U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,502,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Most half-ton trucks today are going to be automatics unless it's a stripped down model. You see more manuals in 3/4 and 1-ton trucks because they are often used to haul heavy loads or pull trailers, in which case the manual works better.
Actually an automatic, especially the Allison automatic in the big GM trucks, works stunning for towing heavy loads. I have an automatic in my Chevy 3500 diesel dually and it's a perfect match for the towing duty it has to do.

Oh, and Coldjensens I humbly submit that if you have to occasionally wiggle your left foot in order to be able to remain paying attention to driving, youre a crap driver. Are you seriously saying that you have to be shifting a car in order to force you to pay attention to driving? How do you handle highway trips? Do you regularly crash because you have it in top gear?

I mean, I like a good manual transmission, as well, and both my Mustang and my Mini Cooper have manuals (bought that way specifically), but I'm not going to be stupid enough to make those kinds of claims...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 AM

4,153 posts, read 7,656,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually an automatic, especially the Allison automatic in the big GM trucks, works stunning for towing heavy loads. I have an automatic in my Chevy 3500 diesel dually and it's a perfect match for the towing duty it has to do.

Oh, and Coldjensens I humbly submit that if you have to occasionally wiggle your left foot in order to be able to remain paying attention to driving, youre a crap driver. Are you seriously saying that you have to be shifting a car in order to force you to pay attention to driving? How do you handle highway trips? Do you regularly crash because you have it in top gear?

I mean, I like a good manual transmission, as well, and both my Mustang and my Mini Cooper have manuals (bought that way specifically), but I'm not going to be stupid enough to make those kinds of claims...
Yes sir, it's some what rare to find a manual gear box in a modern truck whether it be a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 Ton. Tess modern day automatics have no problem pulling large loads.

As for me, my work truck is a manual 10 speed while my personal vehicle is an auto. I'll pretty much drive anything but prefer an automatic for large city traffic driving. Heck, I don't even use the clutch on my work truck, if you use the clutch you have to double clutch which wears you out in no time! Since big trucks are unsycronized, I float every gear up and down.

PS, They make an auto for semi tractors but I wouldn't use one. You have better control over your gears with a manual.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM

24,738 posts, read 59,687,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

No. It is not wiggling your left foot, it is the fact that you have to interact with the car more rather than just holding the steering wheel. You have to focus more on what the car is doing and on what you are doing. You have to remain alert and pay attention to the sound of the motor to know when you need to shift. It engages the driver and helps them avoid having their thoughts drift away from driving. This is true of all drivers. If you think that you are an exception and your thoughts never drift from driving, then you are more at risk of causing an accident than those who are aware of this fact.

You would be stupid not to make or accept those claims. There have been studies that determined that this is the case. You can probably find them or references to them if you want to spend a hour or two searching the internet.

It is a well known fact that the human brain tends to drift off onto other thoughts while driving.

There are other things that also make drivers focus more on driving. One is driving with your shoes off (I do not know why). It makes no sense to me that some places make it illegal to drive with your shoes off.

And by the way, people who know me and do not just make assumptions or try to insult people at every opportunity often comment that I am an exceptional driver and usually ask me to drive when conditions are hazardous. The reason is that I pay attention and usually react quickly and properly to problems. I do nto usually drift off and think about other things, or get lost in conversation or music like too many drivers tend to do. I never tailgate, I never charge up to an intersection and then try to stop in a hurry, I use turn signals, never forget to check blind spots, always stay aware of very car that is near or approaching me, watch the sides of the road rather than focussing only on the road and never drive when I am too tired or intoxicated. I have avoided major accidents several times by reacting quicky and properly because I was paying attentions and/or anticipated the possibility of a dumb move by another drive. But hey, depending on your definitions, perhaps I am a crap driver. If so, I am glad to be such.

Why the insults? Are you short, or are you trying to compensate for some other self precieved deficiency that makes you feel that you have to insult people that you know nothing about?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
There is also a current thread running here, about "self dimming" mirrors. If our national culture can't even tolerate the overwhelming burden of reaching up and flipping a mirror once each night, how do you expect them to manually shift gears several hundred times a day?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,617,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why the insults? Are you short, or are you trying to compensate for some other self precieved deficiency that makes you feel that you have to insult people that you know nothing about?
What does being short have to do with insulting people? I'm a good humored short guy. You're talking about height, right?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM

575 posts, read 801,641 times
Most americans don't want to be bothered. they would rather have it easy. I personally know a few people who would rather throw money at something rather then take the less expensive manual transmission. It's not just cars though. Many american want everything to be easy.

As for myself, I would rather have the manual tranny every time. I think it is a shame that it is not even offered on some vehicles.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,656,803 times
I think a lot of it has to do with the automatic transmission being built here in the states. I'm not 100% sure but I believe guy down the road from me named Jim Hall was first credited with the automatic transmission. The idea that lead to this move was actually European auto racing. Jim Hall was big into racing and spent a lot of time over seas racing his hand built cars powered by big block Chevys...Europe finally banned the big block Chevy after loosing a few dozen races. Anyhow, Jim entered an endurance race which was brutal on all drivers...hints endurance. So he came up with the idea of mating a Hydraulic torque converter to a manual transmission. This freed the driver from having to use energy on a clutch. If I recall, Jim Hall's Chaparral car won that race that year. I guess it was a key event that got Ford looking into an automatic gear box and then Chevy etc. A lot of thing ps also changed in America during this time, they stopped farming and started buying their food from Walmart. So they don't have any need for manual tractors etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I think everyone should know how to drive a manual but people here in the states like autos.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,533,614 times
Hypothetical: Our big engines are less taxed by the horsepower needed for the automatic transmission to run itself, so fewer people favor an automatic, except for small cars.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,794,504 times
It is mostly about the price of gas. Gas is taxed so much in Europe that it makes sense to have a manual transmission due to the better gas mileage...

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM

15,252 posts, read 15,250,601 times
I love stick. In fact on of the cheapest ways to improve highway gas mileage is to add a extra gear as in 5th=overdrive........6th=super overdrive. I would have no problem driving a stick with 6 or 7 gears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive