U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,152 posts, read 26,628,616 times
Reputation: 6441

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Though that might be true in the US, it's interest based, as in: More men are interested in knowing how to drive a stick. In Norway everyone knows how to drive stick, because that's what you learn with, no differences between the genders at all.
Yes, of course, it can and does differ depending on the country and even different areas of the same country.

Quote:
And I need a manual, or at least double clutch one to really have fun. No car is fun in Dallas, the car isn't the issue, the roads are.
I have to agree with Merc63...it's the car that makes driving fun (or not), not how the gears are shifted. I drove a '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 with an automatic transmission for about 16 years. I never thought of replacing it with another car during that time because I had fun driving it. If it had a manual transmission, I doubt I would have had more fun driving it because I shifted it manually very often, it would get rubber in 2nd gear (sometimes 3rd gear, too) and it would stay in the gear I selected until I shifted it. For example, I took it up to 75 mph in 2nd gear by manually shifting it and 1st gear up to 45 mph. And for some real fun, I would coast at about 25 mph, shift into 1st and floor it. It great to feel the kick of acceleration. And, btw, all this stuff didn't hurt the transmission at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,640,775 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, of course, it can and does differ depending on the country and even different areas of the same country.



I have to agree with Merc63...it's the car that makes driving fun (or not), not how the gears are shifted. I drove a '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 with an automatic transmission for about 16 years. I never thought of replacing it with another car during that time because I had fun driving it. If it had a manual transmission, I doubt I would have had more fun driving it because I shifted it manually very often, it would get rubber in 2nd gear (sometimes 3rd gear, too) and it would stay in the gear I selected until I shifted it. For example, I took it up to 75 mph in 2nd gear by manually shifting it and 1st gear up to 45 mph. And for some real fun, I would coast at about 25 mph, shift into 1st and floor it. It great to feel the kick of acceleration. And, btw, all this stuff didn't hurt the transmission at all.
We've discussed it before, I disagree.

I've had a ton of fun in my completely stock 1.3L 83hp Toyota Corolla, that little bastard was a riot to punish.

I've had endless fun "racing" work vans (a 2.5d Hyundai that topped out around 70 mph) back home from the work site (it would power slide on ANYTHING, dry warm asphalt included.)

I've even enjoyed some sub 70hp cars.

The car can increase the level of fun, but what makes driving fun to me is the road and there aren't any in or around Dallas that are fun... at all. Because of that, I've conceded to look at automatics as well, because I don't like driving autos when I'm trying to have fun, I think they're annoying, even when you can decide the gear yourself.

The only thing you can do in Dalas is "between the lights" drag racing and for that I don't really care about the trans as I don't find it terribly amusing in the first place.

So for me, it's not the car, but the road, and if I have the right road, I want the right transmission (for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,176 posts, read 27,454,946 times
Reputation: 11838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
For you, a manual is more practical.
You're right; it is a matter of perspective. Perspective such as...

(Why automatics are practical)

- You can't grind the gears by mistake.
- You can't lug the engine.
- You can shift it manually or automatically.
- No problem when a husband and wife have only one car and take turns driving it.

Many automatic transmissions require little, if any, repair.
My mom drove a 1970 Cadillac Coupe de Ville from 1988 to the early 2000s. Not only was the transmission never rebuilt but the fluid was never changed! And it did pass the 200,000 mile mark.

The transmissions in my 4 cars ('66 Plymouth Fury VIP, '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car) are all original; never been rebuilt. A rear seal was put on the limo's transmission, which is a minor job.

With the '66 Dart GT V-8 (with Torqueflite automatic) I used to own, I would do burnouts often with it, get rubber in 2nd gear a lot (I put in a shift kit) and took it up to 75 mph in 2nd gear. Never a complaint from the transmission. Same thing with my current '66 Plymouth.

I wouldn't let the concern of the possible repair of an automatic transmission prevent my from buying a car with one.
It's a matter of perspective. I have both (different automobiles), and both my wife and I have driven automobiles with manual transmissions for many years.

Lug the motor? Maybe a person who does not know how to operate a manual transmission

Tell me of one 2009 and later automobile with an automatic transmission that does not require the fluid be changed at regular intervals (around 30,000 miles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,152 posts, read 26,628,616 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It's a matter of perspective. I have both (different automobiles), and both my wife and I have driven automobiles with manual transmissions for many years.
Well, that's two people out of millions in the country who drive.

Quote:
Lug the motor? Maybe a person who does not know how to operate a manual transmission
I haven't really seen anyone lug the engine recently, but I've heard some gear-grinding at times.

Quote:
Tell me of one 2009 and later automobile with an automatic transmission that does not require the fluid be changed at regular intervals (around 30,000 miles).
For the record, the owner's manuals for 1960s Mopars with the Torqueflite automatic transmissions said the transmission fluid will last the life of the car under normal service and does not need to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,176 posts, read 27,454,946 times
Reputation: 11838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, that's two people out of millions in the country who drive.



I haven't really seen anyone lug the engine recently, but I've heard some gear-grinding at times.



For the record, the owner's manuals for 1960s Mopars with the Torqueflite automatic transmissions said the transmission fluid will last the life of the car under normal service and does not need to be changed.
Grinding gears? Have you ever operated an old AC grader? Even with all the gear grinding during double-clutching, these machines still around over 50 years later
Tell me of one 2009 and later automobile with an automatic transmission that does not require its fluid be replaced at regular intervals.

But please understand that I am not trying to argue with you. While I enjoy automatic transmissions, I prefer manual ones. I have a lot more fun when I shift a manual transmission when driving around on my days off. If you show me two identical cars, one with a manual transmission and the other with an automatic one, I always choose the manual one because that's what I like the most. By the way, if you offer me a Ferrari F40 (free, of course), I will be forever grateful

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-10-2011 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,152 posts, read 26,628,616 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Grinding gears? Have you ever operated an old AC grader? Even with all the gear grinding during double-clutching, these machines still around over 50 years later
I don't think the cars I heard the gears being ground did them any good!

Quote:
Tell me of one 2009 and later automobile with an automatic transmission that does not require its fluid be replaced at regular intervals.
I wouldn't know because my interest is mainly classic cars. Maybe some else has the answer. But what does it have to do with what I said? The fact that Mopar automatic transmissions did not need fluid changes over 40 years ago does show that reliable, rugged transmission were being built.

Quote:
But please understand that I am not trying to argue with you. While I enjoy automatic transmissions, I prefer manual ones. I have a lot more fun when I shift a manual transmission when driving around on my days off. If you show me two identical cars, one with a manual transmission and the other with an automatic one, I always choose the manual one because that's what I like the most. By the way, if you offer me a Ferrari F40 (free, of course), I will be forever grateful
That's fine; I prefer automatics because you have two choices... shift it manually or let it shift automatically. If i owned two identical cars I like a lot, like a '69 Dodge Charger R/T 440-Magnum, one with a manual and the other with an automatic, I would probably like both equally. Maybe the automatic even more because the Mopar automatics were excellent transmissions.

Of course, with the big American luxury cars I like (Cadillacs, Lincolns, Imperials), they only came with an automatic, which is fine with me.

BTW, if you offer me a '70 Plymouth Hemicuda, a '70 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 455 W-30, a '70 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 LS6 or a '70 Buick GSX 455 Stage 1 (at no charge), I will be forever grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,152 posts, read 26,628,616 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
We've discussed it before, I disagree.

I've had a ton of fun in my completely stock 1.3L 83hp Toyota Corolla, that little bastard was a riot to punish.

I've had endless fun "racing" work vans (a 2.5d Hyundai that topped out around 70 mph) back home from the work site (it would power slide on ANYTHING, dry warm asphalt included.)

I've even enjoyed some sub 70hp cars.

The car can increase the level of fun, but what makes driving fun to me is the road and there aren't any in or around Dallas that are fun... at all. Because of that, I've conceded to look at automatics as well, because I don't like driving autos when I'm trying to have fun, I think they're annoying, even when you can decide the gear yourself.

The only thing you can do in Dalas is "between the lights" drag racing and for that I don't really care about the trans as I don't find it terribly amusing in the first place.

So for me, it's not the car, but the road, and if I have the right road, I want the right transmission (for me).
That is valid for you but not for me. I don't own and wouldn't want to own any sub-70 hp cars. Besides, one of those wouldn't be fun for me to drive no matter what transmission it has. I like cars with a lot of low-end torque.

Again, I don't base my enjoyment of a car on what transmission it has. That would eliminate many enjoyable cars. And come on... an 83 hp Toyota? How much fun can you really have with one of those? I like cars that can burn rubber at will (without having to powerbrake or going around in circles; just off the line).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,495,564 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Tell me of one 2009 and later automobile with an automatic transmission that does not require the fluid be changed at regular intervals (around 30,000 miles).
BMWs. Even mine is a lifetime fill (and it's at 185k miles now). My '01 Range Rover was the same, and I'm sure the new ones are, too. They don't even have dipsticks to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,222 posts, read 6,997,070 times
Reputation: 6603
One of the biggest advantages of having a vehicle with a MANUAL transmission is the ability to get it started by rolling down a hill or getting some of your dormitory neighbors to give you a push. Try that with most automatic transmission cars and you are S.O.L.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,823 posts, read 30,068,682 times
Reputation: 17698
I had a manual tranny until I moved to the big city. 20 miles of 0-25 mph is just way to much to deal with during a commute every day.

Plus, on really rocky steep off road just trying to keep your foot on the clutch, much the less the wheel, can be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top