U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,177 posts, read 27,491,477 times
Reputation: 11841

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not lazy; more practical is probably closer to the truth. Automatic transmissions are very practical.
That's a matter of perspective. To me a manual transmission is more practical since these require little repair if ever, and I can do the work myself.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,155 posts, read 26,655,982 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's a matter of perspective. To me a manual transmission is more practical since these require little repair if ever, and I can do the work myself.
For you, a manual is more practical.
You're right; it is a matter of perspective. Perspective such as...

(Why automatics are practical)

- You can't grind the gears by mistake.
- You can't lug the engine.
- You can shift it manually or automatically.
- No problem when a husband and wife have only one car and take turns driving it.

Many automatic transmissions require little, if any, repair.
My mom drove a 1970 Cadillac Coupe de Ville from 1988 to the early 2000s. Not only was the transmission never rebuilt but the fluid was never changed! And it did pass the 200,000 mile mark.

The transmissions in my 4 cars ('66 Plymouth Fury VIP, '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car) are all original; never been rebuilt. A rear seal was put on the limo's transmission, which is a minor job.

With the '66 Dart GT V-8 (with Torqueflite automatic) I used to own, I would do burnouts often with it, get rubber in 2nd gear a lot (I put in a shift kit) and took it up to 75 mph in 2nd gear. Never a complaint from the transmission. Same thing with my current '66 Plymouth.

I wouldn't let the concern of the possible repair of an automatic transmission prevent my from buying a car with one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,511,634 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's a matter of perspective. To me a manual transmission is more practical since these require little repair if ever, and I can do the work myself.
The first mechanical job I ever did, at 16, was rebuilding the C6 automatic in my '71 Torino GT. It's complex, but not that hard to do.

The stock automatic in my BMW 740iL is still original, including the original fluid, and working great, at 185k miles.

As for as I've seen, in 35 years of driving and working on cars, automatics overall tend to be just as reliable as manuals (and just like manuals, a couple specific models are problematic and should be stayed away from)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,651,856 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
- No problem when a husband and wife have only one car and take turns driving it.
Hey now, that one's true for both transmission types as well.

Since Dallas sucks all the fun out of driving and it's so damn hard to find cars with a stick shift, I've conceded to include automatic BMW 3 series' in my search as well, my wife is more upset about that than I am.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,155 posts, read 26,655,982 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Hey now, that one's true for both transmission types as well.

Since Dallas sucks all the fun out of driving and it's so damn hard to find cars with a stick shift, I've conceded to include automatic BMW 3 series' in my search as well, my wife is more upset about that than I am.
No it isn't.
Some women can't learn to drive a car with a manual transmission. I remember a co-worker trying to learn how to in the back parking lot where I worked. She just couldn't get the hang of it.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a car with a manual to have fun driving... just drive the type of car that is fun to drive in the first place.

Last edited by Fleet; 08-09-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,754,334 times
Reputation: 10227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No it isn't.
Some women can't learn to drive a car with a manual transmission. I remember a co-worker trying to learn how to in the back parking lot where I worked. She just couldn't get the hang of it.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a car with a manual to have fun driving... just drive the type of car that is fun to drive in the first place.
Some men can't either. It's not a gender thing, give me a break.

I am the OP, and a petite woman, and used to drive a semi over the road with a Peterbilt 18-speed transmission. I even taught some men to drive it.

Please, no stereotyping!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,155 posts, read 26,655,982 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Some men can't either. It's not a gender thing, give me a break.

I am the OP, and a petite woman, and used to drive a semi over the road with a Peterbilt 18-speed transmission. I even taught some men to drive it.

Please, no stereotyping!
No stereotyping here. In general, more men than women can and do drive cars with manuals.

It doesn't change what I originally posted... that an automatic is practical because anyone who can drive a car can drive a car with an automatic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,651,856 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No it isn't.
Some women can't learn to drive a car with a manual transmission. I remember a co-worker trying to learn how to in the back parking lot where I worked. She just couldn't get the hang of it.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a car with a manual to have fun driving... just drive the type of car that is fun to drive in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No stereotyping here. In general, more men than women can and do drive cars with manuals.

It doesn't change what I originally posted... that an automatic is practical because anyone who can drive a car can drive a car with an automatic.
Though that might be true in the US, it's interest based, as in: More men are interested in knowing how to drive a stick. In Norway everyone knows how to drive stick, because that's what you learn with, no differences between the genders at all.

And I need a manual, or at least double clutch one to really have fun. No car is fun in Dallas, the car isn't the issue, the roads are.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,754,334 times
Reputation: 10227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No stereotyping here. In general, more men than women can and do drive cars with manuals.

It doesn't change what I originally posted... that an automatic is practical because anyone who can drive a car can drive a car with an automatic.
I don't necessarily disagree with your original premise (automatics are more practical because any old shmoe can drive them, including men and 7-year-olds) but your comment about women being unable to drive one is wrong and stereotypical.

That fewer women are interested in learning and driving? Sure, that's probable. Women in general are more practical and less interested in mechanics and the process of things than men - they are more interested in the fastest and most economical way of doing things. That all things being equal, women are more likely to not get the hang of it than men? I call bullschmidt. Give me a cite if want to be taken seriously, not some silly, lone anecdote about a co-worker of yours.

And bear in mind if you want to rely on anecdotes you will be responding to a female who has driven stick shifts and prefers to for about four decades, who can parallel-park a semi and has helped teach men how to drive an 18-speed.

Quote:
Some women can't learn to drive a car with a manual transmission. I remember a co-worker trying to learn how to in the back parking lot where I worked. She just couldn't get the hang of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,155 posts, read 26,655,982 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with your original premise (automatics are more practical because any old shmoe can drive them, including men and 7-year-olds) but your comment about women being unable to drive one is wrong and stereotypical.
I didn't say that. I did not say that all women cannot drive a car with a manual. If I didn't make it clear the first time, I was saying that an automatic is more practical because in some cases, there are households which share one car and one of the drivers does not know how to drive a car with a manual. The one not knowing how is usually (but not always) a women. It's nothing against the women... it's not a terrible thing is she doesn't know how or even does not want to learn how to drive a car (or truck) with an automatic. There are plenty of choices (cars & trucks) out there available with an automatic transmission.

Quote:
That fewer women are interested in learning and driving? Sure, that's probable. Women in general are more practical and less interested in mechanics and the process of things than men - they are more interested in the fastest and most economical way of doing things. That all things being equal, women are more likely to not get the hang of it than men? I call x. Give me a cite if want to be taken seriously, not some silly, lone anecdote about a co-worker of yours.
THAT is what I was saying.

Quote:
And bear in mind if you want to rely on anecdotes you will be responding to a female who has driven stick shifts and prefers to for about four decades, who can parallel-park a semi and has helped teach men how to drive an 18-speed.
I think you are taking my posts a little too seriously.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top