at that time.

I can't say why manual transmissions are unpopular in this country. For me I grew up with them and lived in Europe part of my life. Manual transmissions are very common in Europe. In fact you will find some Europeans not all, that have no familarity at all with driving an automatic vehicle.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 AM

5 posts, read 4,713 times
manual transmisson is better then auto

Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
Hello! First of all I'm not from USA so I'm sorry for my bad english. Secondly I'm sorry if my post will be a little offtopic, but I hope that maybe someone will enjoy reading story such as mine, which is about manual transmissions after all. I have read the whole topic about manual transmission gear unpopularity in US. I was always wondering why are you all using only automatic, and when I realized that even in driving schools and on driving exams you are using automatic too I was simply schocked I live in the eastern Europe. In a post-communist country, which fortunately gained its freedom after 1989. After WW2 cars were very expensive here, many people were using only motorcycles or/and public transport. First cars created and/or imported to my country were available only with manual transmission. Automatic was just too expensive, and maybe too capitalistic in eyes of our eastern big brother. After many years we were using only manual, many just did not know that there exist something like automatic. After 1989 some of the richest citizens were importing western cars, maybe some of them with automatic but that was minority. As for 2000 year I met only one car with automatic gear - my father's Mazda 323 which he held for maybe one year. Now, in 2011 I still have no experience with driving automatic (the only time was in my father's Mazda 323, but I don't remember that very well). I saw my friend's Ford equipped with auto, but besides that I met only manual gears. In our driving schools we are learning how to drive manual only for years, but I heard that recently some schools in big cities are offering two hours of driving automatic and then person trying to accuire driving license can choose between manual or automatic transmission gear on his/her exam. But when that person chooses automatic, he or she will get licence only for cars with automatic gear. Here almost all cars are equipped with manuals, so everyone is choosing manual option for exam, which allow driving both manual and automatic. Drivers here often says that manual is the only true transmission gear, which allows to full control of the vehicle and the automatic is only for lazy or inexperienced Americans. I completely disagree with that, I think that they are all saying that because they just have no choice, they are forced to drive manual and they are saying such things in order to feel better (drivers here are usually driving in very dangerous way, thinking that they are formula 1 drivers Their low skills often results in crashes of course, but in their opinion such a crash is someone else's fault. Many here never met automatic, and disknowledge is mainly reason to dislike automatic. I would love to have my first car with automatic transmission. Now I'm driving my father's jeep with manual, and sometimes I'm really tired with all those changing gears when in the middle of the crossroad etc. Manual is actually usefull when riding offroad, but for normal driving on the streets I would choose only automatic. I see no reason for fitting our European vehicles still with manuals. Maybe just drivers wants those? That recalls me situation with closed or open canopies in fighter planes for Reggia Aeronautica in 30s and 40s. It's obvious, that closed canopy offers better wind protection and has impact of streamline. But pilots wanted their planes to have open canopies and forced factories to build fighters with open one. Maybe that was their habit gained for years of flying without canopies in their old biplanes? I think the same is here, in Europe. Many would still choose (if given an option) manual, because of tradition and experience with manual. Maybe after driving manual for so many years they really have better control of their vehicle? I think that the question should be not why manuals are so unpopular in USA, but why automatic are so unpopular elsewhere else? Best regards

Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
When I bought my Camaro (back in 1995) they told me that they could not get one with a manual transmission unless I also wanted leather seats (which I did not want, I hate leather). They had not one with a manual transmission on the lot. I could not figure out why someone would pay for the Z28 upgrade and then put an automatic transmission in it. I told them to forget it and suddenly they were able to get one but it took three weeks.

It is not much fun to drive a manual in stop and go traffic. If you live in or near LA I can understand why you would not want a manual unless it was not a daily driver.

I always get manual transmissions. I feel more in control and it keeps me more focused on driving because I have to do things. When cars drive themselves and yuo just sit there and surf the internet while you travel, I will probably go with automatic.

My wife drives full sized vans. I would not one one of those with a manual transmission. I am not sure about a truck. I did get an automatic when I have a pick up, but that was all that I could find. Does anyone actually buy manual F-150s?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Does anyone actually buy manual F-150s?
Most half-ton trucks today are going to be automatics unless it's a stripped down model. You see more manuals in 3/4 and 1-ton trucks because they are often used to haul heavy loads or pull trailers, in which case the manual works better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive