U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM

3,139 posts, read 6,905,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Just correcting some errors and/or inaccuracies.

You don't have to whine every time I do so. Just skip right over my posts because, and this may surprise you, but others are probably interested in my posts.

Other members are posting in this thread and I will do so when I think it's appropriate. Keep it up and I'll report you for harassment.
It is always humorous when somebody takes the forums a little to seriously.

But really...

I love having a manual transmission. But the fact is it is the the minority point of view and will continue to be.

I do wish they built the Volvo XC wagon with a stick though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Spend an hour in DC's stop and go traffic on I-66 or I-95 and your sore left leg will tell you why manual transmissions are not selling well. Then repeat that fun morning and evening five days per week. Ouch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,614,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Spend an hour in DC's stop and go traffic on I-66 or I-95 and your sore left leg will tell you why manual transmissions are not selling well. Then repeat that fun morning and evening five days per week. Ouch.
Don't we spend millions of dollars in mass transit and park-n-rides so that you don't get a sore leg?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM

352 posts, read 602,465 times
All my cars have been manual transmission; I currently have a 6 speed Saab and love it!

I don't like driving automatics, it feels like I have no control of the car.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM

16,174 posts, read 27,435,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not a problem with newer automobiles. These even include "hill assist" to prevent the vehicle from moving back when you release the clutch to take off on a hill. The clutch is also hydraulically assisted (in some automobiles), which in turn makes the pedal very light.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 AM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
It is always humorous when somebody takes the forums a little to seriously.

But really...

I love having a manual transmission. But the fact is it is the the minority point of view and will continue to be.

I do wish they built the Volvo XC wagon with a stick though.
Yes, some people do take the forums a little too seriously.

Other people, though, have a right to be able to post without being attacked or harassed.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
All my cars have been manual transmission; I currently have a 6 speed Saab and love it!

I don't like driving automatics, it feels like I have no control of the car.
Did you disconnect the power steering and power brakes on you car so you have "more control?"

I enjoy driving cars with automatics which helps a lot because 3 of the 4 cars I own were not available with manuals. I also enjoy at times shifting manually and/or shifting into a lower gear when driving on an upgrade or downgrade.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 AM

13,439 posts, read 15,046,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not a problem with newer automobiles. These even include "hill assist" to prevent the vehicle from moving back when you release the clutch to take off on a hill. The clutch is also hydraulically assisted (in some automobiles), which in turn makes the pedal very light.
Because using the emergency brake while slipping the clutch was just too difficult.

Honestly, I'm getting pretty lazy. I've never owned an automatic in my life but the next car just might be one.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,340,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I grew up in Europe and still visit; manual trans cars are still common there. In fact, last time I was in the UK, it was cheaper to rent a manual trans car than an automatic - do US rental agencies even rent manual vehicles, exotics excepted?
In most cases in the last 30 years an automatic transmission out performs and gets better millage than a manual transmission. Automatics grew up and manual transmissions had no where to grow to.

85% of my cars in the last 40 years were manual. I have three trucks right now, two automatics and one manual. The truck with the manual is going to be for sale within the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Did you disconnect the power steering and power brakes on you car so you have "more control?",,,.
Vehicles produced without power steering and power brakes have different steering boxes and brake servos than vehicles produced with power steering and power brakes. Not a fair question.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Vehicles produced without power steering and power brakes have different steering boxes and brake servos than vehicles produced with power steering and power brakes. Not a fair question.
If there was a choice, would you buy a car without power brakes and steering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive